Should Obama lie more?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
If obama wants to get really dirty he should do the same rove trick... start a whisper campaign that McCain is fuckin nuts. Then Obama needs to go on the offensive a bit until mccain blows a gasket and the media starts giving the theory credence..

So sad, now that bush is going away, I can appreciate that brilliantly dirty campaign from 2000 :)

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: Fern
-snip-
So, the question isn't if Obama should lie at all, but if he should lie much more and much larger.

What lies do you recommend?

Fern

From a tactical standpoint the article had some good ideas. Painting McCain as an insane warmonger probably would get people to believe things they are already predisposed to think about him anyway. People probably wouldn't like the idea of McCain going to war with Iran and/or Russia.

I don't really want to discuss specific lies though, just the question of whether or not Obama should begin these sorts of smears, considering the complete disregard for the truth that McCain has been displaying. Again, what is more important winning or principle? I for one would probably go with winning.

Well that explains your position. In your own words you are no better than McCain. You advocate winning at all costs. You don't seem to care what it takes to win yet you talk bad about McCain for doing whatever it takes to win. But I guess it's OK to lie and cheat and use dirty tactics as long as YOU win.

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: sandorski
-snip-
So, the question isn't if Obama should lie at all, but if he should lie much more and much larger.

What lies do you recommend?

Fern

McCain has a Black Baby.

I thought the point was lies, not stealing Bush's campaign material. ;)

I'm very curious about what lies in specifics. I think that might be difficult to pull-off since McCain has been around so long, run for POTUS before and is well known.

Otherwise, the Dems look to be pretty crappy at lying. It ain't for lack of trying, they tried it mightily with *Palin the Unknown* but came away with nothing good to show for it.

Fern

Well I think the "lies" McCain and company have touted were harder for the public to find out about, where as Obama's lies were pretty obvious. Like his parents coming together because of the Civil rights movement in Selma Al. even though he was born before that. Or his grandfather liberating Aushwitz, even though the Russians did that. Or the 57 states we seem to have(more of a miss speak but if you want to be president, I think it's important to know what states you will be president of).

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Obama's campaign should just hammer on the past 7+ years of the record of the Republicans in the White House. That's the best reason in the world I can think of for not giving them another 4 years to continue with their failed policies. If it doesn't work then the blame is on those who are stupid enough to vote for Republicans this time, not Obama.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Obama's campaign should just hammer on the past 7+ years of the record of the Republicans in the White House. That's the best reason in the world I can think of for not giving them another 4 years to continue with their failed policies. If it doesn't work then the blame is on those who are stupid enough to vote for Republicans this time, not Obama.

I'd agree. Stooping to lying and distorting to try and score points could work, but it could backfire tremendously and has long run bad consequences. Hammering on the "do you want another 4 years with a republican after the 8 you just saw" would seem a lot more effective.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Double Trouble
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

I'd agree. Stooping to lying and distorting to try and score points could work, but it could backfire tremendously and has long run bad consequences. Hammering on the "do you want another 4 years with a republican after the 8 you just saw" would seem a lot more effective.

Yeah lying and deceiving is what the Republicans need to do because if they talked about the issues and the past 7+ years the American People would see how bad they are.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
Obama will get bombarded with Wright and Ayers ads if he goes after McCain and Palin's record too much.

Obama should never have been nominated. Tough luck Democrats.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
The Democrats have more of a Conscience. So it seems anyway, Republicans don't care, anything can be done as long as Power is achieved. As soon as Democrats begin getting shady though, Democrats begin jumping ship and turning on their own Party.

Oh yes, because Hillary Clinton definitely has a conscience. :roll:

Ironically enough, the Democrats are mostly running off of "faith" in Obama, while the Republicans are saying McCain is the more "logical" choice. Interesting switch no?

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
"Should Obama lie more?"

I don't think he can. While it's perfectly acceptable to vote many times for the same people in the same election in Chicago, I'm pretty sure the top limit on lies is still 100% of the time ... so he has nowhere to go.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Nope the reason I like Obama is because he has not stooped to McCain's level in this campaign. That's why I'm voting for him because I legitimately believe he is the kind of person who can bring about a change to the way we do things in this country.

He really doesn't need to attack or lie about anything. The Republicans have given him more than enough ammunition.

I'm not worried though. Right now the media is obsessed with Palin and hurricanes, when the campaign gets closer and the debates come the topic will inevitably shift back (AS IT ALWAYS DOES) to the top of the ticket and what they plan on doing to fix this country. And that is where Obama will win, McCain cannot debate him on anything. And America should see that. And the polls will start to shift back to what they were.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Nope the reason I like Obama is because he has not stooped to McCain's level in this campaign. That's why I'm voting for him because I legitimately believe he is the kind of person who can bring about a change to the way we do things in this country.

He really doesn't need to attack or lie about anything. The Republicans have given him more than enough ammunition.

I'm not worried though. Right now the media is obsessed with Palin and hurricanes, when the campaign gets closer and the debates come the topic will inevitably shift back (AS IT ALWAYS DOES) to the top of the ticket and what they plan on doing to fix this country. And that is where Obama will win, McCain cannot debate him on anything. And America should see that. And the polls will start to shift back to what they were.

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/still_ad/

Change we can believe in! :thumbsup:

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
honestly anyone who promotes lying in a campaign is a piece of crap and should just stop posting now

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: TechAZ
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/still_ad/

Change we can believe in! :thumbsup:

Name one thing that was wrong in that ad.

1.) John McCain can't use a computer - TRUE
2.) John McCain favors tax cuts for corporations - TRUE

Nice try.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: irishScott
The Democrats have more of a Conscience. So it seems anyway, Republicans don't care, anything can be done as long as Power is achieved. As soon as Democrats begin getting shady though, Democrats begin jumping ship and turning on their own Party.

Oh yes, because Hillary Clinton definitely has a conscience. :roll:

Ironically enough, the Democrats are mostly running off of "faith" in Obama, while the Republicans are saying McCain is the more "logical" choice. Interesting switch no?

She Lost, didn't she? Obama ran the more honest/positive campaign and Won. Roll your eyes, but your example just supports my point.