Rant So I just came back from the computer store, and I don't think I'm gonna go back...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I carry a backpack into stores all the time and never have issues. Sometimes it pays to look like a concentration camp guard who might be selling Amway on the side; people just avoid the crap out of me.

fralexandr

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2007
www.flickr.com

Hmm, I'd trust anandtech over a retail employee, but the OP clearly had things he could have asked them...

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Used to be commonplace for large shops (bookshops most of all, for some reason), to ask you to leave bags or backpacks at the desk. And if you didn't they'd sometimes ask to go through your bag when you left. Really kind of irritating.

Got to the point where I'd voluntarily offer to do so before they asked. Then on one occasion, at a large book store, found the desk staff reacting with alarm at my offer, apparently - as they explicitly said - because there had been an IRA bombing campaign in the area recently and they were scared I might have a bomb in the bag! I think their reasoning was if so they'd rather I left it somewhere other than the desk, and only blew up customers rather than them.