so my sister just spilled a glass of water on my new laptop...

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
...what do I have to look forward to? :(

I wiped it dry with a towel, turned it off and popped the battery...it was working when I shut it off but who knows what'll happen when I attempt to turn it on next. The kicker was she got pissed off at me because I was angry she spilled a glass of water onto my new laptop. Good stuff.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Let it sit for a day or so, and turn it in different positions every few hours. When it dries it should be OK.

chrisrod01

Banned
Apr 16, 2005
PWN HER If it was new send it back and say it just stop working or something they might not notice (Anyone?)

Gilligansdingy

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2005
My daughter spilled kool-aid into my new laptop. Turned it off, took it apart and cleaned everything and dry'd with an air house. Tried it out after putting back together and it Works perfect.

S

SlitheryDee

It should be ok if you let it dry completely. Just don't use it for a couple of days. Make sure it's totally dry though. Water tends to evaporate reeeeeeeely slowly when it's in a confined and relatively unventilated space.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: chrisrod01
PWN HER If it was new send it back and say it just stop working or something they might not notice (Anyone?)
Sigh. There's always someone in these threads advocating warranty fraud.

A warranty covers product defects. Accidental stupidity damage coverage is sometimes available, but costs extra.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: wasssup
The kicker was she got pissed off at me because I was angry she spilled a glass of water onto my new laptop. Good stuff.

ALL women do this. Tears are used as a weapon ;)

Blow it down best you are able with canned air, set it up in front of a box fan for 24 hours of drying time...In a warn room.
Change it's position often during the 24 hours.

chrisrod01

Banned
Apr 16, 2005
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

A warranty covers product defects. Accidental stupidity damage coverage is sometimes available, but costs extra.

Yea I know its' not under normal warranty ,but under the special "damage Coverage" but you never know if it could work .

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Heres are a couple of things to try. Give it at minimum 36 hours before you attempt to do anything to it. The keyboards most of the time are tray like and should catch most of the watter. If it is sticking keys you can take it off and soak it in a clean ceramic container thats been rinsed with isopropyle alcohol. Let it soak in distilled water with a little bit of the iso alcohol and see if it works again after that drys.

Its not really water that kills it, its the let over mineral deposits that cause the short.

Biggerhammer

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2003
I'm thinking wait the few days then have your favorite sister pay for repairs to get it back to new? Not going to be fun, but in this real world thing, you break it you buy it is a rule.

SamurAchzar

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2006
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Let it sit for a day or so, and turn it in different positions every few hours. When it dries it should be OK.

Yep, that's exactly what I'd do to my sister in case she did such a thing.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

Yea I know its' not under normal warranty ,but under the special "damage Coverage" but you never know if it could work .

I don't think whether or not it could work is the point. ;)

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: SamurAchzar
Originally posted by: Fritzo

Yep, that's exactly what I'd do to my sister in case she did such a thing.

:Q