"Significant Findings" by mars rover Opportunity.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Wake me when a little green man starts hamming it up for the camera. Now that will be a significant finding.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: AlexWade
Okay....

.... they found water. *Yawn* is this what our $5 ga-zillion dollars are going toward. Seriously, finding water proves what? That there could have been life. Finding water on Mars isn't the biggest thing since landing on the moon, it isn't the biggest thing since I woke up this morning.

Why dont you find a better way to explore space?

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
sweet this probably guarantees that NASA gets to go back to mars more often and with a bigger budget.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
*Yawn* They need to calm down a little bit about water. If they find anything worth reporting then they should go all crazy like they have today such as "Fossils found"

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
damn I really hope a lot of you in this thread are just playing at how shortsighted you are.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You people saying that finding water on another planet isn't significant have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :disgust:

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Eli
You people saying that finding water on another planet isn't significant have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. :disgust:
No kidding.

Zysoclaplem

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2003
May'be they'll find Quato.
"Open your mind Quaid......Open your mind......" Probably won't be the real Quato though.
More than likely just a little guy strapped to some other guy out for quick cash. Boy would I hate to be him when they find out he isn't really Quato. But he'll be long gone to Mexico with all the cash before they knew what hit them. He may be small, but momma didn't raise no fool.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Okay....

.... they found water. *Yawn* is this what our $5 ga-zillion dollars are going toward. Seriously, finding water proves what? That there could have been life. Finding water on Mars isn't the biggest thing since landing on the moon, it isn't the biggest thing since I woke up this morning.

Yeah....

It is the biggest space finding since the moon landing (mostly 'cause we've done jack crap). Still, this means that mars was once a *WET* planet much like our own. It can teach us about the geology of our planet and it tells us there the water is still probably there, somewhere (I don't think the escape veloity of mars is so low that WATER could boil off), and therefore, it will be MUCH, MUCH easier to colonize mars and make it habitable.

If you don't think this is significant, you are a fool.

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Okay....

...and finding fossils will prove what? That there once was life on Mars. Whoopie doo. Finding evidence of water on Mars means that odds are it's still there in some form, meaning we MAY be able to send a long term human mission there someday.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: PhasmatisNox
My bet is on water.

Little late aren't ya? Did the post time out? :D

And

...where's my $10!??!

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
I thought they already knew there was water. Mars is covered in landforms formed by water, and it has been known forever that there is ice and a little liquid water.

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Why we don't use that funding to do things on earth is beyond me. Water on Mars? Whoop-de-doo. I'd rather see more deep sea exploration or use it on domestic programs.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sifl
Why we don't use that funding to do things on earth is beyond me. Water on Mars? Whoop-de-doo. I'd rather see more deep sea exploration or use it on domestic programs.
Because NASA is a space exploration outfit, not deep sea exploration ... :p

I guess some people just fail to see the significance of finding conclusive evidence of water on mars.

Doggiedog

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
On the topic of the mars rover, did anyone see that Pepsi commercial on the Oscars? It was hilarious.