Should the 17th Amendment be repealed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: StinkyPinky
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I'de certainly like to see the 14th amendment re-worked and perhaps clarified, esspecially the first section:

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The children of immigrants should be citizens of the country of origin UNLESS the parents specifically apply for citizenship for the child. This should automatically be granted so long as the parents are BOTH legal immigrants, naturalized or native citizens. Should any one parent be an illegal immigrant, the application for citizenship should be denied.

Sounds like a lot of paper work for no reason whatsoever.

For NO REASON? It would put a stop to "anchor babies" and the illegals collecting welfare because of those "citizens."

Originally posted by: Craig234

The change we need to make to the 14th amendment is to limit it to actual people, not let corporations get rights as phony 'people' to use their wealth to corrupt politics.

You've certainly got my vote Craig.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
I still don't quite get your point, unless you think that "States" are somehow corporeal entities distinct from their citizenry.

the states are separate institutions distinct from their citizenry. and now there is no one at the federal level specifically to defend the states, saying 'hey, this is going to blow a hole in our budget.'

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No Confidence Voting.

I think that the people should not elect the congressmen or representatives. However, I think they should have the opportunity to have a vote on whether to get rid of whoever is appointed or even voted in. This way if the stupid primary system keeps giving you the same losers to vote for, you can get rid of them and remove them from the ballot at the beginning of the Primaries. This should go for judges and all other appointed officials. A good old vote of "No Confidence"!

I am also for term limits for all Federal positions like Supreme Court, and Congress and Reps.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ElFenix
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
I still don't quite get your point, unless you think that "States" are somehow corporeal entities distinct from their citizenry.

the states are separate institutions distinct from their citizenry. and now there is no one at the federal level specifically to defend the states, saying 'hey, this is going to blow a hole in our budget.'

And the state governments are supposed to represent the interests of their people, same as the senators are. I see no particular reason to have one house of Congress represent the people and another represent the state legislatures specifically.