Show off your desk thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
We're still remodelling the home office so our room is too messy to take pics of our new desks but here are the desks I built last week for the wife and I:

My Desk

Wife's Desk

I didn't buy the 2 drawer chest for my desk, but my wife got the entire set. It took 6 hours to put together. :( If this thread is still active in a few days I'll post pics of the actual desks.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
Nothing at all exciting about mine - desk

Older picture...There's more plants and art on the walls now

you have a dell! you suck :p j/k
nice desk tho :)

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: VanillaH

you have a dell! you suck :p j/k
nice desk tho :)
:)

I didn't have the time to get parts from 10 different manufacturers like I've done in the past...and I got a ridiculous deal on the Dell so figured I might as well

And thanks on the desk ;)...$62 shipped from OD :)

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Trygve, how hot is it in your computer room? Does the AC do a good job of keeping the temps down?

amol

Lifer
Jul 8, 2001

WOW!! It's actually . . . . CLEAN . . . and ORGANIZED!!

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Amol

Go find aphex's desk

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Amol

Yeah, it's still pretty neat...a couple more bills though :confused:

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Thin Lizzy
Originally posted by: nsafreak
I won't call you ghetto but frankly I can't see it being comfortable using either of those computers.

Btw here's mine.

Not used to using a Mac are you? :p

Well I don't run a Mac at home myself but I do have experience with them. The operating system, hardware, etc. is fine. However the way you would have to sit to use those computers looks uncomfortable to me.

Trygve

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Trygve, how hot is it in your computer room? Does the AC do a good job of keeping the temps down?

Don't have AC. if you mean the server room (Pic1 Pic2 -- sorry about getting in the way of the second pic; that's the most recent shot, but I'd taken that one because I was explaining what a chest-supported t-bar row machine was, and the "server room" is one end of the gym), that's kept cool with the "basement convection system" --air goes down the front staircase, cools as it winds through the basement, and then goes up the back staircase by the servers. The basement stays pretty cool, though by late summer it's definitely warming up.

Upstairs in the editing room, I have a portable swamp cooler. It gets warm up there when the weather is hot, but it's a lot cooler now with the LCD displays and newer, smaller computers than it used to be when I had the previous version with a 21" and two 20" CRT monitors, and the computers with four external racks of SCSI drives.

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
been posted before

few notes:
- mobile barton 2200+ is now replaced by mobile barton 2500+
- i now have 2gb of pc3200 ddr ram (e-penis == off the charts)
- will replace 9800se w/ 5900
- turtle died :(

imported_Lucifer

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Thin Lizzy
I won't call you ghetto but frankly I can't see it being comfortable using either of those computers.

Btw here's mine.

Not used to using a Mac are you? :p

Well I don't run a Mac at home myself but I do have experience with them. The operating system, hardware, etc. is fine. However the way you would have to sit to use those computers looks uncomfortable to me.

For the Powermac G4, yes, it is quite uncomfortable. Looking at the monitor kind of hurts my neck, and can be painful after sitting in front of it for so long. I have no chair, plus the table is so low, I have to sit on the ground. Good thing is, that my monitor is a 21'' monitor. :)

The eMac however, is on a real desk, not a table like the Powermac G4. The reason it probably looks uncomfortable is that I was on my knees when I took the pic. It is very comfortable. I have a nice chair too, so its not bad.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Hankerton
Originally posted by: Trygve
Originally posted by: NL5
Just a blatant excuse to show off my new desk I just finished building -

Desk 1

Desk 2

Let's see yours! :D

That's very cool--what all equipment do you have there? (I know I should recognize these things, but I don't always.)

Here's mine --obviously it's a lot more cluttered and messy.

OMG, what are you using all of that for? Awesome setup!!!

Looks like a decent gaming rig.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001

Don't have AC. if you mean the server room (Pic1 Pic2 -- sorry about getting in the way of the second pic; that's the most recent shot, but I'd taken that one because I was explaining what a chest-supported t-bar row machine was, and the "server room" is one end of the gym), that's kept cool with the "basement convection system" --air goes down the front staircase, cools as it winds through the basement, and then goes up the back staircase by the servers. The basement stays pretty cool, though by late summer it's definitely warming up.

Upstairs in the editing room, I have a portable swamp cooler. It gets warm up there when the weather is hot, but it's a lot cooler now with the LCD displays and newer, smaller computers than it used to be when I had the previous version with a 21" and two 20" CRT monitors, and the computers with four external racks of SCSI drives.

With all the equipment do you work alone or do you work with other people ?

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Nik

I refuse to believe that the ridiculous desk image posted by Trygve is actually his and will continue to refuse to believe until I see a new image of him sitting at the desk holding a sign that says "Yes, Nik, this is my desk."

Here you go.

(It's not a particularly *good* picture, but it is a picture.)

Nik = Own3d!!!

Trygve

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2001

With all the equipment do you work alone or do you work with other people ?

I'm the only one here--so when someone needs to kick the servers, that's me (day or night). There are other locations where other people work--one that has the grip-and-electric equipment and cameras and most of the shipping gets done from there, another that has the stunt and FX gear, and a training facility where we do stunt and martial arts practice.

Of course, if it's on a movie set, I'm working with a whole lot of people, some from our team, but mostly not. When you make a movie, it's like building a whole company in the space of a few weeks, making everybody work erratic and absurdly long hours, moving them around a lot, and then shutting it down and letting everybody but the upper management go.

Pretty much just like working for a dot-com. ;)