So Saints Row IV came out today. Anyone playing it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
If you're playing just to get through all the quests, then you're not playing it right. The really fun part of the game is just starting it up and doing whatever the hell you want. Last night a friend and I spent 2 hours running around the city collecting the data cores and smashing each other with the tentacle bat.

This is one trend i dont like about new games. I gotta have some friend play the game with me to fully enjoy it. What about the people that just play games solo? Nobody cares about us anymore.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Well, I picked this up Friday and beat it last night. GF was out of town, so I spent the entire weekend playing it. I think I am around 87% complete. I have a some activities lefts to get gold on and a ton more orbs to collect, but everything else was mostly finished. I wish it was longer. Played it on normal and I think I died maybe 3 times, one of which was on the final boss.

I dislike I can't cause infinite mayhem without a warden coming. =( I want to see how long I can last against hordes of enemies! Genki ball is a lot of fun though.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I am 8 hours in and only 26% percent done. Loving this game. A lot to do. A couple weird glitches, but nothing game-breaking. Love the Dubstep gun.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Very fun game, I bought it only three days ago. In fact I also got SR: The Third from a recent humble bundle and thought "let's finally try that one". I have to admit that I never really thought much about the whole Saints Row series and I never played the first, nor the second either. So I went with The Third first (that was about three weeks ago or so) and I must say that I haven't been that surprised in a long time. For me Saints Row: The Third was a sleeper hit. It's not so for the industry in general, I know, it sold millions and was/is popular, but for me it's pretty much coming out of nowhere. I ended up liking The Third so much that I didn't take time to finish it and simply bought Saints Row IV, and I do that sort of thing with games very rarely (I.E. buying a sequel of a game I haven't finished yet just because I liked it that much).

I'm playing both games, so I switch between them when I have time to play. So one day I'll play a session of a few hours on my game-in-progress in The Third, and another day I continue my game in SRIV. I mostly have positives to think of about both games, and there's really not much I dislike. I do wish that Steelport would be bigger, however, and that we could free fall from much higher in the sky. Indeed, the sky "box" limit is very low and is only a few dozen meters higher than the tallest skyscraper of the city, so we don't get to free fall for long time, but that's a minor gripe I guess. It's more apparent I guess when I just want to fly around in the VTOL.

I really like the attention to details with the pedestrians. I heard before about the Saints Row games being "open world" and in fact often read that they were at least somewhat similar to Grand Theft Auto, but I really wasn't actually expecting that level of quality and details put into them. Some of them walk faster than others (that's attention to detail), some are using public phones, some are searching garbage bins, others would lean on a wall or sleep on a bench, or sometimes a group of three or four would be gathered together and display conversation animations (to simulate a group conversation), not to mention that when it rains some of them use their umbrella while others run and cover their head with a newspaper instead (good attention to detail there too). And there's even more (various comments/compliments/taunts they give you or amongst themselves, dancing on the street at random, some of them having different body builds than others, etc), it gives a good feeling of a lively city with active people going about their business.

And the above only covers what I like about pedestrians, but that's the tip of quite the iceberg of fun and gaming quality that - again I have to say - was not expecting for some reason. That's probably because I misjudged the franchise itself some time ago when a few years back I got bored of GTA4 after playing it for maybe ten hours total, which is when I remember telling myself something like "I won't touch any other similar games again for a long time". What a misplaced thought it was, and I should have known better when in reality the franchise comes from one of my favorite developers ever, namely Volition. I love those guys, especially their willingness to communicate with and help the community (I know they've helped with modding for The Third since I recently checked on saintsrowmods.com and noticed that they drop by there sometimes to give advices and help), heck they have a tour of their working place on their web site (it might seem nothing special to some, but for me that sort of transparency from a company is always appreciated).

Oh, two more things (at least) I want to praise about for both The Third and SRIV, the voice acting and overall animations quality. The voice acting is top-notch for the most part and is cheesy when it needs to be (I like to call it "cheesy well done", rather than cheesy because the voice actors wouldn't good). I especially loved that series of missions in The Third where you become the main actor for a movie, at that point the voice actor has to pretend that his character plays in a movie and throws all sorts of cheesy emotionless by-the-letter script-driven lines (really has the feeling that the voice actor pretends that his character tries way too hard) and later starts to improvise on the set during filming of the scene. But really overall the VA quality is just top. Additionally, the animations. I haven't seen such good quality animations often, that sort of animation quality reminds me of Kingdoms of Amalur's (if any of you never saw that game's animations in action you should check it out on YouTube or something). Not only are the animations good, there's plenty of them for the main character as well as pedestrians for various reactions they'd have depending on specific situations. There's also a generous list of taunts and compliments all of which were very well animated, not to mention that some of them are lengthy animations without pause (especially the dance ones).

I know so far, however, what really makes me like them (both The Third and SRIV) is probably the simple fact that you get to create your own character. I do clearly remember thinking something along the lines way back when I used to play GTA3 every single day for a good month+ on my PS2. I remember thinking how cool it'd be to have the possibility to create my own character in such an open world environment in instead of being forced to play this or that character. I'm glad that Rockstar thought something similar and went in the right direction (in my opinion) with GTA5's three characters instead of only one (you don't create any on your own but at least you can play the game from three different "perspectives" so to speak).

Anyway, I saw this thread just now and it's a good coincidence for me since I'm basically just starting to discover the franchise when I should have clearly experienced it years ago by now. Very fun games and... oh, Saints Row IV is heavily inspired by and clearly mimics The Matrix with a dose of Mass Effect, how awesome is that? There's also a certain Bioshock feel to it due to the powers, I mean really, it's a clear nod to some of the best in the entertainment industry. There's nothing not to like with such a combination. Also, the Abduction gun in SRIV is amazing, it creates some hilarious moments especially when a car drives through the abduction light and the driver literally gets sucked in the light through the windshield only to see the driver-less car falling back seconds later. The Dubstep gun is also very fun and original. One last thing though, when I switch back to play my game in The Third I have that reflex of trying to super jump and glide again, SRIV spoiled me!

Last edited:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
oh, Saints Row IV is heavily inspired by and clearly mimics The Matrix with a dose of Mass Effect, how awesome is that? There's nothing not to like with such a combination. One last thing though, when I switch back to play my game in The Third I have that reflex of trying to super jump and glide again, SRIV spoiled me!

I thought it mimicked Assassin's Creed - "The Simulation" vs "The Animus", and according to one of my son's the jumping, gliding and wall-sprinting was done in Prototype. I think there's a little of many games in SRIV, and that's fine by me.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I play with a friend, and recently went through SR3 with him (I'd beaten it previously) and we're 70% through SR4. It's a blast. Definitely way, way more fun with friends (like Borderlands and a lot of other newer games.)