Internet Access for Steam activation

Recommended PC Specs:

Win XP/7
Quad-core Intel/AMD CPU
4GB RAM
6GB HD
DX compatable sound card
DX9 vid card w/ 1 GB. GTX 260/Radeon 4890 or higher

Seems pretty easy to run on minimum specs but the game looks very demanding on the high settings for a DX 9 game.

Also a note: The recommended specs are for the game on high, ultra will require better HW.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Thanks to the current consoles holding us all back those recommended specs are quite unintimidating. However, I expect greatly increased texture pack mods that will require some actual power to run.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
Thanks to the current consoles holding us all back those recommended specs are quite unintimidating. However, I expect greatly increased texture pack mods that will require some actual power to run.

They aren't intimidating to us. :D

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I would say use the 'recommended' specs as your minimum. Doesn't say how powerful of a quad though. WTF? LOL

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I would say use the 'recommended' specs as your minimum. Doesn't say how powerful of a quad though. WTF? LOL

Yeah specifications these days are kind of a joke.
A dual core 1.6Ghz Atom isnt the same as last gens 1.6Ghz double CPU.

A 3Ghz dual core i3 is different from a 3Ghz dual core i5. Both of which are much different from any number of cpu's in the Pentium D line even if it went to 4Ghz.

The Radeon 4890 is definitely a solid suggestion, in terms of explicitness. But I ran New Vegas with that exact card and it wasnt exactly max details with smooth frame rates, and Skyrim looks to be quite a bit heavier on the eye candy. Suspect they just dont want to scare people off.

s1njin

Apr 11, 2011
Damned if you do damned if you don't. W/ recommended specs this low everybody is going to assume the game will look like garbage. If the specs were really high, everybody would assume that even WITH the recommendation it wouldn't be smooth enough.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
No dx11 support on the recommended specs?

Why recommend windows 7 if they are not going to use dx11.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001

Maybe it runs the game better/faster than XP? Beats me.

I hope it's more interesting than Oblivion...I couldn't get into it at all.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010

I'm betting they'll be limited on what they can do. Oblivion easily ran into issues with memory. Since Beth isn't making a 64 bit exe for Skyrim, it will have similar problems. And Skyrim is certain to use more memory stock, so modders will have less room to work with.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
I'm betting they'll be limited on what they can do. Oblivion easily ran into issues with memory. Since Beth isn't making a 64 bit exe for Skyrim, it will have similar problems. And Skyrim is certain to use more memory stock, so modders will have less room to work with.

I have a thread that might be related to your post, its about windows xp and the future of gaming.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2200116

The recommended specs for skyrim is at the maximum amount of memory supported with XP. This leaves almost nothing for developers to play with.

Skyrim is pushing xp to its limits with gaming, but does not utilize dx11 built into windows 7.

Its as if the developers are trying to balance between an outdated OS, while not fully adopting the new features of windows 7.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Its as if the developers are trying to balance between an outdated OS, while not fully adopting the new features of windows 7.

I know, it is as if there is a device out there that the developers are developing for that has a more advanced OS then XP, but lacks the modern hardware to take advantage of that power.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
A lack of DX10/DX11 support in Skyrim shows just how low on the totem pole PC gamers have become for Bethesda now that the console gravy train is rollin'.

I have no doubt all of the menus will be oversized too, which will need a mod to fix.

Thanks goodness for modders, in most cases they're who we should be sending our money to.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I have a thread that might be related to your post, its about windows xp and the future of gaming.

Lack of 64 bit support is really a separate issue from moving away from WinXP support. The main issue is that 64 bit support basically requires the developer to make 2 different PC versions of their game. 64 bit support isn't terribly difficult to do, but to give the 64 bit version any really advantage you are going to have to make your game engine be able to recognize and take advantage it when additional memory is available.

The main barriers to effective 64 bit support are, IMO:
*Consoles - as long as developers are having to heavily trim memory usage for console versions, there isn't much motivation to do even more work supporting more memory for 64 bit.
*64 bit Windows adoption - rates are going up steadily, but 64 bit users are still a minority AFAIK. Maybe the rate of adoption is higher among gamers, but still not that high. Seems that no major devs want to risk losing a lot sales by requiring 64 bit.
*Simple lack of need - they can get by on 32 bit; so that's what they do. It's apparently proven easier and/or more cost effective for them to improve compression and so on than to move to 64 bit. Eventually though they'll hit a wall with this. IIRC in his original article on the 64 bit transition Anand speculated (in 2006 or so) that it would happen within 3-4 years. Well, 5 years later and they're still stretching 32 bit. How much longer can they do it? Dunno.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Well, if this is accurate it confirms some rumors I've been seeing around in reqards to requiring Steam.

I was pretty much iffy on this after the Oblivion bugs, but requiring Steam just ain't gonna happen for me.

I know you all think Steam's the best thing since sliced bread, I'm just not going to mess with it.

First Civ V, which turned out to be a major turd, and now this . . . .

Quite disappointing :thumbsdown:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
*64 bit Windows adoption - rates are going up steadily, but 64 bit users are still a minority AFAIK. Maybe the rate of adoption is higher among gamers, but still not that high.

For later reference, and from the steam survey

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Windows 7 64 bit - 41.06%
Windows XP 32 bit - 18.47%
Windows Vista 64 bit - 12.44%
Windows Vista 32 bit - 11.94%
Windows 7 (I guess this is 32bit windows 7) - 9.66%

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004

These aren't the best written specs, but I suspect the way they wrote it so that people wouldn't think you needed XP to run the game, and that any of the 3 would be acceptable.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010

I would guess that this has more to do with how the game is QA'd rather than whether or not it can technically be supported under XP. Not running QA cycles in XP will save them money long term. Especially considering how few gamers these days are running that OS. I don't have any hard numbers, but my guess is it would be a very small percentage.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I may be naive but let's just wait and see. Maybe Beth learned from past experience and matured...damn I sound stupid now :p

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I may be naive but let's just wait and see. Maybe Beth learned from past experience and matured...damn I sound stupid now :p

Yes you do. :p

But it's no matter, as long as their games continue to ship with editors the fans will clean up their mess and then some.