So tell me again, why was Obama so bad?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Race relations isn't something advantageous for american conservatives to bring up. To wit:

The party never left Reagan nor vice versa, given he surely approved of the party's Willie Horton ad & such despite proclamations that some of their best friends are black. In generally the message that conservatism is minority-friendly is meant for an audience of your peers to tell themselves they're not racist despite forming around a platform to oppose civil rights.

Speaking of sheep, american conservatism advocates for the interests of the gentry, and it's somewhat in their interest that uneducated whites get a class of minorities with lower social status underneath them. Not really any different than back in the day. Whether that's worth giving up collective bargaining & such is doubtful, but their constituents do love hating on anyone said to be too uppity.

Reminds me of something Lyndon Johnson once said-

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Some things apparently never change.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
1. Not a US citizen, we gave the highest office in the land to an illegal immigrant.
2. He is a Muslim
3. He he is a radical white hating christian.
4. He gave Hillary access to the time machine to kill Vince Foster and replace his briefcase with one containing only the white pages from 2014.
5. He setup FEMA camps to force gun owners to get gay married.
6. He hates white people because he is black.
7. He hates black people because he isn't really black.
8. He banned guns in the US
9. He took away all guns in the US

Or because reasons!
Didnt Michelle go to Ireland and claim her husband was Irish?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We create what we fear. I know that is not understood because the foundational insight on which perception of that truth rests is not available to most people. But Obama is seen as terribly frightening to the right wing. It is going to be amusing when that fear creates an opponent that matches that fantasy in reality, a President who will seek to destroy them mercilessly and without compromise, but ing, of course, in a very sad way, the karmic inevitability of those who sleep for fear of awakening.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Honestly I am not informed enough about the TPP to have an opinion. I can only state that prominent economists sharply disagree on whether overall it'll be a good thing for the US or a bad thing.

We need leaders who vow to crush Wall Street. Not who serve them.

Bernie Sanders:
“Wall Street and other big corporations have won again. It is time for the rest of us to stop letting multi-national corporations rig the system to pad their profits at our expense.”

Donald Trump:

“Globalization has made the financial elite who donate to politicians very wealthy. But it has left millions of our workers with nothing but poverty and heartache,” he said.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Bernie Sanders:
“Wall Street and other big corporations have won again. It is time for the rest of us to stop letting multi-national corporations rig the system to pad their profits at our expense.”

Donald Trump:

“Globalization has made the financial elite who donate to politicians very wealthy. But it has left millions of our workers with nothing but poverty and heartache,” he said.
However Bernie has spent a lifetime fighting for the most needy and vulnerable, and Trump has spent a lifetime looking down on and exploiting those people. As they say, actions speak louder than words. And Trump's horrible bullshit is LOUD, but his actions are vile, evil, and loud. Much like anyone who would support him.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
However Bernie has spent a lifetime fighting for the most needy and vulnerable, and Trump

You had your chance to win my vote with Bernie.

Obama's biggest problem was letting Neocon Hillary in the door.
Hillary is still the problem with the DNC today.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

How is Trump better? If anything he seems much worse if you care about reigning in Wall Street. He might talk about how he wants to help, but his actual policies shower incredible riches on bankers and basically grant their every wish in terms of deregulation. He's a banker's best friend.

Reactions: thraashman

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000

Choosing Trump over Hillary is like choosing to eat a Ebola infested turd on a bun because your burger got burnt and they forgot the cheese.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Bernie Sanders:

Donald Trump:

Sanders is genuine. Trump is a huckster & has been his whole adult life. His record as a businessman shows he can't be trusted. If he & a companion were being chased by a bear, he'd trip the other guy & run harder.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
A car with 300k miles has had to have some work on it even just changing the brakes. I assume you did it yourself, but that wouldn't be a fair comparison with people who are less mechanically inclined.

The BRAKES were never changed, the muffler was intact, spark plugs never changed, not a single thing other than changing the oil/filters/tires. I have a had my current car since 2011 and not a single issue with it yet. Asian cars have it ALL over American cars when it comes to real quality.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
We create what we fear. I know that is not understood because the foundational insight on which perception of that truth rests is not available to most people. But Obama is seen as terribly frightening to the right wing. It is going to be amusing when that fear creates an opponent that matches that fantasy in reality, a President who will seek to destroy them mercilessly and without compromise, but ing, of course, in a very sad way, the karmic inevitability of those who sleep for fear of awakening.
I'm reading a book now that true to Buddhist form enlightens greatly the prison we put ourselves in with our minds. Feeling something can be a reason to fear or lash out, yet investigating those feelings instead of purely reacting brings inner and outer peace, love, harmony, and understanding. And fear tears it all apart.

Also the rational mind can interfere with the philosophical and spiritual heart-mind.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm reading a book now that true to Buddhist form enlightens greatly the prison we put ourselves in with our minds. Feeling something can be a reason to fear or lash out, yet investigating those feelings instead of purely reacting brings inner and outer peace, love, harmony, and understanding. And fear tears it all apart.

Also the rational mind can interfere with the philosophical and spiritual heart-mind.
Reason without intuitive feeling is Teller vs Einstein.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Reason without intuitive feeling is Teller vs Einstein.
Interesting. In the forward of this book by Ram Dass he says that Einstein said he had to shed his rational mind to find those equations and theorems.

Robert Samples: The metaphoric mind is a maverick. It is as wild and unruly as a child. It follows us doggedly and plagues us with its presence as we wander the contrived corridors of rationality. It is a metaphoric link with the unknown called religion that causes us to build cathedrals — and the very cathedrals are built with rational, logical plans. When some personal crisis or the bewildering chaos of everyday life closes in on us, we often rush to worship the rationally-planned cathedral and ignore the religion. Albert Einstein called the intuitive or metaphoric mind a sacred gift. He added that the rational mind was a faithful servant.

It is paradoxical that in the context of modern life we have begun to worship the servant and defile the divine.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016

Both Obama and Clinton are centrists, meaning they are somewhat conservative in their approach to a degree, rather evident given they see eye to eye on military/security issues with the GOP. People on the left see that as problematic, but not necessarily for the reason you propose.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Interesting. In the forward of this book by Ram Dass he says that Einstein said he had to shed his rational mind to find those equations and theorems.

Well, what Einstein considers "intuitive/rational" isn't really applicable to most of the public. He means he didn't approach these rather technical subjects mechanically but more conceptually, sort of like you can do algebra by applying the algorithm or by intuitive almost visual reasoning.

You also mentioned Buddhism, so it's worth pointing out there's significant overlap between some of these eastern (transcendental) philosophies and what is considered existentialism in the west.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Well, what Einstein considers "intuitive/rational" isn't really applicable to most of the public. He means he didn't approach these rather technical subjects mechanically but more conceptually, sort of like you can do algebra by applying the algorithm or by intuitive almost visual reasoning.

You also mentioned Buddhism, so it's worth pointing out there's significant overlap between some of these eastern (transcendental) philosophies and what is considered existentialism in the west.
Yes I can see some overlap, although existentialists are firmly rooted in individualism, and I'd say Buddhists see utter connectedness.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Robert Samples: The metaphoric mind is a maverick. It is as wild and unruly as a child. It follows us doggedly and plagues us with its presence as we wander the contrived corridors of rationality. It is a metaphoric link with the unknown called religion that causes us to build cathedrals — and the very cathedrals are built with rational, logical plans. When some personal crisis or the bewildering chaos of everyday life closes in on us, we often rush to worship the rationally-planned cathedral and ignore the religion. Albert Einstein called the intuitive or metaphoric mind a sacred gift. He added that the rational mind was a faithful servant. [/QUOTE]

Reason is insufficient because reason can serve many masters. Only intuition opens the door to reason's true master. Reason and intuition are one and the same in the service of love. We invented religion because of separation, separation from love. We project our love out there because we were made to feel empty within. We do not see that the answer to our longing to be loved is very simple. All that is required to be loved is to love. Oh My Beloved; wherever I look it appears to be Thou.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Yes I can see some overlap, although existentialists are firmly rooted in individualism, and I'd say Buddhists see utter connectedness.

IMO a matter of perspective, existentialism tackles personal perspective first in an attempt to see reality more clearly, various eastern approaches consider reality for it is with the ultimate goal of personal change/growth. It's not exactly clear cut since Nietzsche was for example considered iconic existentialism and much of this work analyzed society objectively.

Reason is insufficient because reason can serve many masters. Only intuition opens the door to reason's true master. Reason and intuition are one and the same in the service of love. We invented religion because of separation, separation from love. We project our love out there because we were made to feel empty within. We do not see that the answer to our longing to be loved is very simple. All that is required to be loved is to love. Oh My Beloved; wherever I look it appears to be Thou.

It made more sense to me that religion of the abrahamic sort was a successful rationalization by/for the weaker classes of their virtues, ie egalitarian ideals which don't quite exist as natural law. I've always considered this slave morality as the avenue by which these groups could/should continue to successfully market themselves instead of the wedge issues bullshit.

Biologically speaking, humans contain a number of interesting psychological tools for adaptation, feeling of love an example for social cohesion. But what really makes us unique is the ability to use them to build more complex abstractions to act along, ie any number of -isms to interpret the world toward some end.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Robert Samples: The metaphoric mind is a maverick. It is as wild and unruly as a child. It follows us doggedly and plagues us with its presence as we wander the contrived corridors of rationality. It is a metaphoric link with the unknown called religion that causes us to build cathedrals — and the very cathedrals are built with rational, logical plans. When some personal crisis or the bewildering chaos of everyday life closes in on us, we often rush to worship the rationally-planned cathedral and ignore the religion. Albert Einstein called the intuitive or metaphoric mind a sacred gift. He added that the rational mind was a faithful servant.

For a while I failed to trust my intuition, and the love left. After many violent challenges when I was a child, I stopped trusting love too. In giving and receiving love as I was older an awakening occurred and heaviness fell away.

On the world stage lately I see mostly fear and hate. It's no wonder many shield themselves from love because there seems to be so much to fear. I believe that Obama is aware of all this, and incorporates it when he can, but the fight wins in his position.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
IMO a matter of perspective, existentialism tackles personal perspective first in an attempt to see reality more clearly, various eastern approaches consider reality for it is with the ultimate goal of personal change/growth. It's not exactly clear cut since Nietzsche was for example considered iconic existentialism and much of this work analyzed society objectively.

It made more sense to me that religion of the abrahamic sort was a successful rationalization by/for the weaker classes of their virtues, ie egalitarian ideals which don't quite exist as natural law. I've always considered this slave morality as the avenue by which these groups could/should continue to successfully market themselves instead of the wedge issues bullshit.

Biologically speaking, humans contain a number of interesting psychological tools for adaptation, feeling of love an example for social cohesion. But what really makes us unique is the ability to use them to build more complex abstractions to act along, ie any number of -isms to interpret the world toward some end.
We like to try and make sense of things. Abstracts are difficult to just let be. "Love means this, love means that." We know love regardless. We intuit love.

When I look at our two candidates, love doesn't appear to be in the forefront. I did feel that from Obama in the beginning. There's so much contention it gets tuned out as the masses deeply know what's wrong, but on the surface becomes reasons to hate.