Small (pc?) vacuum cleaner for ears?

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
Does anybody know a small vacuum cleaner, like maybe those use to clean small parts in a pc, that could work in your ears to clean them out without ofcourse damaging them.

Thanks for all good suggestions.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That sounds like a bad idea to me. Use an irrigation syringe, and warm water. Boil the water first if you can't trust it.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
p20868_500.jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
That's some low budget shit when it's only "similar" to as seen on tv :^D

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Vacuum cleaner + easy to damage eardrum... That sounds like a great idea.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
take a hot shower
let hot water into ears
let water drain out
use qtip afterwards to wick out whats left

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I'd look up the guy yipping when he can't use a Q-Tip and harpoons himself in the ear, that was one of the funnier bad commercial moments, but nah.

angminas

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2006
Do not vacuum your ears

i don't care how safe the package says it is

do not vacuum your ears

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Mix rubbing alcohol and vinegar (this may require ID to purchase) and tilt your head then pour a few drops in with a dropper, and you will hear it work it's way inside, just stay tilted for like a minute, then let it all out. I was super skeptical when I first heard of this concept but I've had doctors say it is safe. Though depending how plugged up you are it would not hurt to get a doctor to clean it out for you, they will be able to see in there more than you can. It's ridiculously satisfying to get that done too. :D Once it's done then just keep up with qtips, I tend to put it in while trying not to touch the edges of the ear, then I bring it to a side and slowly spin it while doing the contour, it grabs any wax without pushing it in. Don't go very far in, just enough to get the surface wax out.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
My doctor used a syringe with 50% peroxide and 50% water to irrigate my ears. That's what I now use but I use a syringe with a soft rubber tri-tip like this. http://www.amazon.com/Health-Enterprises-Ear-Removal-Syringe/dp/B000SOJXGA/

It's hard to use with my left hand though. He also said not to use it more than once a week.

The last time I went to the doctor he had a battery operated machine that squirt the water through a tri-tip nozzle. It worked great but I got dizzy as hell.

Also, don't use cold water or you will get dizzy. You don't want the water cold or too hot.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Pack your ear with baking soda then use a syringe to squirt in the vinegar.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Try taking a shower once a week and you will be fine. ;)

Unless this is your problem:

dIblL6e.gif

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
Gentle irrigation is your best bet, avoid suction/negative pressure in the ears. Pain will teach you the best amount of pressure to use (zero pressure).
Fun fact: ear-igation with liquids that are too cold can cause vertigo and nausea and pain.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
Some ENT's use a vacuum system. I accompanied my mother to her ENT, who had a system like this. The device even had a small camera and we could watch the vacuum work in the ear canal.

I would never use the over-the-counter device mentioned above. Given the importance of hearing, it is best left to a professional. For home use, an ear irrigation device is best, when daily hot showers are not taken.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Do you people not Q-Tip your ears daily?

I feel weird if I skip a Q-Tip session. Never had an ear infection, but I have jammed the tip into my eardrum a few times.

TheGardener

Golden Member
Jul 19, 2014
I should have mentioned that wearing a hearing aid makes things more difficult to control ear wax, which can get jammed in way back.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
I once lived in a remote village away from all the hustle and bustle of the city. I'm not sure what a bustle is and I'd bet good money neither will you until you google it. Go ahead. I'll wait. Ok I didn't really wait. I kept typing but you better be back here reading the rest of this and not go clicking around the internet when all you had to do was look up bustle. You go clicking around long enough and who knows where you'll end up. No one really cares what a bustle is anyway so forget that. Back to the story.

Anyway in that village there really wasn't all that much to do for fun so we decided to form a band. Everyone likes music right? Only problem is we couldn't find a drummer. We kept asking around if anyone knew any drummers or anyone wanted to maybe pick up learning to play the drums. We were getting pretty desperate because what's a band without a drummer? Then Jim, his name wasn't really Jim but let's just call him Jim to protect the innocent. Actually he wasn't really all that innocent either you see 'ol Jimbo there was a bit of a hooligan. He'd get into trouble with the law all the time. Nothing major or anything just little scrapes here and there. What would happen is Jim had a sister and she was...for lack of a better term never lonely. So one day one of the guys he says "Hey Jim how's your cum dumpster sister doin?" Then Jim would answer with a right hook followed by a left jab and the 2 would get in trouble for fighting. Speaking of dumpsters, 'ol Jim would go dumpster diving for scraps you know like used printers people threw away or something and sell them on ebay. Only problem was he'd be trespassing on private property because the dumpster wasn't his. Why people hire security to protect garbage is anyone's guess but they do. It's not like he was looking for evidence or anything. He wasn't involved in corporate espionage just looking for useful junk to sell.

Anyway, short story long, Jim got the idea to get an electronic drum machine. Well the other boys just weren't having any of it. "Electronic drum machine? Are you nuts? If we're gonna make music it's real or nothin!"

Ok so at this point we're thinking maybe this band idea isn't going to work out when one of the locals starts telling us about some kid in town they call the little drummer boy. We all looked at each other puzzled. What? Who is he talking about? We had never heard of any kids named little drummer boy before.

So the local says yeah he overheard some people at a restaurant talking about some little drummer boy and that we should seek him out. Well we got a description of the people he overheard and we tracked them down to a little yellow house high up on a hill in the northwest part of town.

We went over there and rang the doorbell. We knocked on the door. We weren't sure if anyone was even home because there wasn't a car in the driveway or anything. Then the door opens and this lady says "Hello, what can I do you boys for?" We all looked at each other like what the...

So after introducing ourselves as a new band in town in need of a drummer she gets this puzzled look on her face like she doesn't know what we're talking about. We tell her we heard the little drummer boy lives here. She immediately broke out in laughter. She said "Oh that's my son Lonnie! He impaled his eardrum with a Q-tip the other day and we were all poking fun of him and calling him the little drummer boy.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Do you people not Q-Tip your ears daily?

I feel weird if I skip a Q-Tip session. Never had an ear infection, but I have jammed the tip into my eardrum a few times.

no, every medical professional tells you not to do this...