So....Sandra Fluke may run for congress

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sea Ray

Golden Member
May 30, 2013
And Matt1970, fresh from showing how much of a bigot he is, now shows his medical ignorance in the same day.

So Dr. matt1970, you are now an expert on womens' birth control? I think not. Anything else you want to make up and claim as fact?

Why get hung up on the cost? I think we can agree that many people need more important Rxs that are more pricey, like say insulin, but the difference is they're not mandated by the heavy hand of gov't to be "free". Why does BC get that designation if not for politics and this War on Women?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
So damn what? People require meds all the time for medical conditions but the gov't doesn't require that the meds be given to them free of charge, co-pays or deductibles

That's another issue. However, it's not worth smearing someones Character over.

The_AC

May 29, 2012
Sweet; some new items I just added to my agenda:
- Go before congress and convince them to pass a law making it so auto insurance companies have to charge women extra, then they have to use that money to give free stuff to their male customers.
- Run for congress

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Once again, you fail to comprehend that not everyone can use the cheap drugs. Talk about clueless on your part.

I saw Delta had a $49 airfare sale....using Matt1970 nonlogic, that means that everyone that has $49 has no excuse not to fly where ever they want. Right? Right? Because everyone can afford $49 right? And don't worry, according to you, there won't be any higher prices.

Bravo! Keep digging that hole deeper. And keep on with the faux rage about people daring to sing songs in languages other then English. Have you called your congressperson to demand a new law to outlaw that yet?

Once again you are the one putting words in my mouth and then calling me a liar. I never once said everyone can take the $9. Planned parenthood doesn't even acknowledge the $3000 claim. "Cost about $15–$50 each month"

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-pill-4228.htm

I am not the one who got in front of the world and claimed what the price of birth control pills. That was Sandra Fluke. It's he job to paint the entire picture, not just the angle she wants to try and get what she wants. She stated that 40% of Georgetown Law School's female population suffered financial hardship as a result of birth control not being covered by the student health insurance plan. She also insisted that the women of Georgetown, other religious schools, and employees of religious institutions such as hospitals have endured "financial, emotional and medical burdens because of this lack of contraceptive coverage."

You know god damn well she is trying to imply everyone is paying $3000 for 36 months worth. Her dishonesty is just fine with you but I better dare not I mention the $9 without mentioning every price or poor Garfield will be enraged out my "dishonesty". You are about as dishonest as they come.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Elections Have Consequences..you really want this "mattress back" slithering around public policy??

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
Elections Have Consequences..you really want this "mattress back" slithering around public policy??

Sure they do. She is the perfect Liberal. Make a claim that only effects maybe 1% of the population, claims it applies to 40% of us all in the name of getting more free shit.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010

Absolutely.

Especially since it will make misogynists like you expose themselves.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Absolutely.

Especially since it will make misogynists like you expose themselves.

she's actually nothing more then a delightful house pet that has learned to walk up right from time to time. Just throw her a handful of contraceptives and she will do all kinds of satisfying tricks and always willing to learn more. Yes..send the house pet to public office.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
She's just another liberal that lacks integrity.

Catholics are fine with hormone therapy as a treatment for medical diseases.

Women can get a copper IUD (Paragard) for less than $700 total if they want effective birth control. It's good for 10 years and a lot safer than hormones.

The myth that the IUD causes PID is wrong. It came from an old study that failed to control for increased risky sexual behavior (can't get pregnant so no condom use) leading to increased rate of gonorrhea infection, which can cause PID.

New studies with better controls show that the ParaGard doesn't increase the risk for PID. No complications from hormones. Better contraceptive rate than the pill or condoms.

Last edited:

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
She's just another liberal that lacks integrity.

Catholics are fine with hormone therapy as a treatment for medical diseases.

Women can get a copper IUD (Paragard) for less than $700 total if they want effective birth control. It's good for 10 years and a lot safer than hormones.

The myth that the IUD causes PID is wrong. It came from an old study that failed to control for increased risky sexual behavior (can't get pregnant so no condom use) leading to increased rate of gonorrhea infection, which can cause PID.

New studies with better controls show that the ParaGard doesn't increase the risk for PID. No complications from hormones. Better contraceptive rate than the pill or condoms.

Ah, what IUD do you use, since you seem to be an expert on Women's anatomy....

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
Ah, what IUD do you use, since you seem to be an expert on Women's anatomy....

I'm definitely not an expert. I only know a bit about OB/GYN.

http://bedsider.org/features/70

Mirena

• A Mirena prevents pregnancy by releasing a very small amount of a hormone called progesterone each day. This progesterone acts locally in the uterus to prevent pregnancy, instead of going throughout your whole body, the way the pill or some other hormonal methods do. The Mirena also contains no estrogen, so it has fewer hormonal side effects than a typical Pill.
  • Many women who start using the Mirena IUD have irregular bleeding for 3-6 months. This bleeding is usually more like spotting—light and not painful. But you may not be able to predict your periods for the first several months, so wear black underwear!
  • The good news about the Mirena? Once you get through the first 6 months, your periods usually stop altogether or are regular, light, short and not painful. If not having a period every month would make you sick to your stomach worrying that you’re pregnant, you might prefer a ParaGard.
ParaGard

• Most women who use ParaGard have heavier, longer, or crampier periods, especially for the first few months. After 6 months, many women’s periods return to normal. If you already have really heavy or uncomfortable periods, or you are anemic (too little iron in your blood), you might prefer a Mirena.
  • A ParaGard prevents pregnancy thanks to a tiny copper filament wrapped around the T. ParaGard contains no hormones of any kind—it’s the only super-effective non-hormonal birth control method around.
Still, the two IUDs have a lot in common:

• They work. Really, really well. Both IUDs are ranked among the most effective birth control methods you could use, up there with having your tubes tied.
  • They’re safe. Pretty much anyone who wants to prevent pregnancy for a year or more could use an IUD. Editor's note: We should say more explicitly that "pretty much anyone" DOES include women who have never had a baby. Our article IUDs are A-OK will tell you more about how IUDs are safe for most women—whether they've had a baby or not.
  • They’re small. They’re both shaped like a T, and the T itself is about as thick as a tampon string. The whole thing is smaller than an iPod Shuffle.
  • They are affordable. IUDs are covered by many insurers, and you may be able to get a free IUD if you go to a family planning clinic. If you have to pay for an IUD up-front, it can seem expensive. But if you use it for at least a year, it is actually cheaper than most other forms of birth control, and definitely cheaper than having a baby! A clinic may be able to help you pay for an IUD in installments.
  • They are easy to start using. You can usually have the IUD inserted at your first visit to your doctor. Having an IUD inserted feels similar to having a Pap smear, and takes about 60 seconds total.
  • An IUD works for a long time, but you can stop using it any time you like. The Mirena (with progesterone) lasts for up to 5 years. The ParaGard (with copper) lasts for up to 12 years.* Whenever you decide to have the IUD removed, you can get pregnant the next month.
  • They DON’T prevent sexually transmitted infections (just like the pill, patch, ring, and Depo). Condoms are still the only game in town if you want to prevent STIs.
The bottom line? Both methods are safe, effective, and easy to reverse. In a boxing match between ParaGard and Mirena, both would win.