Skyrim Official Specs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Yes you do. :p

But it's no matter, as long as their games continue to ship with editors the fans will clean up their mess and then some.

Yeah it's fortunate though that the PC has a nice community of modders.

Monster_Munch

Oct 19, 2010
My PC was high end 2 years ago but it still exceeds those recommended specs. Tech seems to be moving quite slowly at the moment.

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
This game is supposed to be the biggest thing in PC gaming to date. If there isn't a noticable visual difference between a 4890 and a 6970 then someone is going to get their ass kicked. Hell, I may even kick more than one ass!

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I would guess that this has more to do with how the game is QA'd rather than whether or not it can technically be supported under XP. Not running QA cycles in XP will save them money long term. Especially considering how few gamers these days are running that OS. I don't have any hard numbers, but my guess is it would be a very small percentage.

Also Win7 will be supported longer then XP plus option to add DX11 content to 7 later or some point down the road,basically its better and wiser choice to go with Win7 then XP which should really be considered dead IMHO.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
My PC was high end 2 years ago but it still exceeds those recommended specs. Tech seems to be moving quite slowly at the moment.
The best thing that will happen to PC gamers is Console Generation 8. Get DX11 on those things and let's open the doors.

Sep 23, 2011
Looks like my Intel i5-2500k will be chomping on this game with ease. I expected recommended specs to be pretty low.

Oh well, still looks like a great game. However, I won't be supporting it with full price purchase. When it comes down to $25 or less on a sale, I'll bite.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Looks like my Intel i5-2500k will be chomping on this game with ease. I expected recommended specs to be pretty low.

Oh well, still looks like a great game. However, I won't be supporting it with full price purchase. When it comes down to $25 or less on a sale, I'll bite.

Yeah, anything under $30 is a good deal. Sometime early next year probably.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I assume I will be able to max this out on my GTX 570. It's still a great looking game judging by the gameplay videos I have seen even if it's not DX11. I look forward to picking it up in the new year.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I assume I will be able to max this out on my GTX 570. It's still a great looking game judging by the gameplay videos I have seen even if it's not DX11. I look forward to picking it up in the new year.

I think most, if not all, of the videos have shown X360 footage. It should look a bit better on PC (better view distance, hopefully higher texture options, etc).

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
*64 bit Windows adoption - rates are going up steadily, but 64 bit users are still a minority AFAIK. Maybe the rate of adoption is higher among gamers, but still not that high. Seems that no major devs want to risk losing a lot sales by requiring 64 bit.

Nobody's saying they should require 64 bit. All they have to do is make two separate .exe (as many games have done in the past.)

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
On another note I have heard that DX 11 may be in the works "if the fans want it". DX 9 at release though.

RandomSanity

Jan 23, 2006
I still think Oblivion looks pretty good. Mind you I haven't seen vanilla Oblivion in a while, I've always had texture mods installed so that may be why.

I don't imagine it will take too long for higher res textures to be released. Thus the minimum specs really have no meaning. We already knew this game was going to be released on consoles so there was no chance for them to be too demanding.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
Nobody's saying they should require 64 bit. All they have to do is make two separate .exe (as many games have done in the past.)

Many games? I can think of maybe half a dozen major games that support 64 bit. And as I said, unless it's just a half-assed pointless recompile, they're basically making a totally separate port of the game. It's not a trivial amount of work.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just like any release of specs, it won't help indicate how the game will actually perform.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Didn't development of Skyrim start in early 06? This is most likely the reason for it not support 64-bit or DX10/11.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Seriously, praise the console gimping. My 2 year old computer still runs everything at 1920x1200 at or near max. Too lazy to throw in an SSD and add Ram. Upgraded my video to a 6850 earlier this year.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Didn't development of Skyrim start in early 06? This is most likely the reason for it not support 64-bit or DX10/11.

They started working on it in 2008 (post-Crysis era)

Also, Chronicles of Riddick had native 64 bit support, and it was released in 2004.

PrayForDeath

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
Recommended PC Specs:
Win XP/7
Quad-core Intel/AMD CPU
4GB RAM
6GB HD

I just noticed this. The game only requires 6GBs of disk space? Isn't that way low for a game of this scope? Seems like they're using console textures :/

SirFelixCat

Nov 24, 2005
I just noticed this. The game only requires 6GBs of disk space? Isn't that way low for a game of this scope? Seems like they're using console textures :/

They spent most of the night on twitter trying to explain this to everyone who thought "zOMG the sky is falling!!!".

They simply explained that they have learned a ton about optimizing and to trust them, you should be thrilled at that, not seeing it as impending doom. :)

IOW, relax about the install footprint.

eta:
Updated: We’ve seen plenty of comments relating to the game only requiring six gigs of HDD space. Don’t worry… there’s still a ton of game in there. The total HDD space relates more to the compression opitmizations we’re able to do with The Creation Engine. Not only are do we think you’ll be impressed with how the game looks, but also how much faster it runs..

http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/10/25/skyrim-system-requirements-announced/

Last edited: