Show us your lowest IDLE temp on air!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MrEgo
Originally posted by: ICR5
2.4c@3.6GHz idle around 14c

2100+@2400Ghz idle around 27c

all on air and 6 fan cases :p

14C? That's 57 degrees F!
That would actually feel COLD if you touched it. I guess when you turn on the computer, the processor gets colder, unless your house temp is in the 20's, 30's or 40's...or the mobo seriously misreads the temp.

Well mine runs at absolute zero under full load.

On air? No way!

een

Aug 12, 2003
i really think that readings taken from different mobos can't be objectively compared...
Reasons:
1. different mobo have different way of measuring cpu temp... (on die, and something else I forgot... :) )
2. even the same mobo might have different bios version, for example: my ga-7400l1 with 2600+ was reporting the 'wrong' 39C full load on stock hsf, while a newer bios shows 61 full load temp running seti@home on stock hsf, which I really believe to be the proper temp.
3. even the same mobo with the same bios version might be inconsistent in form of faulty sensors, etc...
4. Sometimes people go: Oh I touched my hs and it's cool so it should be alrite, then it turns out after the cpu is burnt that they mounted the hs on the wrong orientation resulting in improper contact with the cpu hence it's cool...

The point is, the comparisons won't be on equal grounds...

high

Banned
Sep 14, 2003
Nah, my mobo isn't wrong. I think you're pretty wrong for being so pig headed and objective. Settle down buddy, just because your stuff cant touch my air temps isn't my problem :) I have excellent intake / exhaust and my fan is at 3800 rpm so yeah my CPU / Mobo temps are 100% correct, which is nice.

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
I have 11 fans in my case and a much better CPU HSF combo than yours, and my CPU temps are higher. Are you sure your mobo read temps ok?

high

Banned
Sep 14, 2003
Yep, been testing because I thought it was weird but it's 100% realtime. If I run Prime 95 it climbs quite nicely...I think the very hottest I have seen it is 47...which is a far cry from 33. Actually right now she's hummin @ 32.5 :) I just have 4 fans but I very cold cathod UV fan pointed right at my ram / northbridge, and my cpu van is exhausting into the rear 80 mm fan. I Havent touched voltage either which is a definite factor, and it used to run at 43c idle when I had my onboard audio enabled, so I disabled it and it dropped me 10C which is huge.

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
It could be sound. I'm using the onboard. :Q 10C !!!! Also my voltage is 1.75, not the stock 1,65
rolleye.gif

Edit: My socket idle is 37C, and full load 44C while Diode is 36-37C idle and 45 full load.

Dustswirl

May 30, 2002
Mc Arra<<< Socket Temps almost = DIODE temps>>> really good cooling! what's your PSU? and what case are you using?

high<<< Plz tell us your DIODE temp and your Socket Temps, your numbers are intresting if they are the diode temp

McArra

Diamond Member
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Dustswirl
Mc Arra<<< Socket Temps almost = DIODE temps>>> really good cooling! what's your PSU? and what case are you using?

high<<< Plz tell us your DIODE temp and your Socket Temps, your numbers are intresting if they are the diode temp

Thanks ;) . My PSU is an 400W Aglier (maybe her father knows it :D ) and the case is KASE or MAST brand.
Both are quite cheap, but i've been working hard to get a nice cooling and think I finally made it :)

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
You should also state what temp reading you're taking... a socket temp, or the diode temp? Makes a big difference.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: high
Nah, my mobo isn't wrong. I think you're pretty wrong for being so pig headed and objective. Settle down buddy, just because your stuff cant touch my air temps isn't my problem :) I have excellent intake / exhaust and my fan is at 3800 rpm so yeah my CPU / Mobo temps are 100% correct, which is nice.

No, it is wrong. Believe me. I don't care how good your air is, I have 4 80mm fans and an sk7 w/80mm fan and shinetsu and the lowest idle I get is 38 or so. 32.5 with a stock heatsink that has MUCH worse cooling capability than my sk7? I think not. Get a grip on reality, your temps are wrong.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Yep, been testing because I thought it was weird but it's 100% realtime. If I run Prime 95 it climbs quite nicely...I think the very hottest I have seen it is 47...which is a far cry from 33. Actually right now she's hummin @ 32.5 :) I just have 4 fans but I very cold cathod UV fan pointed right at my ram / northbridge, and my cpu van is exhausting into the rear 80 mm fan. I Havent touched voltage either which is a definite factor, and it used to run at 43c idle when I had my onboard audio enabled, so I disabled it and it dropped me 10C which is huge.

Of course it will climb, but it is climbing from the WRONG temperature. The fact that disabling lowered your temp by that much is fact enough that the board is giving you wrong temps.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
His temps aren't necessarily wrong... it's very possible to get those type of temps... depending on where you measure the temperature at. The only temps I care about are diode temps... but if your motherboard can't read the diode temp, it's safe to say the diode temp reading will be about 5 C above what the socket temp reading is. And that's also assuming the temp probe is calibrated correctly. To find out the accuracy of your socket reading, stick a temp probe into the center of your heatsink, from the side of course, and make sure it contacts the base of the heatsink, not just a fin. If that's the same as your socket reading, then I'd say your core temp is probably about 5 degrees C higher on average.

If you wanna get into a "cooling war" ... my XP2500 is running at 2.2 Ghz on 1.65 volts... I don't have idle temps right now because I'm running SETI@Home... but DIODE temps are fluctuating between 49 and 51 C. Socket temp says 43 C. Case temp is 21 C.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
His temps aren't necessarily wrong... it's very possible to get those type of temps... depending on where you measure the temperature at. The only temps I care about are diode temps... but if your motherboard can't read the diode temp, it's safe to say the diode temp reading will be about 5 C above what the socket temp reading is. And that's also assuming the temp probe is calibrated correctly. To find out the accuracy of your socket reading, stick a temp probe into the center of your heatsink, from the side of course, and make sure it contacts the base of the heatsink, not just a fin. If that's the same as your socket reading, then I'd say your core temp is probably about 5 degrees C higher on average.

If you wanna get into a "cooling war" ... my XP2500 is running at 2.2 Ghz on 1.65 volts... I don't have idle temps right now because I'm running SETI@Home... but DIODE temps are fluctuating between 49 and 51 C. Socket temp says 43 C. Case temp is 21 C.

Umm..you are basically saying any temps can be correct but just measured in a different way or something. Thats wrong. His temps can't be that low with that setup, I don't care how good his case cooling is. Check any hardware board anywhere, or even the nforcershq board. They will tell you that his temp is wrong. I read diode temps too. My diode temps are 42-43 idle, socket is 38-39 idle.

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: FFactory0x
2100+@2.3 11.5x200 5 case fans,ys tek, sk-7 CPU:1.74 Mem:2.77
idle: 32-34C
load: 38-39c

Motherboard? yet another temp that seems off. My voltage is .4v down from yours, same heatsink, 1 less case fan, yet your idle is somehow 5-7c cooler. The differnce between your idle and load is too small too.

FFactory0x

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2001
Was that intended for me???? How is that impossible??? Care to explain????
Its also fall around here and i have my window semi open with no heat on. Its nice and cool in my room. Do you want me to post pics
my MB is EPOX 8RDA+

Seriously though, if you put your hand on the back exhaust fans. You can feel the coo our coming out. Im going for 2.4-2.5ghz tonight

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: FFactory0x
Was that intended for me???? How is that impossible??? Care to explain????
Its also fall around here and i have my window semi open with no heat on. Its nice and cool in my room. Do you want me to post pics
my MB is EPOX 8RDA+

Seriously though, if you put your hand on the back exhaust fans. You can feel the coo our coming out. Im going for 2.4-2.5ghz tonight

Yes it was directed at you. This easily explains it. Epox doesn't provide readings from the diode built into the Athlon XP chip. Basically, add 7-10c to those temps and then youd be getting roughly what the ondie really is. Don't get so excited just cause the board says you have great temps. Hell, if it said the CPU temp was 25c would you believe it?

ICR5

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: ICR5
2.4c@3.6GHz idle around 14c

How freakin' cold is it in your house?

My pc room is 10x10 approx, and it has its own wall a/c unit running at 65f

my 2.4c has diode reading from my case and that's what it reads when idle.. 14c-18c.. Unless is not making a clean contact.. now my socket reading is at about 19c idle at the lowest... so what gives?

When i run 3d Mark it promptly goes up to about 30-34c.. believe me, i was just as supriced as you are :cool:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Barton core 2500+ @ 2.33 ghz

31.5 degrees celcius.

My den is in the basement.

Using an AX-7 for the heatsink with a vantec stealth.

high

Banned
Sep 14, 2003
Mobo temp - 32.5 Diode temp - 33

Sorry excelsior, as much as I'm sure this is going to be a hit to your self esteem, YOU are wrong. Get a grip and don't accuse bud, you can't see my setup at all. Have you read anywhere that the 2500+ stock hsf is probably the best stocking hsf to be packaged?? So yeah I have exceptionally great temps but keep in mind that I'm in a 30 year old home in the basement with little - no insulation and it's decently chilly down here. But either way my system is nice and cool. :)

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Mobo temp - 32.5 Diode temp - 33

Sorry excelsior, as much as I'm sure this is going to be a hit to your self esteem, YOU are wrong. Get a grip and don't accuse bud, you can't see my setup at all. Have you read anywhere that the 2500+ stock hsf is probably the best stocking hsf to be packaged?? So yeah I have exceptionally great temps but keep in mind that I'm in a 30 year old home in the basement with little - no insulation and it's decently chilly down here. But either way my system is nice and cool. :)

*sigh again* I truly do feel sorry for you, high. What you don't understand is that this isn't a hit to my self esteem, it is a hit to yours. You somehow think that with the stock heatisink/fan combo (I know the one with the barton is better, but nowhere near as good as my Sk7) that you are actually getting temps that low. How "chilly" is it down there? My room is 70-72F.

Edit: And if you think the temp on the inside of your 2500+ is somehow only .5C warmer than the Mobo temp, then I hope you never have children, because you'd be on the of the stupidest people I've had the displeasure of conversing with over the internet.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Umm..you are basically saying any temps can be correct but just measured in a different way or something. Thats wrong. His temps can't be that low with that setup, I don't care how good his case cooling is. Check any hardware board anywhere, or even the nforcershq board. They will tell you that his temp is wrong. I read diode temps too. My diode temps are 42-43 idle, socket is 38-39 idle.
No, basically I'm saying his temps COULD be accurate, but they could be being measured in an oddball place... it very well might be 32 C (or whatever he said) at a location on the socket. Is it's a true indication of the CPU temp? No. Is it wrong, maybe... maybe not.
My point is that unless you've verified it with some sort of temperature probe... or unless you can read from the thermal diode, the number you come up with isn't that important. What's important is that after the initial (and of course, proper) installation of the heatsink, you keep an eye on how temps fluctuate from the stock speed. If it says 25C at stock speeds, it may either be reading from a stange location that's cooler than the actual CPU, or it may not be calibrated correctly. So... base your "safe zones" on how much it rises from that. If it's supposedly 25C at idle right away, then you overclock it and it says 55C, I'd be VERY worried... however, if it says 45C at idle right away, and it goes up to 55 after overclocking, I'd say that's normal.

jar5tyle

Dec 24, 2001
Here are my idle temps :)

Idle Temps

My case came stock with a exaust fan on the side panel, I just recently flipped it around so now it blows right on my CPU, dropped my temps quite a bit :)

CPU: 29C
Mobo: 29C