Show us your lowest IDLE temp on air!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: high
Mobo temp - 32.5 Diode temp - 33

Sorry excelsior, as much as I'm sure this is going to be a hit to your self esteem, YOU are wrong. Get a grip and don't accuse bud, you can't see my setup at all. Have you read anywhere that the 2500+ stock hsf is probably the best stocking hsf to be packaged?? So yeah I have exceptionally great temps but keep in mind that I'm in a 30 year old home in the basement with little - no insulation and it's decently chilly down here. But either way my system is nice and cool. :)

*sigh again* I truly do feel sorry for you, high. What you don't understand is that this isn't a hit to my self esteem, it is a hit to yours. You somehow think that with the stock heatisink/fan combo (I know the one with the barton is better, but nowhere near as good as my Sk7) that you are actually getting temps that low. How "chilly" is it down there? My room is 70-72F.

Edit: And if you think the temp on the inside of your 2500+ is somehow only .5C warmer than the Mobo temp, then I hope you never have children, because you'd be on the of the stupidest people I've had the displeasure of conversing with over the internet.

HEY! STOP TURNING THIS THREAD INTO YOUR OWN PRIVATE TEMP WAR

Keep it to PM's if you 'need' to argue the point all day and night.

I'll have this thread locked if you carry on.

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I can't believe it!!!! I just installed a ducting mod and changed some little things of place and this are the results:

CPU diode: 32C idle
Socket: 35C idle
Case: 23C

5C better on CPU!!!

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Originally posted by: high
Mobo temp - 32.5 Diode temp - 33

Sorry excelsior, as much as I'm sure this is going to be a hit to your self esteem, YOU are wrong. Get a grip and don't accuse bud, you can't see my setup at all. Have you read anywhere that the 2500+ stock hsf is probably the best stocking hsf to be packaged?? So yeah I have exceptionally great temps but keep in mind that I'm in a 30 year old home in the basement with little - no insulation and it's decently chilly down here. But either way my system is nice and cool. :)

*sigh again* I truly do feel sorry for you, high. What you don't understand is that this isn't a hit to my self esteem, it is a hit to yours. You somehow think that with the stock heatisink/fan combo (I know the one with the barton is better, but nowhere near as good as my Sk7) that you are actually getting temps that low. How "chilly" is it down there? My room is 70-72F.

Edit: And if you think the temp on the inside of your 2500+ is somehow only .5C warmer than the Mobo temp, then I hope you never have children, because you'd be on the of the stupidest people I've had the displeasure of conversing with over the internet.

HEY! STOP TURNING THIS THREAD INTO YOUR OWN PRIVATE TEMP WAR

Keep it to PM's if you 'need' to argue the point all day and night.

I'll have this thread locked if you carry on.

This isn't a temp war. Someone just doesn't understand that his temps aren't accurate. That's all.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
Umm..you are basically saying any temps can be correct but just measured in a different way or something. Thats wrong. His temps can't be that low with that setup, I don't care how good his case cooling is. Check any hardware board anywhere, or even the nforcershq board. They will tell you that his temp is wrong. I read diode temps too. My diode temps are 42-43 idle, socket is 38-39 idle.
No, basically I'm saying his temps COULD be accurate, but they could be being measured in an oddball place... it very well might be 32 C (or whatever he said) at a location on the socket. Is it's a true indication of the CPU temp? No. Is it wrong, maybe... maybe not.
My point is that unless you've verified it with some sort of temperature probe... or unless you can read from the thermal diode, the number you come up with isn't that important. What's important is that after the initial (and of course, proper) installation of the heatsink, you keep an eye on how temps fluctuate from the stock speed. If it says 25C at stock speeds, it may either be reading from a stange location that's cooler than the actual CPU, or it may not be calibrated correctly. So... base your "safe zones" on how much it rises from that. If it's supposedly 25C at idle right away, then you overclock it and it says 55C, I'd be VERY worried... however, if it says 45C at idle right away, and it goes up to 55 after overclocking, I'd say that's normal.

Jeff, I am not at ALL worried about how he installed his heatsink, or how safe his cpu is. I am just trying to explain to him that he is falsely thinking his temps are that good. They aren't. Simple as that. I know the " number" isn't that important, but he obviously thinks he has UBAR cooling, when he doesnt. That is what pisses me off.

een

Aug 12, 2003
If you think about it, there's no way that the temp difference of 'actual' cpu and mobo temp is less than 5C...

Look, CPU does a lot of work (50+million transistors) in a confined space, and of you got similar temps for your cpu and mobo it means that your mobo is working as hard as the cpu...

The placement of mobo temp sensor matters, but it still should be significantly lower than the cpu temp...

It's like comparing the temp in a car engine with the temp of the rest of the car...
And there's no way you could get a low 30C on-die or on socket cpu temp on an athlon 2500+ especially on a stock heatsink

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: een
If you think about it, there's no way that the temp difference of 'actual' cpu and mobo temp is less than 5C...

Look, CPU does a lot of work (50+million transistors) in a confined space, and of you got similar temps for your cpu and mobo it means that your mobo is working as hard as the cpu...

The placement of mobo temp sensor matters, but it still should be significantly lower than the cpu temp...

It's like comparing the temp in a car engine with the temp of the rest of the car...
And there's no way you could get a low 30C on-die or on socket cpu temp on an athlon 2500+ especially on a stock heatsink

EXACTLY. Thank you!

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
Its difficult to accurately compare temps between different motherboards, or even between the same motherboards with different bios versions. As mentioned above there is a drastic difference between socket and diode temperature readings. And then you have the calibration of the readings from both the socket and diode which vary greatly between manufacturers and bios releases.
The only accurate comparison is between identical motherboards with the same bios.
It is not possible with my motherboard to use windows software to read from the diode. So I don't look at my temps anymore. I've found that if my system is stable the temps are fine.

KF

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
57C, 30C mobo temp. Only a 27C rise.
Tbird 1400 (no pluses on Tbirds)

A 100% aluminum heatsink with a 60mm 5000rpm fan. I started up prime95 and it appears to be topping out at 64C. Turning on a fan that blows the hot air away from the CPU area drops it back down to 57 (mobo temp 25C.)

VSOP

Banned
May 28, 2003
Lowest on this my current rig was 28C with a p4 2.8c @ 3.5ghz stock cooling..
But it was freezing in my room.. around 57-62 degrees in my apt... it was 57 outside and I had all the windows open.. case temp was at 26-27C.. But this was the readings that Speed fan gave me using my DFI MB..

IQJUMPuw

Feb 6, 2002
Those of you who are disagreeing with Excelsior... i feel sorry for you guys. Excelsior is absolutely right. I have no freaking idea why you guys would want to lie about your temp to all these people. Is that what you do to feel better about yourselves? God, it's so pathetic. No matter WHAT you say, there's no way your axp 2500+ temp can be that low with stock hsf. I suggest you guys just come clean and confess... lol

anyways, here's mine. please check out the pictures and tell me which one is my REAL cpu temp.
http://students.washington.edu/inkoo/Forums/Computer/temps.jpg

CPU DIE: Reads the thermal diode temperature through I/O sensor.
ABS II: Reads the thermal diode temperature through IC LM90.
RT1: Detects the CPU external temperature.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I have T-Bred B 2000+ and SLK800 with 80mm 2500rpm fan

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: IQJUMPuw
Those of you who are disagreeing with Excelsior... i feel sorry for you guys. Excelsior is absolutely right. I have no freaking idea why you guys would want to lie about your temp to all these people. Is that what you do to feel better about yourselves? God, it's so pathetic. No matter WHAT you say, there's no way your axp 2500+ temp can be that low with stock hsf. I suggest you guys just come clean and confess... lol

anyways, here's mine. please check out the pictures and tell me which one is my REAL cpu temp.
http://students.washington.edu/inkoo/Forums/Computer/temps.jpg

CPU DIE: Reads the thermal diode temperature through I/O sensor.
ABS II: Reads the thermal diode temperature through IC LM90.
RT1: Detects the CPU external temperature.

Thanks guys!

EDIT: I have T-Bred B 2000+ and SLK800 with 80mm 2500rpm fan

Thanks for the support. Why is your 2500RPM fan only spinning at 1500 though?

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: IQJUMPuw
oh that's the antec 480w psu fan that's connected to the cpu 3-pin adopter... hehe

Ahh..was gonna say. What thermal compound are you using?

BTW, here is a screenshot of my temps @ Idle (well, playing mp3s). Yours sound right on the mone since you are running a whole .1v lower than I am.

Screenshot of my temps.

Evdawg

Aug 23, 2003
34C idle with fan on idle, using a TT volcano 11...... idle fan speed is somewhere around 2500 i think. if i were to put it on high i could prolly get around 30C.

NEVERwinter

Dec 24, 2001
1700+ @ 2000MHz/8RDA+ >> the lowest I got was 37C (during winter, hehehe....)
now it's around 40-45C

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
I run at 25 C. mobo, and 37 C. CPU. at idle. I run 42.5 C. cpu at full load, and heat soaked. The motherboard is always the same temp. It is all done reverse flow, CPU ducted through the side of the case, and no intake fans.

Two 80mm 38 CFM rear mounted ducted exhaust fans.
one 80 mm 42 CFM P/S fan.
One 80 mm 84 CFM reverse mounted, exhaust ducted CPU fan.
No intake fans.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Its not good to have all exhaust fans. It creates negative air pressure, thereby stagnant air in the case. Id might do you some good to have at least one good intake.

Ant001

Jul 30, 2003
IDLE:
30C CPU
24C Case

LOAD:
37C CPU
26-27 Case

This sounds a little low to me, but I'm not sure. I have 2x 80mm 39CFM intakes, 2x exhaust, 1x blowing onto my SLK-800, and an 80mm PSU fan. I'm running an XP2500+ @ 11x200 @ 1.7V on a NF7-S 2.0 with bios version 1.6. The temps are the same in MBM and BIOS. My room is in the basement and I live in New York, temps are around 60-65F. Anyone know if these temps are very far off? And if so, would updating my BIOS to whatever's latest give me more accurate results? I'm not worried about my temps; the HSF is just barely warm to the touch and I know it's mounted correctly. The air leaving the case is noticeably warmer than the air coming in.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Ant001
IDLE:
30C CPU
24C Case

LOAD:
37C CPU
26-27 Case

This sounds a little low to me, but I'm not sure. I have 2x 80mm 39CFM intakes, 2x exhaust, 1x blowing onto my SLK-800, and an 80mm PSU fan. I'm running an XP2500+ @ 11x200 @ 1.7V on a NF7-S 2.0 with bios version 1.6. The temps are the same in MBM and BIOS. My room is in the basement and I live in New York, temps are around 60-65F. Anyone know if these temps are very far off? And if so, would updating my BIOS to whatever's latest give me more accurate results? I'm not worried about my temps; the HSF is just barely warm to the touch and I know it's mounted correctly. The air leaving the case is noticeably warmer than the air coming in.

Well that is a pretty cold room and you seem to have good airflow. Id say they aren't TOO far off. But still add 5C at least.

xenos500

Jul 22, 2003
I dunno the deg. C conversion, but my celeron 2.0 sys (at home, not college) idles at 77 degreesF with retail HS/fan...