So, if you HAD to choose.....

evoic

Senior member
May 8, 2007
230
0
0
I'm looking to buy immediately.

If you were me and the choices were:

1. An E6600 that has hit 3740Mhz on air for $165 shipped

2. Retail Russian Roulette for an E6750 (sub $200) or an E6850 (sub $275) that could be a dud or could be a beast.

Those are your choices.
Which would YOU decide.

.....For the record, I'm 99.9% sold on the E6600.
I'm just checking with the experts as a safety valve before I pull the trigger.

Any information of value would be greatly appreciated.
 

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
5,664
0
0
You've got a e6420 at 3.5 lol :p I wouldn't buy either ;)

But erm, how long has the e6600 been running at 3.7ghz? That's something to take into consideration. As for the e6750 or e6850, not many if any people can say something usefull about it. We don't know how well they OC, or if they are like the e4x00's who 'should' be hitting 3ghz all the time, yet don't. If someone could say, the e6750 will hit 3.4ghz on stock voltage, the choice would be easy :p
 

LightningRider

Senior member
Feb 16, 2007
558
0
0
Seriously you won't even notice a difference if you get the E6600 and why buy something that might turn out to be a downgrade?

You have a fast processor dude, if you really want to upgrade, wait for Penryn. But you can afford to wait till Nehalem probably with that OC.
 

BoboKatt

Senior member
Nov 18, 2004
529
0
0
Heck I had a similar decision to make on Sunday and could not decide so I bought a q6600 and an e6850 online and baby Jesus himself will decide which CPU rules them all on my system. Funny thing is I am replacing an e6600 that never quite made it over 3200mhz without a massive amount of V. Talk about shaking your head? I know I know? not too bright on my side.

Anyhow at the end of the day it's what makes you happy. Personally I would go for the e6850 just for the fact that it would provide maximum anticipation :) and it's something I don't have yet and can't wait to play with. It's not about being logical at times, it's about having fun and exploring and answering those unanswered questions that are going to nag you if you don?t try all options ? well as long as you can afford it.

Really you can't go wrong either way. If the e6600 can really do 3.7 on air... that's a monster. The newer e6850 is stock at 3 Ghz. I cannot imagine it AT LEAST not reaching say 3.5ish... so again you can't go wrong no matter what you decide.
 

mrfatboy

Senior member
Sep 3, 2006
841
0
76
Originally posted by: evoic
I'm looking to buy immediately.

If you were me and the choices were:

1. An E6600 that has hit 3740Mhz on air for $165 shipped

2. Retail Russian Roulette for an E6750 (sub $200) or an E6850 (sub $275) that could be a dud or could be a beast.

Those are your choices.
Which would YOU decide.

.....For the record, I'm 99.9% sold on the E6600.
I'm just checking with the experts as a safety valve before I pull the trigger.

Any information of value would be greatly appreciated.


where are you getting that e6600 for $165 shipped?
 

A554SS1N

Senior member
May 17, 2005
804
0
0
I wouldn't get either - neither of them is guaranteed to give you a better overclock. It also depends on how the CPU's work in your particular case, with your motherboard, as you could end up getting something that doesn't clock any better, or even worse.
 

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
3,896
2,112
136
All your doing is buying a 5-6% increase over what you have. Sell your vid card and add the $165 to it for an 8800gts or something.
 

evoic

Senior member
May 8, 2007
230
0
0
To answer the first question at the top of the post -
My E6420 at 3500Mhz is the max I've been able to get it Orthos stable.
The ceiling for me is not much higher than this at around 3580Mhz.

I run it 24/7 at 3333Mhz on 1.4v, so if I found something that ran at 3.6Mhz or higher on a daily basis, I may be interested in that for no other reason than it's a higher clock.


Originally posted by: amenx
All your doing is buying a 5-6% increase over what you have. Sell your vid card and add the $165 to it for an 8800gts or something.

I don't game, I just enjoy having the extra horsepower in the machine, so the 8800 is near-overkill.


Originally posted by: dandragonrage
I would step away from the computer and go meet some people.

A wife, a kid, 2 cars, a mortgage, a career, and doing just fine in the "people" dept. when it comes to friends.

Tearing down and building up computers is a simple form of meditation for me.
Some people enjoy yoga - I enjoy cable management and proper TIM application.

Your post is rude and uninformed, stranger.
 

nullpointerus

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2003
1,326
0
0
Yes...

Who are you selling your old chip to? :D


Seriously, you should definitely go with the E6600. Just make sure the seller understands what "stable" means when applied to overclocking. Some people will just declare a chip stable if they can run Prime95 for an hour. Let us know how it turns out!
 

Tboy012

Member
Jun 18, 2007
118
0
0
if you can manage to wait it out for 1-2 more weeks maybe the e6750 will drop down to 183... which would be a better buy
 

evoic

Senior member
May 8, 2007
230
0
0
Originally posted by: Tboy012
if you can manage to wait it out for 1-2 more weeks maybe the e6750 will drop down to 183... which would be a better buy

E6750 Multi is 8x
E6600 Multi is 9x

This is important for my current set-up.
 

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
3,655
0
71





dont buy either you should really keep what you have ...dont understand why you would need more "horsepower"?
 

evoic

Senior member
May 8, 2007
230
0
0
Originally posted by: swtethan
so wait... why did you buy it? 200mhz more?

Because it's about an even swap for the price I can sell my E6420 at.

Originally posted by: btdvox
Why would the e6850 be a dud?

Not that it WOULD be a dud....
It's that it COULD be a dud....

You never know.
I chose to pay a much lower price for a proven performer with basically nothing out of pocket after I sell the CPU I'm using at the moment.
 

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
5,630
2
81
I wouldn't think either of those will even make you feel any different when running your apps. Maybe only some (little) difference when benchmarking. I think you should save this cash and get a Q6600 for like 280ish. that's a upgrade.
 

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
20,841
3,189
126
Originally posted by: dandragonrage
I would step away from the computer and go meet some people.

wow... thats mean to say...

ummm... what about someone in my shoes who goes though quadcores at least once per month for the past 4 months. :T



3.7GHZ on AIR for a C2D chip, im calling shins on this unless the owner can show you a 8+ hour Orthos.


Dont buy into anyone's OC unless they can show you a 8+ hour Prime/Orthos.

From my testing on a C2D chip, most can hold that OC, if they go up that high, for about 2 hours TOPS. Then one of the cores start to crap out.


It took water to get my E6600 L631B stepping BTW, @ 3.6ghz for 8 hours Orthos. If he truely did pull off 3.7ghz on AIR, for such a long time, the life of the chip has to be seriously cut in half.
 

evoic

Senior member
May 8, 2007
230
0
0
Originally posted by: aigomorla

3.7GHZ on AIR for a C2D chip, im calling shins on this unless the owner can show you a 8+ hour Orthos.


Dont buy into anyone's OC unless they can show you a 8+ hour Prime/Orthos.

From my testing on a C2D chip, most can hold that OC, if they go up that high, for about 2 hours TOPS. Then one of the cores start to crap out.


It took water to get my E6600 L631B stepping BTW, @ 3.6ghz for 8 hours Orthos. If he truely did pull off 3.7ghz on AIR, for such a long time, the life of the chip has to be seriously cut in half.

How's this....
http://static.flickr.com/81/228523823_c8b3a6e16d_o.jpg

In addition to that, you just said that it can't be done, but if it CAN be done, the life of the CPU has to be cut in half......kind of a "can't win" post. :)

Modern CPU's last for years - if this only lasts for 6 years instead of 10, then that will be about 4 years after I've moved on from it......

***Edit - Dammit, I can't find the Orthos screenshot. Oh well, whatever - the chip is on Hardforum's overclock database at 3703Ghz - Prime / Orthos stable.

I won't mention the seller, but it's pretty easy to figure out who's chip it is by the info I've given.
 

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
13,209
594
126
Originally posted by: aigomorla
3.7GHZ on AIR for a C2D chip, im calling shins on this unless the owner can show you a 8+ hour Orthos.
I don't think 3.70GHz with a C2D is a mission impossible. You need some luck for sure, but I've seen many including mines.