Should I lie about smoking pot?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GundamW

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2000
Originally posted by: nkgreen
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Wouldn't it be grand if we didn't live in a world where something as insignificant as this wouldn't even be an issue...

I know. :(

:roll:
It's only insignificant if you are honest and don't lie about it.
If you lie and they found out, it will be significant to them that you lied in the form.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: GundamW
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Wouldn't it be grand if we didn't live in a world where something as insignificant as this wouldn't even be an issue...

I know. :(

:roll:
It's only insignificant if you are honest and don't lie about it.
If you lie and they found out, it will be significant to them that you lied in the form.

That's what I wanted to know.

Thanks for the help, to those that offered it. :beer:

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Farang
There are better sources than me on this but even hair tests can only go back so far. I believe they usually only test enough to go back 6 months or so, if you wanted to be safe just cut your hair to 2" length.

I'm bald. :D

They'll take your armpit hair. I did some treatment to my hair that involved vinegar, Tide detergent, and zit cream, only to the hair on my head.. then when I get to the testing place, they say my hair is too short and I get my armpits shaved.

I failed.. but because I smoked in Amsterdam, 3 months prior.. the job was for Expedia, would've thought they encouraged their employees to travel and see the local culture. Not only did I not get the job I lost my armpit hair.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
This reminds me of last week. I had to fill out a security clearance form for some work I am doing and had to meet with a Federal Agent to go over the application. One part of the questioning got to Countries I've been in the last 7 (or maybe 10 I forget) years and they had to ask about 10 questions about each one of my trips. One of them was Amsterdam and one of the questions was about doing any "illegal" activities whether you were caught or not. I of course answered truthfully because I didn't do anything illegal (no matter what countries laws you are going by) but they did keep asking my questions about my vists to the United Arab Emirates and my people I have frequent contact there (which happen to be co-workers in our Dubai office).

edit: spelling

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
There are better sources than me on this but even hair tests can only go back so far. I believe they usually only test enough to go back 6 months or so, if you wanted to be safe just cut your hair to 2" length.

I'm bald. :D

They'll take your armpit hair. I did some treatment to my hair that involved vinegar, Tide detergent, and zit cream, only to the hair on my head.. then when I get to the testing place, they say my hair is too short and I get my armpits shaved.

I failed.. but because I smoked in Amsterdam, 3 months prior.. the job was for Expedia, would've thought they encouraged their employees to travel and see the local culture. Not only did I not get the job I lost my armpit hair.

lol, owned.

jaybert

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2001
The question asks if I've done any drugs in the past 7 years or since I was 16. The last time I smoked was about 13 months ago. So, for Secret security clearance, do they do just a urine test, or something that goes back a lot longer, like a hair folicle test?

i didnt read the rest of this thread, but depending on the level of clearance, you may be required to take a polygraph. if so, in the test they will ask you each question, and 'other than what you've answered on the form...have you ever....?"

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If it's a high-level clearance - they may dig deep into your background and interview people who may have done it with you. I would be honest.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
The question asks if I've done any drugs in the past 7 years or since I was 16. The last time I smoked was about 13 months ago. So, for Secret security clearance, do they do just a urine test, or something that goes back a lot longer, like a hair folicle test?

how long is your hair ?

the typical term i've heard for a hair drug test is 6
months.

it depends a lot on where they cut the hair from.
if they cut it from the base, that's hair recently produced.

the urine test, nominal term i've heard is, 30 days
residues can last, although sometimes they disappear
or become im-measure-able sooner.

if you really want to 'destroy the evidence', you could shave
your head. of course, then they might ask why you shaved
your head.

there's probably people in the organization that have inhaled
and disclosed it on their forms.

i don't think infrequent marijuana use is seen as a sin in
security situations. it's really more a question of 'how you
handle it'.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No ... while admitting to smoking pot once over over a year ago may still create some problems for you, getting caught in a lie will almost certainly result in serious trouble.

Especially now that you've posted this thread which wasn't very smart.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
"Have you taken any illegal drugs within the last 10 years?"

"No." <red light flashes>

"Have you lied on any questions on your SF-86 application about past drug use?"

"Do you intend to lie about anything asked during this polygraph?"

If you lie they will find out about it. You can't beat a lie detector over the span of several questions. Besides, they will ask people who know you and if anything doesn't match up you'll be forced to come up with new lies to cover up the previous ones.

As an aside.... they may also ask if you belong to any social networking sites or internet chat forums such as this, and since you have to say "yes" they can find out more info about you that way too.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Should you lie? It depends. Are you applying for security clearance to work in a police evidence locker?

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Yep I work gov and have TS myself. They are not looking for bad things as much as they are looking to see if you are honest.

ding ding ding! We have a winner!

I had friend who went into MI with me who got a TS/SBI clearance even though she admitted to doing drugs in the past. They did a background investigation and they weren't surprised by what information turned up. Because she was honest, she got her clearance. Had she lied, she'd not have gotten it.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
The hypocrisy of drug testing pisses me off. Smoke a little ganja and you're screwed. Alcoholic? No problem! Does either have any effect on your job performance? Only if you let them.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Lying for a clearance. Just the type of person that needs one. :roll:

Exactly...

If you're even considering lying, I don't think you should get the clearance. But hey, that's just me.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Secret clearance is no biggie, I'd absolutely come clean. I doubt it'll have too much effect on things.

dbk

Lifer
Apr 23, 2004
Where's the line though? Just marijuana? What else can you have done in the past and get away with?

JDub02

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2002
Honesty is the best policy on a clearance form. They're trying to see how trustworthy you are. They don't care too much that you've tried pot. They're more interested to know if you've told the truth and are not doing it now.

If they can't trust you to tell the truth about some pot, how can they trust you with classified material.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Just do what Bush did, say you won't talk about anything that happened more than 12 months ago.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
from the experiance of someone really close to me...

he checked the box yes, but in the interview, they asked him about the pot until he said no. they then moved on to other questions.

but i personally would be honest.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: DawsonsDada
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Should I lie about smoking pot?
Yes, unless you want them to trash your clearance request immediately.

I would say that your response is and EPIC FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing about lying is that if you tell one, you have to tell more to keep the original one you started with. <<Tell the TRUTH from the beginning.

I used to be one of the people that processed the clearances and did the investigations for security clearances. If I, and most everyone else I worked with, even THOUGHT you were lying about something on the questionare we did two things IMMEDIATELY.

1. Rejected an interim with cause.
2. Notified the investigators to specifically search for information about the subject matter in question.

99.9% of the time our reservations about the applicant were correct.

If you are honest the first time, it is easier to get a clearance, regardless of what you have done that it is to get one by lying about something that WILL be found out. If you lie to begin with and you are found out you face Federal charges for falsification of information.

So, do the investigators have their sense of humor surgically removed or what?

i call shens....what do you do...."Hello Officer Barbrady, I have an applicant here I believe is lying about doing drugs in the past...you should come down and tase him."

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: JLee
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Lying for a clearance. Just the type of person that needs one. :roll:

Exactly...

If you're even considering lying, I don't think you should get the clearance. But hey, that's just me.

Or someone that is dumb enough to ask whether he/she should lie on a public internet forum.
I am going to take a guess that his personal email is nkgreen@yahoo.com
Do a search on google for nkgreen

A monkey could do that, imagine how much deeper they dig?

OP = fail