So before the war everyone loved the United States?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
You can have a balanced annual budget and still carry debt.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Bill Clinton said Monday that the United States would pay off $216 billion in debt this year, bringing to $355 billion the amount of the nation's debt paid down in the three years since the government balanced the budget and began running surpluses.

was that enough to stop the debt fron growing beyond the previous years level, no, thanks to Reagan it is so large it grows very fast now, damn that interest.

In a written statement, Clinton said the $216 billion payment represented the largest debt paydown in American history, and he said that the federal government's long-term debt is now $2.4 trillion lower than projected to be when he first took office.

However, the U.S. government still has a long way to go before it pays down the entire national debt, which now stands at $5.7 trillion.

The balanced budget agreement act passed in 1993, the year before the GOP "revolution", all they get credit for is shutting down the Govt. and acting like children because Clinton was doing so well. For his sake I hope that was awfully good head.....

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Today, at the White House, President Clinton announced that the Office of Management and Budget and the Department of the Treasury have released figures showing the largest budget surplus and the largest pay-down of debt in history The President urged Congress to keep our nation on course by passing his budget plan that protects Social Security, pays down the debt, and meets the nation's priorities in the areas of education, health care, crime, and the environment.

Clinton-Gore Economic Plan Is Working. In 1993, President Clinton put in place a three-part economic strategy of fiscal discipline, investing in people, and opening markets abroad. Today's figures provide even more evidence that the Administration's strategy is working:

The Largest Surplus in History:

The $123 billion surplus in 1999 is the largest dollar surplus in history, even after adjusting for inflation;
The surplus, expected to be about 1.4% of GDP, is the largest surplus as a share of the economy since 1951;
1999 is the second year in a row of surplus, marking the first back-to-back surpluses since 1956-57;
This is the first time in U.S. history that we've experienced seven years in a row of fiscal improvement.

The Largest Debt Reduction in History:

Over the last two years, America has paid down $140 billion in public debt, the largest debt pay-down ever;
The debt held by the public is $1.7 trillion lower than was projected when President Clinton took office;
As a result, in 1999 alone, interest payments on the debt were $91 billion lower than projected.

what were you saying?

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
I take exception to the military issue as well, you just saw Clinton's military in action, he made the transistion from Bush to Bush, made the tough cuts but still made sure they advanced technically, they actually need less people now. Rummy could not have rebuilt a trashed force so quickly, so well, and integrated such new technology so quickly. Honestly though, the Pres. has little to do with that, they are always moving forward and are beyond the political scene.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Bill Clinton said Monday that the United States would pay off $216 billion in debt this year, bringing to $355 billion the amount of the nation's debt paid down in the three years since the government balanced the budget and began running surpluses.

was that enough to stop the debt fron growing beyond the previous years level, no, thanks to Reagan it is so large it grows very fast now, damn that interest.

In a written statement, Clinton said the $216 billion payment represented the largest debt paydown in American history, and he said that the federal government's long-term debt is now $2.4 trillion lower than projected to be when he first took office.

However, the U.S. government still has a long way to go before it pays down the entire national debt, which now stands at $5.7 trillion.

The balanced budget agreement act passed in 1993, the year before the GOP "revolution", all they get credit for is shutting down the Govt. and acting like children because Clinton was doing so well. For his sake I hope that was awfully good head.....

Saying and doing is two different things. We had a "surplus", but still managed to spend enough to make the debt rise.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
I take exception to the military issue as well, you just saw Clinton's military in action, he made the transistion from Bush to Bush, made the tough cuts but still made sure they advanced technically, they actually need less people now. Rummy could not have rebuilt a trashed force so quickly, so well, and integrated such new technology so quickly. Honestly though, the Pres. has little to do with that, they are always moving forward and are beyond the political scene.

About the only new thing that came around during clintons term was the Bob Hope class transports. These roll on roll off transport were needed. Most of the military tech was around before he took office. The base cuts were needed, but so are enough spare parts.

UltraQuiet

Banned
Sep 22, 2001
I take exception to the military issue as well, you just saw Clinton's military in action

You did not see Clinton's military in action. Clinton had nothing to do with the military you saw in Afghanistan or Iraq. Absolutely nothing.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Absolutely nothing.
-------------
How about absolutely positively nothing? Golly, go for it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Ultra Quiet
I take exception to the military issue as well, you just saw Clinton's military in action

You did not see Clinton's military in action. Clinton had nothing to do with the military you saw in Afghanistan or Iraq. Absolutely nothing.

then it wasn't bush's military either, or even the previous bushes, hell it was nobodys military.

oh wait, it was 0roo0roo's military.

eat it!

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: charrison

Saying and doing is two different things. We had a "surplus", but still managed to spend enough to make the debt rise.

Their is interst on the debt which causes it to grow, notice the rate of growth was slowed under Clinton as well. look at his first year, and then second, and so on....

the annual budget is not the same thing as our national debt.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
The world did not like us before the war, that is for certain. But what is also for certain is that many countries were very sympathetic towards us after 9/11. But, instead of taking advantage of that crisis by promoting ethnic and cultural awareness, we decided to whoop some ass just for the hell of it. So now, the world is really pissed at us.

Insane3D

Elite Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Absolutely nothing.
-------------
How about absolutely positively nothing? Golly, go for it.

Or even better..absolutely, postively, undeniably nothing. ;)

TheBoyBlunder

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2003
Originally posted by: IamDavid
Today I had a discussion with a liberal friend who kept telling me the whole world now hates us because of the war. We thumbed our nose at what the "world" wanted and we will now pay the price.. I see it around this forum all the time and on TV talk shows.. I just want to know when did the world ever give a damn about us? Germany hasn't agreed with us on much of anything since the wall fell, France has ALWAYS hated us, Russia is NOT our ally, and the rest of the world only acts like our friend to receive aid and other welfare from us..

I really think liberals and the like need a new argument..

Oh ye who is quick to forget your history. The French obviously liked us once upon a time...take a look the revolutionary war and the statue of liberty for starters.

//history nazi

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Stop giving money to the countries that hate us, burn our flags in protest and would not piss on us if we were on fire...

Then after a couple hundred people die in hunger and other maladies then they might sing another tune.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Stop giving money to the countries that hate us, burn our flags in protest and would not piss on us if we were on fire...

Then after a couple hundred people die in hunger and other maladies then they might sing another tune.
-------------------------------
Lifting another page from Jesus, I see.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
A question I have is why some Americans are so concerned about being loved that they would be willing to starve or hurt someone to get it?

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

You see where it got him don't you?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
A question I have is why some Americans are so concerned about being loved that they would be willing to starve or hurt someone to get it?

I wish I'd thought of that..
Good point... That's the result, at the end of the day.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Nitemare

You see where it got him don't you?

Well... he didn't benefit I did and so I don't see the analogy... but, do get the idea:)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Nitemare
What? Immortality?

crucified is more like it.

Yes, he was. For bringing a message of peace in a time when people wanted war. Well, they are all dead now. Christ is remembered for that. All the others are dead too. No one remembers them.

Everyone dies. You will too. When you do, people will not remember you for how you died, but how you lived. There are many worse things than dying after living a worthwhile life, no matter how death came. There are not many things worse than living a long and ignoble one.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: HJD1
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider

I wish I'd thought of that..
Good point... That's the result, at the end of the day.

Sadly you are right on, in many cases. I don't think it is wrong to ask for certain things in return for aid, it just depends on what you are asking for. But then it ceases to become aid and becomes a negotiation. Aid is giving for the sake of giving, not giving for respect and admiration.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: charrison

Their is interst on the debt which causes it to grow, notice the rate of growth was slowed under Clinton as well. look at his first year, and then second, and so on....

the annual budget is not the same thing as our national debt.

SO the author anderson school of accounting allows us not count interest charges as a required payable item.

Yes, the debt is the sum of cumulitive defecits. Every budget includes the cost of financing the budget. The cost of financing debt is paying the principle and interest(or at the very least the interest).