Slow PSN? How to speed it up!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: sswingle
It doesn't bother me enough (maybe I'm not effected like others) to screw with that, but I would be curious to hear if it helps a lot of people or not.

Same. The downloads are very slow for me, but I just do something else while stuff is downloading.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Now that I think about it I may understand what is going on. Let me run some traces and do a frame and packet level analysis. What it really changes is TCP/IP stack differences/deficiencies on the PS3.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
Now that I think about it I may understand what is going on. Let me run some traces and do a frame and packet level analysis. What it really changes is TCP/IP stack differences/deficiencies on the PS3.

So, from this, we may actually have the answer as to why it's slow? Will this cover differences like what I noticed? By that, I mean switching ISPs but having the exact same hardware and setup as before?

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Bump for update: also posted in OP.

UPDATE: As I said I would, I have finally had the chance to follow the above steps. I can confirm that the guide can and does work. I'm now pulling 500Kb/s (estimated) download speeds over my wireless network, which is known to be slower than wired here. Either way, it's tons faster than I was getting previous over wired at home. I'll be able to test the wired speeds tomorrow.

However, I had problems getting my PS3 to connect to the proxy on Vista. Maybe I choose a bad static IP or something. I tried everything (disable firewall, for one), but simply couldn't get it to work with Vista. I really don't know what it is. However, it worked right away with XP. Set the computer to a static IP, download Privoxy and set it up (takes 30 seconds). Restart the computer (I've heard that can be a problem if you don't), start Privoxy...connect to proxy with PS3. Just like the guide said.

I'm wondering if Vista didn't work because it can use IPv6? I know XP doesn't...hm.

Anyway, if you haven't tried it yet, do it! Once you can get it connected, which is quick and easy, you should notice a difference if you aren't already pulling 500Kb/s-1Mb/s download speeds (though it may be even faster if you have a REALLY fast network).

I'm still waiting on that other modem, so I'll keep this updated.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: hans030390
However, I had problems getting my PS3 to connect to the proxy on Vista. Maybe I choose a bad static IP or something. I tried everything (disable firewall, for one), but simply couldn't get it to work with Vista. I really don't know what it is. However, it worked right away with XP. Set the computer to a static IP, download Privoxy and set it up (takes 30 seconds). Restart the computer (I've heard that can be a problem if you don't), start Privoxy...connect to proxy with PS3. Just like the guide said.

When I did my test it was on a Vista Home Premium 64-bit computer that I'm using as a file server. Seemed to work just fine.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: Thraxen

When I did my test it was on a Vista Home Premium 64-bit computer that I'm using as a file server. Seemed to work just fine.

I probably did something wrong then, or the computer is messed up (it's my family's, not mine...and I've been away from it for a while...I don't know what they've done to it, haha).

Minor update: I'm now easily getting 1Mb/s download speeds via wireless, so wired should be just as fast (if not slightly more so). I don't know if it was because I moved the wireless antenna a couple inches or messed with the wireless settings a bit...either way, better signal and faster speeds. I once saw it download 2-3Mb in a second! :Q

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I may have to give this a try. Going to go see what my PSN speeds look like first, though.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Need updates, it took something like ten minutes to download a 13MB update for LittleBigPlanet yesterday. I cancelled once I saw the next one was 23MB.

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Originally posted by: nakedfrog

Need updates, it took something like ten minutes to download a 13MB update for LittleBigPlanet yesterday. I cancelled once I saw the next one was 23MB.

Mine did all 5 LBP updates in about 5 minutes.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005

So...try the guide? Shouldn't have taken more than 30 seconds to download 13mb...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
If I can just change the MTU or something, I'd rather do that. It would be slightly less work.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I've run into an issue using this method. It seems to work great downloads for the most part, but for some reason I can't connect to the online portion of Hot Shots Golf 5 while running through the proxy. I get some error stating that the game could not connect to the server. As soon as I turn the proxy off I can connect immediately. This doesn't happen to all games though. For example, I can play Little Big Planet online with no issues while running through the proxy. Any ideas?

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
If I can just change the MTU or something, I'd rather do that. It would be slightly less work.

Yeah, it would. But honestly, no one's sure what the exact cause is. This is pretty much guaranteed to work, though.

Originally posted by: Thraxen
I've run into an issue using this method. It seems to work great downloads for the most part, but for some reason I can't connect to the online portion of Hot Shots Golf 5 while running through the proxy. I get some error stating that the game could not connect to the server. As soon as I turn the proxy off I can connect immediately. This doesn't happen to all games though. For example, I can play Little Big Planet online with no issues while running through the proxy. Any ideas?

Strange...I've only played Killzone 2 with Privoxy. I suppose it's not flawless. However, most people don't experience lag or the like even with the slow download speeds, so I doubt this is a huge issue.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I just tested the guide.

Residential Cable Internet: Usually around 7 down/1 up.
Proxy Host: Computer in sig.
Tested speeds while DLing MGS4 demo. Tested for 6 minutes of downloading pre-proxy and post-proxy. Made sure no other computers on the network were using the connection.

Pre-proxy: 317kbps
Post-proxy: 700kbps

2.2x faster with the proxy. Like others have said, I really don't plan on leaving my desktop on just to run a proxy for my PS3 as my desktop is a bit power hungry. But hey, when I want to DL/Stream something off the net, I'll probably throw it up. It seems like it makes a clear difference. I may test it again some other day just to see if it was a fluke, but I doubt it. If I figure out why my linux box isn't posting and fix it, perhaps I'll have that thing host a proxy and then use it all the time. Really though, I don't online game with my PS3 (I bought it primarily as a BRD player) so I'm not overly concerned with net speeds on it.

Regardless, thanks for posting the guide hans!

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Regardless, thanks for posting the guide hans!

No problem. :) I'm glad it can help some people out. Like I said, online play itself should be fine without Privoxy. PSN seems to only be slow with downloads themselves. So, for those not wanting to keep it up all the time, it's a good way to speed up your downloads considerably. Just turn it off when done, unless you're just going to download overnight. Sometimes it's just no fun to wait, though. ;)

Oct 19, 2000
Just turn it off when done, unless you're just going to download overnight. Sometimes it's just no fun to wait, though. ;)

Hell, if this is boosting people's speeds so dramatically, you won't need to download shit overnight anymore. I still haven't taken the time to try it, I need to put that on my to-do list.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
So much for testing out a different modem...the guy I bought it from sent me a much older version that what he listed. So, unless he can get me the right version really quickly (before I go back to school), I guess I won't be able to test for a long while...

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Ok, I have my PS3 connected with the proxy. My dad turned the computer running Privoxy off while I was playing Killzone 2. For some reason, I was not disconnected...and I've been playing for a while after...?

sswingle

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Ok, I have my PS3 connected with the proxy. My dad turned the computer running Privoxy off while I was playing Killzone 2. For some reason, I was not disconnected...and I've been playing for a while after...?

I would guess something was not setup correctly and you were in fact not going through the proxy.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Since I wired the house with Cat5e and upgraded to the 15Mbps road runner turbo (free for 12 months too= $120 savings woot!) I have dispensed with wireless access for anything but my laptop. The PS3 has been very fast since doing so, and the KZ2 demo downloaded so fast I actually exclaimed "damn!"

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Baked
I can setup QoS for my PS3 just like I did for BT, but I don't know what port the PS3 uses, so I'm just gonna leave it alone. I just setup PS3 to shutdown after d/l.

What would be sweet is the ability to update all games, OS, and download all freebie content for the games you have on the PS3 with shutdown after download. I hate it when I pick up a game I haven't played in awhile and there's a large patch ready to download. It would be nice if PSN could operate like Steam when it comes to patching games and keeping the underlying software up-to-date.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
Originally posted by: sswingle

I would guess something was not setup correctly and you were in fact not going through the proxy.

Nope...it is definitely set up right. If it's not, the PS3 won't connect when I try to enter in a proxy to connect with. I checked my PS3's network settings, in this situation, and it was definitely still using the proxy.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
For anyone who tries this NOW, it seems as though the PSN is having issues of sorts. Two days ago I was getting really fast download speeds. Now I'm getting slow speeds...and ever slower without the proxy. I heard it's just the PSN being weird (servers did crash not too long ago).

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
Wow. I can't believe I waited so long to try this. It is a night and day difference. Anyone in the Chicagoland area that uses Comcast should definitely try this. It made a huge difference for me.