Small Form Factor PC For Gaming

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Ok, so shifting gears. It looks like now I don't need a gaming laptop because I will be living in an extended stay and keeping it for the weekends.

So rather than blow all kinds of cash on a laptop, I am thinking a small form factor pc is the way to go.

I want something that will work w/ my E8400 CPU and Radeon 4870 (or maybe a 4870 X2). I am open to getting an AMD chip if they are a lot better.

Are some better than others? Which are the best?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Off the top of my head here I'd say look at the Silverstone series of cases (SG01, SG02, SG03, etc.,) I know for a fact the SG03 will take any length size card. Lots to choose from when it comes to mobos. If you want something that is very stable, reliable, and also overclocks nicely take a look at ASUS P5E-VM HDMI mATX mobo. It sells for around $130-$135 normally but you might catch it on sale somewhere for a few dollars less. There are a number of decent mobos under $100 but they will allow little to no overclocking potential so keep that in mind when looking at them. Wether you want to overclock or not is up to you. A E8400 is a very good overclocking CPU so thats why I mention overclocking.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: BlueAcolyte
The NZXT Rogue is also a case you should consider (5 120mm fans, I think).

i wouldnt call that beast a 'Small Form Factor' though. its pretty big compared to something like a shuttle, which i would consider more of a real sff than a micro atx like the NZXT

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The SFF case has grown in size in the last couple of years to house the larger video cards and provide better cooling that many SFF enthusiasts want. Cases like the Rogue and Qmicra arent your typical SFF cases. They are much larger than the typical smaller SFF cubes that have been around a while but the manufacturer still lists them as SFF cases because they use a mATX mobo inside and are officially still considered SFF in design. These larger type SFF cases are the cadillacs of their type obviously and that needs to be remembered. Not everyone needs or wants a Cadillac though. :D

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Skott
There are a number of decent mobos under $100 but they will allow little to no overclocking potential so keep that in mind when looking at them.

Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L can overclock fine. I took mine to 480MHz FSB. I think that's more than sufficient to make any E8400 say "uncle" with that high a speed plus up to 1.60v vCore. ;)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I guess I stand corrected then although I'd say the GA-G31M-S2L is more of an exception than a rule in the sub $100 mobo market. Anyway, it gets the official 'Zap Approved' designation so thats good enough for me. The OP should check this mobo out if he feels the P5E-VM HDMI is too pricey. Be sure to compare features between the two though.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Skott
GA-G31M-S2L ... P5E-VM HDMI ... Be sure to compare features between the two though.

Benefits of the Gigabyte board: Cheaper (LESS than half the price), smaller/lighter if that matters.

Benefits of the Asus board: May hit a few more MHz in overclocking, four RAM slots, supports more than 4GB RAM, maybe better integrated video, better integrated video output options, maybe better integrated audio by a couple channels, RAID support?

someone16

Dec 18, 2003
Take a look at the Lian Li PC-A05. Real small case but with the ability to put in ATX boards and have decent cooling. Alot of the cube SFF cases are smaller in height but way wider so it kinda cancels out.

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
This is the board you want to hold out for:

http://www.xfastest.com/viewth...208&extra=&page=1#zoom

Oh yeah, IMO if it has more volume than a mini tower, I don't care if it holds a mATX board, it's not really a mATX rig.

Cases like the NXT Rogue, Lian Li, Q-Micra..........those cases are freakin huge. I don't see
why they don't put standoffs for ATX and just call it a small ATX case.

I have to lug my Micro Fly across the country and it's heavy enough as it is. There's no way in hell I would lug a Rogue around.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Originally posted by: skunkboy72
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16813136066

I'm considering this DFI Lanparty Jr. for a SSF build i'm making.

anyone have any experience with it?

Here's an ongoing thread about that mobo you were looking at.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1380123

Its a pretty good mobo for the most part but that new one DFI has releasing soon is expected to be even better although there are no real performance tests of it yet. Its expected to be expensive too. As far as mATX mobos goes. For people looking to keep to a low budget I'd suggest looking at the LG775 mobos for now. The best of those mATX units IMHO is the P5E-VM HDMI but there are some cheaper mobos than it but with fewer features. Zap reviewed a couple in the Motherboard section here on AT.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
but if they had made it bigger for bigger video cards, then i'm not sure that 300w psu could handle it.. so then they would have to put a bigger psu in there, which would make it bigger still.
i've noticed something in the pictures though. that top perforation seems kind of useless. most of it is blocked by the psu, so i dont understand the point in having it.
also the psu sits right above where the cpu would be, so would limit what kind of heatsink you would be able to use

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Zap

Been hearing about that for a while. When and how much... is what I want to know.

Of course they could have made it another inch longer and it would fit a GTX 285 or so.

It's appeared on Froogle for $95 and $99 within the last two weeks but it's never been in stock and it's off of there right now.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: IlllI

also the psu sits right above where the cpu would be, so would limit what kind of heatsink you would be able to use

It states that the CPU heatsink is limited to 78mm in height. Just over 3 inches.

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
Originally posted by: Engineer

It states that the CPU heatsink is limited to 78mm in height. Just over 3 inches.

yes...and? hence my statement. thats not much room to work with

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: IlllI
Originally posted by: Engineer

yes...and? hence my statement. thats not much room to work with

Just giving some numbers so people can gage what they're working with, that's all. ;)