So, erm, hi!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you remember me?

• Yeah, of course I remember you!

• Erm, the name rings a bell, but I'm not sure

• Who are you again?

• I'm a n00b, I've never seen you here before!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Of course I remember you Garry! Long time!!! Great to "see" you here again!

About cars...

You British Sods!!!

I'm holding my end up here, I drive a 1978 MG Midget daily.
It's got a Datsun / Nissan 210 A15 motor with a pair of British HS4 carbs on a GX head.
Behind it is a 5 speed Dogleg transmission.
I've got Mazda Miata seats in there and the drivers side is fitted with heaters and massage motors.

I've converted it to chrome bumpers and lowered it via 1968 Sprite springs.

Come on, get with the program guys!!

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Welcome back confused! :)

Nice wheels guys! Unfortunately I drive a very boring Prius. :( The last fun car I had was an 86 Mustang GT with T-top.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Some of you *may* remember (or not!) that I've also got a 1967 Ford Anglia, which I've had since 2003!

Well, now that I've split up with my partner, and I'm enjoying single life again, I've had plenty of time to get to my dad's (now 190 miles away!) on a regular basis to work on it :)

My current plans are to drop in the following engine which I had just hanging around:

(The same engine as is in my "family wagon" above - a 2.5 litre, twin turbo V6!)

Old English car, modern Japanese engine :D

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Oh yes, now that will be fun.
How heavy is that behemoth?
What is it from and what is it?

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
The car when it's done I'm hoping will be <1000kg, and the engine is a 6A13TT from a Mitsubishi Galant/Legnum VR-4, and is going to be about 280bhp (and RWD)

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Ah, my Midget weighs about 1500 Lbs but the motor only puts out about 100bhp.
3.7:1 rear gears and the 5 speed makes for pleasant freeway motoring.
The engine is full of pep as far as torque is concerned, but still nothing like the monster you plan to build.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Gary
You're stark raving mad mate to drop an engine like that into an old horse cart chassis lol ;), unless you plan to (or already have?) ditch the old cart springs?
Did I sell you some x-flow engine bits for that Anglia some years ago btw?

Sorry to hear you've split up with your partner btw.

Of course I remember you Garry! Long time!!! Great to "see" you here again!

About cars...

You British Sods!!!

I'm holding my end up here, I drive a 1978 MG Midget daily.
It's got a Datsun / Nissan 210 A15 motor with a pair of British HS4 carbs on a GX head.
Behind it is a 5 speed Dogleg transmission.
I've got Mazda Miata seats in there and the drivers side is fitted with heaters and massage motors.

I've converted it to chrome bumpers and lowered it via 1968 Sprite springs.

Come on, get with the program guys!!
Think I'll stick with my BMW 330d, 0-60 in ~7.6s & 40+ MPG suites me nicely :D ....... although I would quite like a Triumph GT6 ;)

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Mark, the GT6 is an under rated car over here.
While TR4's and TR6's bring the big bucks the Spits and the GT's lag.
I always wanted a GT6 when I was younger, maybe this is the time I should act!!

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
Hi Mark,

I have a feeling you did sell me some x-flow bits many moons ago, when that was my original plan for it! ;)

I will be looking at the rear end, I doubt the standard axle will take ~300bhp! ;) But unsure what to do with that yet, that'll be one of the last bits to do.

Currently looking at front suspension, as it happens, I may well be fitting Spitfire front suspension to it! ;)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I was tempted by a remap on my 330d, would of taken it to ~240 bhp & 370 lb/ft! :D, very tempting but I had repairs to contend with & I bought this car with economy in mind, modding it doesn't really fit with that ;)

Wiz
Maybe I could import a GT6 from the US for cheap money? ;)

Last edited:

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Of course I remember Confused even if he doesn't remember me. And yes, Andy, I'm still active, though it's under the name of Grand Rapids Radio Observatory in the Einstein@Home project. And I/we just crossed the 2 million mark this weekend. :p

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Another thread revival! Couldn't PM Gary, so I thought I'd see if he reacts to this thread! ;) Although he was 'last seen May 2014'..........

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Wow, I remember Confused, TAandy, and networkman. You too Assimilator1, of course!

I used to be active on the original SoB project. Got a friend to crunch for me (now a late friend :( ), on his E5200 (overclocked, of course.) My two rigs at the time were E2160, then Q9300. I still have them, not really that tempted to fire them up again, for some Unreal Tournament or crunching.

Anyways, after some long time (years), I finally cracked top-10 for the TeAm, IIRC. That was my goal all along, and my friend then bowed out of crunching for me. I eventually upgraded him to a Q8200.

Pretty sure that was with the original "classic" set-and-forget SoB client software. I had not yet discovered BOINC. (I later moved on to F@H and WCG, eventually, and then PrimeGrid.)

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Good that you're still about :).
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I only fully retired by Q9550 @3.6 GHz last month! (although it'd been rarely used the past few years or so).