Skylake AVX bug

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
MS does for Windows but not very often, usually for critical fixes.

Example of AMD microcode and Windows.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2818604

Pretty interesting that they have been providing µCode updates for those crappy Bobcat APUs, especially when they did not provide one to fix the critical issues which Bulldozers had... I guess it would require some activity from AMD side too in order to MS be able to distribute the updates in the first place :rolleyes:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Intel must have extensive test suites, and a huge budget...You do have to wonder, how did this one slip by them?
It isn't like programs like prime95 are rare, so, who dropped the ball on this one?

Mar 10, 2006
Intel must have extensive test suites, and a huge budget...You do have to wonder, how did this one slip by them?
It isn't like programs like prime95 are rare, so, who dropped the ball on this one?

That's a really good question...

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
Why, "version 1.1" will have errors. There isn't going to be any change to Skylake CPUs. This issue is fixed, new will come. Its how it is with all MPUs.
No, it's no how it is with all MPUs. New Intel steppings sometimes include fixes for some errata. It's rare, but it happens.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
It's just actually impossible to completely verify a modern CPU.
This is not the same as testing different code paths of existing and well known CPU heavy software. But as forcing a specific FFT size to be used for hours is more than running the built in standard tests, this might simply have been missed.

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013

zir_blazer

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2013
More fresh meat.

The very first 386 Steppings had some critical flaws running Protected Mode (32 Bits) Software that made the system to hang. Intel recalled them, tested them, and remarked them with a double sigma symbol, or "16 BIT S/W ONLY". The Windows 3.10 errors for defective 386s are rather amusing.
There are even comments that ocassionally Intel has been extremely tight lipped about errata, like for the 486 era. And please lets not even get started talking about undocumented instructions. The 286/386 LOADALL history is rather interesing.

That blog is really tasty...

Last edited:

Dufus

Sep 20, 2010
Seems Intel had a spot of trouble finding this bug because it was already fixed with the microcode they were using to test for it (ver 0x6A). Well, that's the story. :/

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
Asus just launched BIOS 1602 for the Z170-A, which I have. As always, Asus is vague about what's fixed ("stability improvements"), but it appears to include the new CPU microcode. I've run some tests (Cinebench, 7-zip, Sunspider and Geekbench) and at least in those tests there are no performance regressions. Running AVX code is perhaps the most interesting test and I'm not sure if any of the above mentioned use AVX... Does anyone know?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
CB doesn't, and I really doubt GB does due to its poor x86 support.

Just run something like Linpack before and after. But there is no information that it should affect performance.

You can also use encoders. They tend to use AVX as well.

Brunnis

Nov 15, 2004
CB doesn't, and I really doubt GB does due to its poor x86 support.

Just run something like Linpack before and after. But there is no information that it should affect performance.

You can also use encoders. They tend to use AVX as well.
Nah, I had some benches from when I upgraded, so just thought I'd re-run some of them to make sure. The microcode is already applied, so can't really make any new comparisons now.

Didn't expect any performance implications, though, and I'm glad these limited tests confirm that.