Sign the Death Star Petition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
Just to treat this slightly seriously for a second, it wouldn't just be expenses... think of the massive amount of practical knowledge and experience that would be accrued by even attempting something like this. Applicable to all kinds of space endeavors of a more practical nature going forward.

A better example would be just trying to make a viable large scale space ship.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
A better example would be just trying to make a viable large scale space ship.

What? Please - we have a moon just sitting there not doing anything. Add some armor platting and a giant laser, maybe a vent shaft to the middle and we're done.

You say: That's no moon, its a space station
I say: Why can't it be both?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
What? Please - we have a moon just sitting there not doing anything. Add some armor platting and a giant laser, maybe a vent shaft to the middle and we're done.

You say: That's no moon, its a space station
I say: Why can't it be both?

A couple hundred miles of rock is some pretty kick-ass armor platting.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
A couple hundred miles of rock is some pretty kick-ass armor platting.

Yes but the same rock that has been in the sky for thousands of years doesn't spark the same dread and feeling of bad assery as an armored platted moon. I'll bet we could contract that out to China if we really needed to. Rumor has it they have some decent prefabrication ability