So I owe teh IRS some money....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
I got $30 back from the feds and have to pay $53 to Michigan. I feel your pain. :(

Heaven forbid! That's an entire video game! Or half a video card. Oh noeesss!

Originally posted by: Orsorum
Originally posted by: jumpr
I got $30 back from the feds and have to pay $53 to Michigan. I feel your pain. :(

Heaven forbid! That's an entire video game! Or half a video card. Oh noeesss!
Well considering how much money I made in 2003, it's painful. ;)

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
i paid over 20k this year in federal taxes (not including social sec. and medicare :|:|:|), quit yer bitchen.

I'm double that, and I am getting $ back :( i hate giving teh man an interest free loan :|;

Turkey22

Nov 28, 2001
I thought I was gonna owe $500 but ended up getting money back after doing my taxes through H&R block. However their fees ate what I was getting back and more so I still am ending up paying out. Probably the last time I go through them. (Probably cus I'm not sure if I can find a better place, I know I wont be abel to find all the deductions myself. I'm going through the stuff they prepared with a fine toothed comb so I can try next year.)

Btw can anyone tell me why their fees would changed based on what we owed? (It changed twice cus of mistakes they made/fixed) Went from 175 to 200 back down to 150.

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
I beat you all, last year I had to pay $700 because I made $20 too much :( If I had made $21 less, I would have owed $0

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: TheHeartless
*sob* i don't even know if i owe money or anything...havent even started my taxes because one of my old bosses hasn't even mailed out my w-2s yet...
Have you called the boss on your missing W2.

They are by law suppoed to mail them by the end of Jan.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
i'm getting a $600 refund, but i just got a revised W-2 today which, with my luck, will probably mean i now owe $600 more.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: datalink7
Originally posted by: Ameesh
i paid over 20k this year in federal taxes (not including social sec. and medicare :|:|:|), quit yer bitchen.

Yes, but how much did you make?

I would LOVE to be able to pay 20k in taxes, cause that would mean I'd be making some money! :)

true

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: TheHeartless
*sob* i don't even know if i owe money or anything...havent even started my taxes because one of my old bosses hasn't even mailed out my w-2s yet...

Unless I am mistaken that's not legal. They are supposed to have your W2s ready by a certain time which is Feb. 1.

palad

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Turkey22
I thought I was gonna owe $500 but ended up getting money back after doing my taxes through H&R block. However their fees ate what I was getting back and more so I still am ending up paying out. Probably the last time I go through them. (Probably cus I'm not sure if I can find a better place, I know I wont be abel to find all the deductions myself. I'm going through the stuff they prepared with a fine toothed comb so I can try next year.)

Btw can anyone tell me why their fees would changed based on what we owed? (It changed twice cus of mistakes they made/fixed) Went from 175 to 200 back down to 150.

In my experience, H&R Block charges per form. For each additional tax form (and worksheet, I think) that they fill out, they add an extra fee. So if their mistakes involved needing/not needing to fill out additional forms, it could very easily affect the total bill.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I claimed Married and 9 dependants last year. Needless to say, I owe a little.

KK

Originally posted by: KK
I claimed Married and 9 dependants last year. Needless to say, I owe a little.

KK
So you're not really a polygamous Mormon from Salt Lake City?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I paid in the vicinity of $132k, and that was after my CPA found a heck of a lot of tax cuts, tax holes, and tax evasion schemes for me to sink my teeth into.

edmicman

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
don't pay it....like they'll actually chase you down and make you go to jail for 350 bones? there's bigger fish to fry...screw 'em!

dquan97

Lifer
Jul 9, 2002
Originally posted by: edmicman
don't pay it....like they'll actually chase you down and make you go to jail for 350 bones? there's bigger fish to fry...screw 'em!

probably not jail for $350...first, get a bill (tax assessment), then possible lien/garnishment