Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
would u eat there if so
cmon $2bucks full meal is tough to beat
get some chocolate milk
some noodles and pizza
trayyyyyyys :>
they could have seperate lunch times
its a dumb idea but sucks u can want school lunch but really cant have it unless faculty/kid

Reactions: brianmanahan

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
dude, have you eaten a school cafeteria lately? It's not much better than when you were in school.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
and he wouldn't be charged $2. i go every now and then and eat with my kids at school (while they are young enough to like that!) and i get charged $5.

but its not bad. they make lunch every day in the building.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Anybody had turkey slop? I wonder if this was a Massachusetts thing.

About once a month or so, our HS had this 'turkey slop'. It's basically turkey dark & white meat with creamy gravy. It comes with stuffing, corn, and rolls.

Everytime this meal is announced, we would have a FEAST. And the immediately classes after lunch would be a snoozefest.

Reactions: brianmanahan

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
...something always bugged me about those 'pizza squares' that fit perfectly in the tray rectangles

Kreon

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2006

About once a month or so, our HS had this 'turkey slop'. It's basically turkey dark & white meat with creamy gravy. It comes with stuffing, corn, and rolls.

Everytime this meal is announced, we would have a FEAST. And the immediately classes after lunch would be a snoozefest.

We had it in NH.

It was, without a doubt, my favorite meal in school. It even beat out the pizza (which our lunch ladies cooked perfectly, no burnt ones).

...something always bugged me about those 'pizza squares' that fit perfectly in the tray rectangles

This is the pizza to which I refer. I loved those too.

Honestly, in high school, I just loved food. I'd eat constantly. I can't do that anymore, or I get fat :(

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Meh, I grew up on cafeteria food. We didn't have the fancy choices that some schools got. You either brought a lunch or ate what was given to you in the line.

I'm fine, wasn't fat growing up or in my teenage years. Wasn't malnourished. It's all about how lazy you let your kid be.

I'd probably eat it if I were near one and it was open to the public.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
We had it in NH.

It was, without a doubt, my favorite meal in school. It even beat out the pizza (which our lunch ladies cooked perfectly, no burnt ones).

This is the pizza to which I refer. I loved those too.

Honestly, in high school, I just loved food. I'd eat constantly. I can't do that anymore, or I get fat :(

NH for sure. I'm wondering if they had this outside of New England.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
The food in our high school cafeteria was awesome. I swear they had the best french fries I've ever had, and they had those hexagonal taco pizzas that I've never been able to find since :(

They even made real mashed potatoes, fresh salads, cook to order burgers...all for $1.25 (this was the late 80's).

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I liked school food for the most part. If I could get it for $2, I'd probably eat there a couple times per week, especially for thanksgiving lunch.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

yeah my kids school has it. one of t he few meals i have tried. it was actually good. my kids love it. only thing they like better is the schools pizza.

When we had pizza in school it covered the rectangle and went over the fruit etc.

My kids school is the same. the slice is huge! its also pretty good (if you get the cheese one). the kids are allowed only two and only if they eat everything on the try!

but her school has 100 students so they make everything fresh and its good.

only thing they hate is the "beefy nachos" both kids say it sucks.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Ugh, I remembered their 'pizza'. The crust was dried up and tough as hell. Their 'cheese' lumped up together and had the texture of a half-dried playdough.

It was $1.60 or something back then for a slice ('97). Also came with equally atrocious side of salad.

At $1.60, it was the most expensive item in the cafeteria. You could spend the same and get a full tray of meal at other lines. They also never quite filled you up.

This is why Turkey Slop day was a god send.

crabbyman

Jul 24, 2002
I lived for the pizza squares and the salad with vinegarette!

In fact..I go to my wife's work (school teacher) just to have the pizza lunch every once in a while.

crabbyman

Jul 24, 2002
Also...Obama's admin changed the food regs (of course) and it required the pizza to be changed from normal "white" dough to some kind of wheat/whole grain dough which changes the flavor quite a bit.

crabbyman

Jul 24, 2002
Ugh, I remembered their 'pizza'. The crust was dried up and tough as hell. Their 'cheese' lumped up together and had the texture of a half-dried playdough.

It was $1.60 or something back then for a slice ('97). Also came with equally atrocious side of salad.

At $1.60, it was the most expensive item in the cafeteria. You could spend the same and get a full tray of meal at other lines. They also never quite filled you up.

This is why Turkey Slop day was a god send.

Lol..funny how you commented at the same time as me but had the exact opposite reaction to the pizza/salad combo that I did.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
K-12 should probably be open to the gen pub in general. Lots of folks seem to need the occasional refresher.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
The pizza squares were decent, but I have been searching for my favorite pizza memory as a child. The hexagon mexican pizzas. I can't find these anywhere. I know they will be complete crap, but I just want to experience them again.

Does anybody remember? The cheese was orange-ish, the flavors were... different. That's about all I can say.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Is it weird I don't remember if I ate the school lunch more often than not?

I know I did at least on occasion but I can't remember if it was my regular. I think it was.

No idea what I paid and I don't remember the food. Very weird because I graduated in 2002, not like it was forever ago.

Senior year I went to two high schools and I'm 99% sure I never bought lunch from the schools then because I would drive myself to the 2nd school and take some friends to lunch. Even when we didn't do that I don't remember how I ate.

Very weird.