Shuttle An35n Ultra 6 channel audio to Logitech z-640 speakers?

Melectricus

Feb 2, 2003
I installed a new Shuttle An35n Ultra with onboard 6channel audio in my computer and inherited my son's Logitech z-640 speakers. He did not have any manuals or adapters. I don't know how to hook the logitech plugs to the onboard ac97 jacks and have been struggling for two days and logitech site is no help.
Logitech plugs:
green - front
black - rear
orange - front and rear center

Shuttle jacks:
green - line out
blue - line in
pink- mic

I can only get 2 channel ( well, center works ) and not the rear. This is what works with only the green jack plugged in. I can't find any info if the mobo jacks are manually configurable; only speaker settings of 2, 4, 5 etc. I assume I'm missing an adapter or something else. Don't imagine you would leave 2 plugs hanging. Any help or direction for help would be appreciated.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I have the board but I am not at home right now to look in my book. I think you can go into the windows audio setup somewhere and changed the line in and mic ports to outs so that it will work with a 5.1 setup.

http://www.shuttle.com/index7_non.html
Look up the manual for that board and see if it says anything.

Melectricus

Feb 2, 2003
Tried the mobo manual and no help there. Couldn't find any way to configure the onboard sound jacks. Thanks tho... It seems so simple, but I can't find anything on searches to show me what to do..

moretoys

Nov 21, 2000
If it works like my MN31N, many ways of getting to the settings. I'll just list a couple here.
Running the Speaker setup Wizard in the nForce Control Panel is one way OR under the windows master volume window click the advanced button.
If you don't know how to get to these, open your control panel & then the NVidia nForce Control Panel. If you don't see this icon in your control panel, install the software for your board.
In the Speaker Setup tab of the nForce Control Panel you can run the Speaker Set Up wizard or in the Applications tab you can double click the sound volume icon.
Recommend the wizard as it will set up other options for you as well...

Good Luck!

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
You need to use the utility that comes with the sound driver to change the speaker outputs. On my nForce2 mobos, it does not install automatically, and has to be installed manually.

Then again, the FIC AU13 came with an A'73 bracket with the rear and subwoofer output on the bracket. Perhaps you need a bracket?

Melectricus

Feb 2, 2003
I do not have any software for this board, only the drivers disk. I looked online at nvidia and I wonder if I should download and install the unified drivers that include the nvidia audio control panel? I only have audio control panel in win xp and the advanced tab only sets up generic speaker setup. If anyone has an an35n did it come with audio software. I don't think it would be a problem to load the unified nforce drivers or would it? Thanks for the point towards the nvidia control...:beer:

moretoys

Nov 21, 2000
You should be ok to install the new drivers. If you want to be 'safe' you can always use the motherboard vendor drivers posted here
http://www.shuttle.com/hq/support/download/dwn2.asp?model=AN35/N Ultra & AN35/N-400
They aren't the newest however...

You shouldn't need a bracket unless you want to use the line in or mic jacks. There is a header on the board for seperate rear & center/sub outputs if you want to get a bracket or make one (there are no active components needed, just wires to 1/4 inch headphone jacks).

Later.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Even if you download and install the audio drivers from nvidia's web site, the audio control utility does not install - you need to install it manually. Unzip the unified drivers, and it will be in a folder called "AudioUtl". The sstray.exe can be copied to your hard drive and then run - there is a setting within it to automatically load it at windows startup. I use it instead of the standard volume control, and AFAIK it is the only way to control the audio outputs, since Windows default utility does not work.

The Z-640 speakers are 5.1 not 6 channel. It's 5 satellite speakers(2 front, 2 rear, 1 center), and 1 sub-woofer - get it, 5.1?

Melectricus

Feb 2, 2003
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3>Whoa, don't copy and paste from word.......................
I got the nvidia unified drivers exe file to load and can now access the jack configuration. Why shuttle doesn't have on disk I have no idea. I checked every connection and they are correct. The software settings seem ok, but I still have no sound on rear speakers for cd, game or dvd. I believe I have a hardware issue, or any final thoughts before I yank apart another computer or two for speakers and a 5.1 sound card?

Thank you everyone for the help excellent comments..............:)</FONT>

moretoys

Nov 21, 2000
Did you try the test tone in the nforce control panel? Check that you have the right speaker config set (6 speakers). You can also watch the level indicators to see if audio is being processed to go out on those channels.

Later...

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Alot of the games and all the DVD software players I have messed with sofar needed to be told I had a 5.1 speaker setup to use them.

Melectricus

Feb 2, 2003
I swear going out of my mind. Nothing I pull up related to sound is labeled "nvidia control panel'. I have a speaker icon in my task bar when right clicked shows 'adjust audio properties' or 'open volume control'. None of the sub-menus have a test feature. I can find no program anywhere on my computer you are referring to.

I checked my dvd properties and my only audio choices are surround or dolby and sound is same on eithor setting, games I tried had no config for speakers only quality, and all are on high.

In volume control advanced I can change line in and mic. Under adjust audio I can set to 5.1. I swear all external connections are correct. I did note something maybe strange, I was playing a audio cd and every time I opened any program like power dvd or even audio properties the sound got noticeably louder, when closed it returned to previous level. Never any sound on the rear speakers no matter what volume is set at in 'volume control' or on the Logitech external controls. Did note in 'volume control' that the mute boxes can't be checked for any of the speaker channels, only master.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Melectricus
I swear going out of my mind. Nothing I pull up related to sound is labeled "nvidia control panel'. I have a speaker icon in my task bar when right clicked shows 'adjust audio properties' or 'open volume control'. None of the sub-menus have a test feature. I can find no program anywhere on my computer you are referring to.

I checked my dvd properties and my only audio choices are surround or dolby and sound is same on eithor setting, games I tried had no config for speakers only quality, and all are on high.

In volume control advanced I can change line in and mic. Under adjust audio I can set to 5.1. I swear all external connections are correct. I did note something maybe strange, I was playing a audio cd and every time I opened any program like power dvd or even audio properties the sound got noticeably louder, when closed it returned to previous level. Never any sound on the rear speakers no matter what volume is set at in 'volume control' or on the Logitech external controls. Did note in 'volume control' that the mute boxes can't be checked for any of the speaker channels, only master.

Hello, did you not read this when I posted it before? The utility running in my tray is titled "nForce Tray Options", it's the sstray file I'm refering to:

"Even if you download and install the audio drivers from nvidia's web site, the audio control utility does not install - you need to install it manually. Unzip the unified drivers, and it will be in a folder called "AudioUtl". The sstray.exe can be copied to your hard drive and then run - there is a setting within it to automatically load it at windows startup. I use it instead of the standard volume control, and AFAIK it is the only way to control the audio outputs, since Windows default utility does not work."

Melectricus

Feb 2, 2003
<FONT face=Verdana size=1>pspada,

</FONT>
Trust me, I didn't ignore what you said, understanding may be my problem tho. My confusion is I said earlier that the unified drivers are an exe file. When the exe is executed it auto installs the drivers and apparently creates an nvidia folder on C drive that contains the audioutl and sstray.exe program. I tried to execute the exe file and I only get a brief screen flash and cannot find any change to the audio setup or config that I now think I should see. Your suggestion is appreciated, but there may still be something hosed somewhere preventing the display of nvidia audio controls. I'll try the other suggested program above. Thanks.

Melectricus

Feb 2, 2003
Well I did the speaker test and all 6 speakers work during the test, including the rear. I downloaded the Microsoft version of the speaker test and all work. Now the interesting part is only left and right front and bass work during games, dvd or audio cd. When I depress the 'matrix' button on the logitech control I get back the center speaker, but that's it, still no sound on the rear for anything except for a low buzz.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
Oh, sorry, I'm probably just too used to unziping executable files - I unzip the exe and manually install the parts I want. Assuming you have Winzip installed, right click on the exe and drag it to an open spot on your desktop. When you drop it the standard menu will appear, with the additional winzip options (usually in a submenu). One of them is "extract to here", the 2nd will extract to a folder with the same name as the original zip file. You can then find the audioutl folder within it.

moretoys

Nov 21, 2000
I'm not sure what version of drivers & os you have, however when I recently downladed driver 3.13 for my board the setup installed drivers & the nforce control panel application (shows as "nforce tray options" in the system tray, shortcut icons in the control panel & in Programs, nVidia Corporation, Soundstorm).
You may be best off (in my humble opinion) to download the new drivers from nVidia & update your current ones, if your still having difficulty. The nforce control panel would be installed & you would know all drivers & software match.
I personnaly always uninstall current drivers before installing any new ones, which can require a bunch of reboots & I never let the os use microsoft web searches for drivers. nVidia doesn't state to uninstall, so you probably don't need to (anyone have input on this?).
As a side note the nVidia IDE drivers will not work properly with my board which is a shuttle mn31n, so I would check to see if your IDE is using the nVidia one now or the Microsoft one (the install script asks if you want to use the nVidia one or not). Your chipset is newer than mine, so this may not be an issue for you.
Download full drivers for xp link (12.9 MB)
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_3.13

Also note what thedarkwolf stated about configuring dvd players & games to output the sound to the soundcard.

Later...

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
I install the drivers manually - to dump the IDE drivers as suggested ^. I'm not sure they work good on any nForce2 mobo, not just your's. But at least some versions of the drivers (or perhaps only on some mobos?) it does not install the utility correctly, and it has to be loaded manually.

Melectricus

Feb 2, 2003
Pspada, I can't get sstray.exe to execute. I downloaded again the 3.13 unified drivers (xp) unzipped as you suggested and I still only get a screen flash. Nothing else. After a while I did reinstall the drivers without uninstalling and the same result overwrote all files. NO nvidia control panel. .
Moretoys, fyi I don't use the Ide drivers and I'll probably have to uninstall everything and try again.

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
I'm not sure what you mean by the "screen flash" Is it when you double click on the sstray.exe file? Or are you running the setup program?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
The motherboard doesn't seem to use the MCP-T southbridge; just the MCP, so no Soundstorm. Will the nVidia drivers do the job here, or are the codec chip's drivers needed instead?

moretoys

Nov 21, 2000
I may be wrong (frequently), however I think the codec is secondary. From what I understand Soundstorm is more of a marketing term (with a few hardware requirements around # audio ports the board comes with & the minimum bit encoding the codec has to be capable of).
Maybe someone with more knowlege than me can jump in here...

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
the AN35 has no Soundstorm and in nice nvidia audio. it has a realtek codec. you need to go get the latest realtek codec drivers which have a control panel that let you setup 5.1. I had a AN35 for a week or two and its ok sound wise but its defenatly not Soundstorm