Sidewalk vs treadmill...

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
So question for the experts:

Does walking on the sidewalk produce more weight loss then a treadmill?

I had been hitting the treadmill regularly at the gym. This gym has giant fans blowing in you. Anyway I didn't loose a pound.

This past week I've been walking outside for the same amount of time as the treadmill and went from 223 to 219.

The only real difference I between the two is it's still frigid here with temps at freezing so I'm thinking my body is burning more calories as it's also fighting to stay warm?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
So question for the experts:

Does walking on the sidewalk produce more weight loss then a treadmill?

I had been hitting the treadmill regularly at the gym. This gym has giant fans blowing in you. Anyway I didn't loose a pound.

This past week I've been walking outside for the same amount of time as the treadmill and went from 223 to 219.

The only real difference I between the two is it's still frigid here with temps at freezing so I'm thinking my body is burning more calories as it's also fighting to stay warm?

It shouldn't make a difference all things being equal BUT you may be altering your pace more on the street, where you have more variation.
For example, on a treadmill programs its a steady state of whatever you have it set to. Perhaps you picked one of the programs that alter the speed or incline on a periodic basis.
Running on the street opens up all sorts stuff. Even on a plain old sidewalk you cave all sorts of things that effect your stride or you could be all over the place when it come to pace and not even realize it.

I hate treadmills and I hate tracks so I am biased. I'll take out doors (street, sidewalk or trail) any day.

Reactions: paperfist

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i have the same experience as OP. never lose seem to lose weight on a treadmill or elliptical.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
It shouldn't make a difference all things being equal BUT you may be altering your pace more on the street, where you have more variation.
For example, on a treadmill programs its a steady state of whatever you have it set to. Perhaps you picked one of the programs that alter the speed or incline on a periodic basis.
Running on the street opens up all sorts stuff. Even on a plain old sidewalk you cave all sorts of things that effect your stride or you could be all over the place when it come to pace and not even realize it.

I hate treadmills and I hate tracks so I am biased. I'll take out doors (street, sidewalk or trail) any day.

Well I don't use any programs on the treadmill. I pretty much start off on 3 speed and move up and down to 4 and vary the incline:

You're right about the sidewalk though, there's always branches to avoid and broken cement to navigate. I walk at a brisk pace but no where the intensity that I do on a treadmill. I guess I should compare how many steps I take on either.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Thing about the treadmill is that you can just get off and stop, on the pavement you have to turn around and walk back! ;)

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
the street is dangerous and boring. At the house in front of the 85" tv with a towel over your elliptical screen will yeild a much better result. not in just mileage but less dog bites broken ankles from bad sidewalks, never get hit by a car.... etc etc. i lost 50 pounds on a elliptical of course i ate fish and non fat cottage cheese everyday too for 3 months (just for one meal a day lunch) and went 10 miles on elliptical watching episodes of mentalist and was so fun and always completed my 10 miles laughing the whole time.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Thing about the treadmill is that you can just get off and stop, on the pavement you have to turn around and walk back! ;)

lol I've run into that a few times. Oh I'll just take this side street, it'll just add a little extra time. Half a mile later and rain pouring down...

the street is dangerous and boring. At the house in front of the 85" tv with a towel over your elliptical screen will yeild a much better result. not in just mileage but less dog bites broken ankles from bad sidewalks, never get hit by a car.... etc etc. i lost 50 pounds on a elliptical of course i ate fish and non fat cottage cheese everyday too for 3 months (just for one meal a day lunch) and went 10 miles on elliptical watching episodes of mentalist and was so fun and always completed my 10 miles laughing the whole time.

Haha!

Taking the streets is pretty interesting and provides a view you just don't get with a car. I've seen some interesting sidewalk stampings like the Star of David. Seen some sidewalks totally destroyed in high tax areas. Seen the cool stuff people are doing with LED lighting.

I get what you mean though, I could finally watch all The Profit, Bar Rescue and History channel shows I have piled up on my DVR.

Damn that's impressive! 50 pounds in 3 months?!?! I gotta get some of that cottage cheese :D

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
More than likely its straight coincidence, but there is reason to believe that walking outside is generally better for you. Some of the reasons have been stated but one big one is the Vitamin D you get from the sun. If you're deficient in that, your energy will be low. But if you walk outside and get lots of it, you're more likely to be more active for the rest of the day, which may lead you to burn more calories. Same is true with fresh air and blue sky, though to a lesser extent.

You are probably craving some Vitamin D.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Are the times of day different? If you walk in the mornings in a fasting state (haven't eaten since the night before) there's a bit more fat burning efficiency than if you are exercising later in the day.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I had good success on the treadmill when I had a daily regimen. Every other day I would double up, and coupled with the change in diet the needle moved.
I get about 8 miles a day now at work, and run 1.5 miles round-trip from the parking lot to the train station. The scale is not moving much, but I feel better. I just ran 3 blocks flat out with a 40 pound pack to catch the train, and I could speak afterwards.

KIAman

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
I view it like this. Sidewalk is like lifting with dumbbells and barbells where you need to use additional helper muscles along with your primary muscles to do the movements. Overall, this helps your body be more functionally strong.

Where treadmill is like machines which do a really good job isolating a specific muscle but not good for all the helper muscles. This does not help with functional strength as much as free weights.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
I prefer the street.
With the treadmill the scenery never changes and you can stop whenever you want.
With outside you get sunshine, no gym smell, and when you're tired and want to stop you still have to get home, which forces you to go a little bit further.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
If you live in a pretty flat area with no real uphill environment then the treadmill will have obvious advantages in that regard.

Incline 3.5% at 3.5mph for 30mins I think is a decent little walk for most people. The pace is probably not too fast for most and doesn't come with the impact that jogging or running might have, but the incline ensures you're getting a good workout.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Depends on the sidewalk. Quiet suburb with some trees around, or right in a pure concrete jungle.

For me getting outdoors is always more motivating, and luckily I have green space nearby so it isn't quite the lesser of evils of sidewalk vs treadmill. It's sidewalk to greenspace, and forget the other options.