So, if you HAD to choose.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

evoic

May 8, 2007
Well, the proof is in the pudding.
Mine has arrived at the local processing center and will arrive today (possibly) or tomorrow (at the latest).

That means this weekend will be used to provide details on whether or not we have a winner or a dud.

I'm not too proud to say I was wrong, so if the chip turns out to be less than steller - you'll hear about it.

evoic

May 8, 2007
Initial results looks good.....but this thing likes voltage.
I have a lapped Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro on it at the moment, that doesn't exactly keep it chilly.
I'm lapping a Scythe Mine Rev. B as soon as I finish typing this, and I have a TR Ultra 120 Extreme arriving sometime between now and Monday that will be the final cooler.
At 1.4875v, I'm cruising along at 3600Mhz.
For the first time, with any C2D I've had my grubby paws on, I booted into Windows at 3850Mhz.....but it wasn't stable.

I need to bump the voltage to even it out, but I don't want to do anything while using the AC Freezer Pro as it is the least performing of the 3 options.

Once I have better cooling, I'll do a suicide run to see max boot speed and then I'll start testing for stability.

-Stay Tuned-

btdvox

Jun 8, 2005
I really dont get waht you mean by it may be a Dud? You mean it might not work or it might not be a good chip? Or it might not be a G0 stepping, Cause if its a "Dud and doesnt work, you can exchange it.....

evoic

May 8, 2007
Originally posted by: btdvox
I really dont get waht you mean by it may be a Dud? You mean it might not work or it might not be a good chip? Or it might not be a G0 stepping, Cause if its a "Dud and doesnt work, you can exchange it.....

I simply meant a "dud" in terms of performance vs. the rest of the results that people end up getting.

The 50% that score above the normal overclock potential chips would equal a quality version....
The 50% that score below the normal overclock potential chips would equal a "dud" version....

Hypothetically speaking:

100 E6850's sold.

50 of them clock at decent temps running at 3.6Ghz on a slight voltage bump.
50 of them clock at somewhat higher temps and 3.6Ghz is the max.

.....That sorta' thing. That's all.

btdvox

Jun 8, 2005
I see what your saying but thats the case with any CPU- you cant predict youll get a good or bad chip.