Should I lie about smoking pot?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I know several people who admitted to smoking pot before joining the military when they submitted for their Secret and they all got it (though a few had to go in for additional questioning).

One guy said he didn't, and then later it came out that he had. He didn't get his clearance and, because it is needed to be an officer, failed to get his commission.

Take that for what you will. I go for truth.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
dont lie. using pot once isn't a deal breaker for any level of clearance. however, lying on a from you sign swearing you are telling the truth is.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: buck
Originally posted by: JLee
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Lying for a clearance. Just the type of person that needs one. :roll:

Exactly...

If you're even considering lying, I don't think you should get the clearance. But hey, that's just me.

Or someone that is dumb enough to ask whether he/she should lie on a public internet forum.
I am going to take a guess that his personal email is nkgreen@yahoo.com
Do a search on google for nkgreen

A monkey could do that, imagine how much deeper they dig?

OP = fail

Damn you are a regular Sherlock Holmes. Unfortunately it's doubtful the OP is using something at the interview that would tie him back to either of that.

YOU GO BOY!

RgrPark

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2000
"They" probably linked your real name and address to your anandtech forum name already. you're doomed from the get go for posting it here.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: JLee
Originally posted by: biggestmuff
Lying for a clearance. Just the type of person that needs one. :roll:

Exactly...

If you're even considering lying, I don't think you should get the clearance. But hey, that's just me.

Or someone that is dumb enough to ask whether he/she should lie on a public internet forum.
I am going to take a guess that his personal email is nkgreen@yahoo.com
Do a search on google for nkgreen

A monkey could do that, imagine how much deeper they dig?

OP = fail

Damn you are a regular Sherlock Holmes. Unfortunately it's doubtful the OP is using something at the interview that would tie him back to either of that.

YOU GO BOY!

Like his school email address? (Which happens to be "nkgreen@xx.xxx")
Good thing you don't do screening.:confused:

edited

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
If you were smart enough to read the thread, you would of known that I was planning the truth anyway. How does seeing this make any difference then?

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
Well Kirby Green from Tuscaloosa, AL who is applying for a security clearance job. A quick background check should easily pull up this post and the information contained within to you admitting to smoking pot .

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006
Originally posted by: venkman
Well Kirby Green from Tuscaloosa, AL who is applying for a security clearance job. A quick background check should easily pull up this post and the information contained within to you admitting to smoking pot .

....Did you read the post above yours? It's not like your the only person on the internet who knows who I am.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: G Wizard
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: nkgreen
The question asks if I've done any drugs in the past 7 years or since I was 16. The last time I smoked was about 13 months ago. So, for Secret security clearance, do they do just a urine test, or something that goes back a lot longer, like a hair folicle test?

I wouldn't be asking these sort of questions on a public forum. PS: Truth is what you can prove.

qft
double qft

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
If you were smart enough to read the thread, you would of known that I was planning the truth anyway. How does seeing this make any difference then?

I am smart enough to read the thread topic titled "Should I lie about smoking pot?"
and posts like "I was thinking about telling the truth, I just needed some support."

Chances are that they will just reject you based on you being an idiot.

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006

I am smart enough to read the thread topic titled "Should I lie about smoking pot?"
and posts like "I was thinking about telling the truth, I just needed some support."

How am I an idiot for wanting to know if I'm going to get clearance with prior marijuana use?

Originally posted by: nakedfrog
*sigh*

You've been a member of ATOT for 2 years now, shouldn't you have seen this coming? ;)

:laugh:

*sniffle* The guys at TFNN don't pick on me as much.

:p

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000

How am I an idiot for wanting to know if I'm going to get clearance with prior marijuana use?

Thats not why you are an idiot, you are an idiot for asking "if you should lie about smoking pot on a security clearance form" on a public forum on the internet. Especially with a username like you have, i mean even a moron (or alkemyst) can figure out how to find this post. It took 30 seconds to find your school email address....
Come on man, use your head....

Kirby

Lifer
Apr 10, 2006

Thats not why you are an idiot, you are an idiot for asking "if you should lie about smoking pot on a security clearance form" on a public forum on the internet. Especially with a username like you have, i mean even a moron (or alkemyst) can figure out how to find this post. It took 30 seconds to find your school email address....
Come on man, use your head....

Background Checker Guy 1: "I see that on some forum he asked if he should tell the truth about smoking pot."

Backgroudn Checker Guy 2: "Well, he did put down that he did smoke a couple times. So I guess he told the truth."

Background Checker Guy 1: "Ok. That's fine. Did you see the secretary down the hall with the huge cans?"

nonameo

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2006
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Originally posted by: G Wizard
Originally posted by: halik
The question asks if I've done any drugs in the past 7 years or since I was 16. The last time I smoked was about 13 months ago. So, for Secret security clearance, do they do just a urine test, or something that goes back a lot longer, like a hair folicle test?

I wouldn't be asking these sort of questions on a public forum. PS: Truth is what you can prove.

qft
double qft

Falcon TTTRUUUUTHHH!!!

Show me your moves!

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004

....Did you read the post above yours? It's not like your the only person on the internet who knows who I am.

you could always ask the moderators to delete this thread, it would be a reasonable request seeing as some twats have posted personal info like your email address in this thread, which seems like crossing the line of decent forum behaviour to me

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: aidanjm

you could always ask the moderators to delete this thread, it would be a reasonable request seeing as some twats have posted personal info like your email address in this thread, which seems like crossing the line of decent forum behaviour to me

Even an idiot like you could find it. I did edit it so you wouldn't get your panties in a knot. :)