Sneak Peak at Gulftown.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Claudius-07

Dec 4, 2009
Since I am totally dyslexic when it comes to reading benchmarks... for someone who does a LOT of encoding (but nothing to do with rendering or using Photoshop etc.), how much of an upgrade is this over an Intel 9550? It took me a long time to upgrade from my AMD X2-4800 to this machine and have not even paid attention to the i3/i5/i7. Pretty much skipped the whole release.

I never have less than 10 things going at once, in fact I have 2 computers going 100% most of the time. I end up using my netbook to check email and surf not wanting to disturb the 2 comps from doing their job. I really really want ONE day to have ONE comp that can do the same work and I can still use to do the daily crap chores etc. Will this be it? I hope so.

Hey Zeus

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Since I am totally dyslexic when it comes to reading benchmarks... for someone who does a LOT of encoding (but nothing to do with rendering or using Photoshop etc.), how much of an upgrade is this over an Intel 9550? It took me a long time to upgrade from my AMD X2-4800 to this machine and have not even paid attention to the i3/i5/i7. Pretty much skipped the whole release.

I never have less than 10 things going at once, in fact I have 2 computers going 100% most of the time. I end up using my netbook to check email and surf not wanting to disturb the 2 comps from doing their job. I really really want ONE day to have ONE comp that can do the same work and I can still use to do the daily crap chores etc. Will this be it? I hope so.

Chip is going to be a monster in Encoding. Problem is it's monster price tag of a thousand dollars

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
why is Intel focusing on six core and dual core cpus with 32nm yet no desktop quads? we dont really need a six core cpu with HT and a dual core isnt enough for many games now. bring on some 32nm desktop quads please.

oh is there any more info on the Xeon 32nm quads and will they be able to work in regular desktop motherboards???

ETA March. I have one pre-ordered through Tankguys (assuming it launches on time). The 32nm Xeon (1366) quads will be sweet; 32nm goodness with 12MB cache. :)

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
ETA March. I have one pre-ordered through Tankguys (assuming it launches on time). The 32nm Xeon (1366) quads will be sweet; 32nm goodness with 12MB cache. :)
and they will work just fine in a regular desktop X58 mobo?

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
and they will work just fine in a regular desktop X58 mobo?

From what I have heard, yes. I believe Aigo has 1 (or more) and has had it running on his Asus or GB X58 board. These 2-QP link Xeons should work in most X58 boards (with or without a BIOS update; not sure here).

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
From what I have heard, yes. I believe Aigo has 1 (or more) and has had it running on his Asus or GB X58 board. These 2-QP link Xeons should work in most X58 boards (with or without a BIOS update; not sure here).
okay good to know. thats probably going to be the route I take so I guess I will sit tight until March and see what happens.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
okay good to know. thats probably going to be the route I take so I guess I will sit tight until March and see what happens.

It looks really great. It reminds me of the Penryn refreshes of the dualies a while back. Smaller node with more cache = win!

I really don't need the extra cores (although they would be fun) but these should OC like nothing else.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
why is Intel focusing on six core and dual core cpus with 32nm yet no desktop quads? we dont really need a six core cpu with HT and a dual core isnt enough for many games now. bring on some 32nm desktop quads please.

oh is there any more info on the Xeon 32nm quads and will they be able to work in regular desktop motherboards???

They have some 32nm quads with a whopping 12mb l3$ on the way. I don't think they have made it public yet, but there are plenty of ES of them floating around

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
That is wicked sick. 12 cores. WOW

well say 6 cores,, but 12 threads,, a thread is a core. soo 12 , nice task man shot. WOW your lucky,, so is this puppy yours wow ,, When is this coming out crazy

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

ask and ye shall recieve...
Q3QT32nmquadcore.jpg

And yes, they work in standard X58's.

However i was given a choice between quad or hex.

And well, greed dictates hex > quad..

Anyhow id like to appologize.. i havent had the time to install the 980 yet.
My study is undergoing remodeling and they started a day earily...

Just taking the wiring down was hell, this should tell you why..

You think i have enough UPS's? I think i might need 1 more.. ():)
IMG_1637.jpg

This is just my study. D:

My floor got darker..

Anyhow ETA probably Thursday or Friday b4 i get the retail sample 980 installed.

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Personal/Q3QT32nmquadcore.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p73/aigomorla/Personal/IMG_1637.jpg

My floor got darker..

Anyhow ETA probably Thursday or Friday b4 i get the retail sample 980 installed.
wow thanks.

SHAQ

Aug 5, 2002
Are they releasing the A0 version of Gulftown or are they going to respin it? A0's don't get released often.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I would get more BOINC credits with one of those CPU's in a week than my entire fleet gets in a year. Excuse me while I go cry in the corner.

Hey Zeus

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Q3QT32nmquadcore.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

My floor got darker..

Can i come over and play with that 32nm quad? :)

ghost recon88

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2005
Wait, your retail 980x is a B0? That can't be right, they already have B1 stepping out and it's still 6 months until launch.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
A couple of questions:

1) Are the leaked 32nm quads 'native' quads, or two core disabled??
2) Where does 10GbE rumor come from?

drizek

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2005

Because they spent a lot of money building 45nm factories and they don't want them sitting idle. Same reason why they didn't move atom to 32nm and why Arrandale wont be getting 32nm GPU until sandy bridge.

I don't know if this is technically what they are doing, but it seems like they are taking out the production of mainstream 45nm dual cores and using that capacity to produce IGPs, Atoms and Quads. I think Intel will produce as much 45nm silicon in 2010 as it did in 2009.