Smart Home & Home Automation discussion thread

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I keep going back and forth on the SmartThings hub. Somehow the lack of local control seems like a big deal, but maybe it isn't. Does this mean that when the ST cloud servers are offline, none of your monitoring / automation works?

It seems that there are quite a few open source HA projects out there. OpenHab is the big one of course, but some others like HomeGenie and Domoticz look really nice as well. The downside is that a basic setup will only support Z-Wave. I'm sure some other hardware can be added for more protocols however.

Haven't seen any downtime so far but I'm sure it can happen. Even if you get a device that does local control, you still have the odds of power outage, system failure, lost connectivity and everything going against plus little redundancy.

I personally have Homeseer running on a VM and after a few days it was just easier to setup the ST hub and be done with it. Down the road I may put more effort into a local solution, but it will require a time investment.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
It looks like the SmartThings community is going through a bit of a meltdown right now. I think I will sit back and see where this goes before I pull the trigger. I actually had the hub in my cart last night when I saw that the developer has pulled some of the apps.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Right now, I'm considering the VeraPlus since it's a pretty cheap alternative. The upside is the actual devices comply with either ZigBee or Z-Wave so it's not like you have to replace all the expensive pieces, just reconfigure.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
Right now, I'm considering the VeraPlus since it's a pretty cheap alternative. The upside is the actual devices comply with either ZigBee or Z-Wave so it's not like you have to replace all the expensive pieces, just reconfigure.

Is the VeraPlus actually available yet? I have that one on my list as well, but I haven't seen much as far as real world experience goes.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I'm happy with ST, but I may give VeraPlus a spin after it has been out for a few weeks. As far as ST goes though, the company is under immense pressure to resolve these issues and they're starting to roll out enhancements and new infrastructure to remedy the issues. They really don't have a choice given Samsung's intention to include ST in TVs.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I keep going back and forth on the SmartThings hub. Somehow the lack of local control seems like a big deal, but maybe it isn't. Does this mean that when the ST cloud servers are offline, none of your monitoring / automation works?

It seems that there are quite a few open source HA projects out there. OpenHab is the big one of course, but some others like HomeGenie and Domoticz look really nice as well. The downside is that a basic setup will only support Z-Wave. I'm sure some other hardware can be added for more protocols however.

It's frustrating because I feel like we're always on the tip of the iceberg with DIY HA stuff. Life would be so much easier if everyone simple made a secure API to access all available functions from. Release a little Raspberry Pi server with simple Drupal-style plugins for each device, then setup IFTTT-style links between triggers & functionality. Wink & Wink@Home is about as good as it gets for commercial support with enhanced end-user functionality. We're SO CLOSE, ARGH! :D

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
It's frustrating because I feel like we're always on the tip of the iceberg with DIY HA stuff. Life would be so much easier if everyone simple made a secure API to access all available functions from. Release a little Raspberry Pi server with simple Drupal-style plugins for each device, then setup IFTTT-style links between triggers & functionality. Wink & Wink@Home is about as good as it gets for commercial support with enhanced end-user functionality. We're SO CLOSE, ARGH! :D

While expensive, isn't Homeseer somewhat that? Can run it on any Windows PC and just need a Z-wave interface.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
While expensive, isn't Homeseer somewhat that? Can run it on any Windows PC and just need a Z-wave interface.

I've been looking pretty hard at Homeseer. It does look like about the best software solution I have seen to this point. I guess they tend to have big sales in May, so I might see what the price looks like in a month or so.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Well, ST is a huge mess right now and it's rather frustrating. All of my devices are not talking to the hub which renders all automation useless. It's time for me to start looking into alternatives as I don't want to be a perpetual beta tester for a cloud solution. I need something that I can break/fix on my own.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I plan on ordering a VeraPlus and a few sensors this week. I like the idea of not needing any type of cloud connection. I almost feel like the cheaper VeraEdge would work just fine for me, but for $50 it seems like getting the extra protocols is better future proofing. Once I get everything up and running I will try to give my opinion.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
New Nest Outdoor cam, $199 pre-order: (due out this fall)

https://nest.com/camera/meet-nest-cam-outdoor/

I lol'd when I saw their outdoor "security" setup...you could just walk up & snip the line right off, what a joke!

MDbm1Do.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I am in the market for an outdoor security camera to watch my grill & smoker when I'm inside the house. Nest has that outdoor unit above, but Canary (they make the AIO security system) has a really neat offering coming up for the same price:

https://canary.is/flex/

Only real catch I see is that it goes down to 14F & it gets colder than that here sometimes (I grill even when it's snowing, haha). The Nest goes down to -4F, 18 degrees colder than the Canary Flex. Maybe I could mount it on the sliding glass door or something. Hmm. The other easy alternative is getting a Ring Pro ($25 more) & just having it act as an outdoor IR HD webcam:

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-88LP000CH000-Video-Doorbell-Pro/dp/B01DM6BDA4

Although I like the Flex due to the positioning capabilities, plus it doesn't have to be used just for outside 24/7 since you can have multiple mounts. The battery is only used when the motion detector is tripped (or you access it via your phone to look at or whatever); they say it's good for months of wire-free operation. Sounds pretty awesome!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Picked up a pair of Nucleus Intercoms:

https://nucleuslife.com/

They dropped the price to $149 temporarily, which is a pretty nice deal. This is basically the Roku of video chat. I sent one to my grandma to do easy video chat with her since we live far apart. Initial thoughts:

1. It's pretty much like a thick iPad Mini.
2. Both of my units have a greenish tint to the picture, not sure if it's color-adjustable.
3. Lens is kind of a fisheye, but if your face is in view, it's normal.
4. Video quality is kinda meh, like 720p Youtube that's having trouble streaming.
5. Not a fan of the speakers, sound like crappy laptop speakers. Not very loud either (again, for grandma usage).
6. Wish it had a battery, but that's the tradeoff for being pretty lightweight.
7. Comes with a wall-mount system & a kickstand. Kickstand is non-adjustable, so you can't tweak the angle. Both are made out of raw metal - gets the job done but seems like a little plastic kickstand with an angle adjustment would have been nicer.
8. They added Amazon Alexa support, although I've read the mics don't do anywhere near as good of a job as the Echo/Dot/Taps do (some people were saying they had to yell to get Alexa to recognize their voice commands).
9. Has auto-answer available, for convenience
10. Has a physical sliding lens cover, for privacy
11. They do have a smartphone app, if other family members want to call in from non-Nucleus devices

I bought it specifically to use to video-call an elderly person, so for $300 for the pair, I'm pretty happy with it overall because I got two for less than the price of one iPad Mini, which is great, and the interface is super easy to use for the aging population. Pairing additional units is as simple as entering in a code & then confirming an email. You can do your house plus remote callers (although I just set both of mine up as in-house for convenience, so she wouldn't have to press the Remote tab) & do either voice or voice & video calls.

I've had my eye on these for awhile as a smarthome feature. Problem is twofold, however: one, I don't have a big enough place to really warrant them, and two, everyone has their own cell phone. It might be cool if these tied into like the Ring doorbell & some outdoor security cameras, because then it'd be uber-convenient to have a 100% integrated video system for calling & survelliance, but the mic/camera/speakers are just kind of mediocre compared to what's readily available these days, so meh. I do like it for my intended purpose (easily calling grandma via video) & while it was pricey, again I was happy that two units was cheaper than one iPad, which would have been too much of a technology barrier for my grandma to use at this point in her life.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Amazon Echo Show:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/09/amazons-echo-show-is-alexa-with-a-touchscreen/

Features:

* 7" touchscreen
* Same tech as other Echos (8 mics, beam-forming tech, noise cancellation) to hear you anywhere in the room
* Front camera
* Dolby-equipped speaker
* Alexa Calling feature lets you make voice or video calls to friends who have an Echo or Alexa app on another device (you can call people just by asking Alexa)
* Send text messages to other Alexa devices (your own or friends) - it chimes & a green light shows up, and also notifies you via the Alexa app
* "Drop in" feature that lets you instant connect with family & friends - drop in to let your family know it's time for dinner, see the baby's nursery, check in with a close relative
* Screen lets you do various functions, including watch Youtube, video flash briefings, visual weather, music lyrics, shopping lists, etc.
* Connects to Ring & Arlo cameras - just ask Alex to show you the room or area
* Control thermostats & lights with WeMo, Philips Hue, Ecobee, etc.
* $230 each or two for $360 ($100 discount)

Sounds like a nice Nucleus Intercom competitor. Although one of the biggest features is easy access to security & baby cameras...that's really cool, just being able to talk to the device & have it pop up a live streaming picture.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
oh great, will it record several seconds of video before every command just like it does the voice feature? No Thanks!
and it has access to all our other potential voice and video recording devices....

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
I don't see the value in the echo show over a tablet with a stand. The tablet is portable, can do more things, and already exists in many people's homes.

Why not sell a display that will work with it wirelessly? It would basically be the iPad with WiFi but no touch screen, no camera, maybe even no battery (always plugged-in), and a stripped down iOS with limited CPU/RAM/storage. You talk to the AppleTV box, the display lights up and shows you what you asked for. Add a microphone to the display so it can hear where you are and display you the results in your kitchen display, bedroom display or wherever.

What I haven't seen is something like the electronic-paper Kindle... a calm display. Most of the time I have my laptop and tv on quick shut-down because the ambient light feels grating (maybe it's the feeling of losing energy? not sure why it annoys me). A calendar or XKCD board would be awesome! Have the echo just populate a poster with stuff that's slightly irritating to lookup. Maybe similar to this hackaday post: https://hackaday.io/project/20466-wifi-epaper

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
AcuRite has a smart hub for environmental monitoring available now:

https://www.acurite.com/learn/my-acurite

The system consists of 3 parts:

1. Sensors
2. Smart hub
3. My AcuRite (web portal service & mobile apps for Android/iOS phones/tablets)

They have a variety of sensors available, which cover a variety of functions:

1. Temperature & humidity
2. Frozen pipe prevention
3. Water leak detection
4. Water temperature
5. Rainfall
6. Wind tracking
7. Weather forecast
8. Soil temperature

The smartHubs are $80 each and can handle 10 sensors per unit. You can add multiple hubs to track additional sensors.

https://www.acurite.com/smarthub-for-my-acurite-remote-monitoring.html

The My AcuRite system is detailed here:

https://www.acurite.com/learn/my-acurite

The apps & site have two primary functions:

1. Historical data (charts & graphs, spreadsheet downloads, high & low records, dynamic dashboard for various data comparisons)
2. Custom alerts (wind gust & wind chill, high & low temperature, rain alert, water leaks, high & low humidity, etc.

More details on the alerts here:

https://www.acurite.com/learn/my-acurite/alerts

Aside from the central hub hardware, here is a list of compatible sensors: (PDF)

https://prodcdn.acurite.com/media/documents/MyAcuRite-Compatible-Sensors.pdf

There's a package deal with the hub & three temperature/humidity sensors available on Amazon for $99:

https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01059RM-Temperature-Environment-Monitoring/dp/B00WXIR2TE/

The sensors are indoors/outdoors compatible & are also freezer/fridge compatible, so you can monitor outside temp, indoor temp, your fridge, and your freezer. Very nice! Reviews are kind of mixed, but I'm guessing that's because the service is fairly new in the same vein of the issues that Wink had when they first were released.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i wish acurite uses standards like z-wave or something instead of their own proprietary signals.
they do have very nice deals on their website from time to time that makes it super cheap compared to buying components separately

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
i wish acurite uses standards like z-wave or something instead of their own proprietary signals.
they do have very nice deals on their website from time to time that makes it super cheap compared to buying components separately

I'd actually prefer software integration, that way their radio system can remain separate & functional with existing hardware & their in-house software, but their API can tie into SmartThings, Wink, etc. Pella does a similar thing for their door & window sensors and automated shades...they have their own hub that in turn talks to the Wink Hub for master control. I'm sure they'll offer it at some point! I believe there is some third-party dev work in the SmartThings community already.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
The wife bought me one of these little known brand smart home kits under the name Geeni for Father's day. She knows nothing about these things but thought it was cool and I might like it. Beyond wanting to set up something to control lights to make it seem like someone is home while we're away, I didn't see much use for such devices but told her I'd try them out.

It's all standalone with a wireless camera, 2x color led bulbs and 2x switches. They're controlled by an app and apparently can be made to work with Alexa. We do have a wifi thermostat that can be controlled by Alexa. Problem is, we don't have an Echo so they're just devices that can be controlled by an app. Support seems rather poor through the app. While I can manually control the brightness and color of the bulbs there's no option to set these when I set a schedule to them. Just on or off at the set time and date. The IQ of the camera is decent but there's nothing available in the app to notify you when motion is detected.

Overall, if I don't get an Echo then it's pretty much meh. I currently have the 2 bulbs in the master bedroom to turn on when I get up and off shortly after I leave. I wish I could set a time to come on at night but we don't always go up to the room at a set time every night. With the Echo at least we can tell Alexa to turn on the master bedroom lights before going up. For the two outlet switches I don't even know what to do with them. Maybe control more lights?

Reactions: Kaido