Should I jump to Chrome from Firefox?

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I have been using FF for years, but have been getting more and more curious about Chrome. The only extensions I use in FF are adblock plus.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Not to threadcrap, but really, how can we tell you which browser you should use? Isn't that a bit like asking about shampoo or engine oil? Try it; you don't have to give up FF. You can run both and decide which fits your interweb style best.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I'm a regular FF user. I use Chrome for a couple of specific websites and there are too many things I don't like about it that I would never change full time.

it's up to each individual to make their own decision, but mine is to stay with FF.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I don't like Chrome at all. Lately my time's been divided between Opera and Firefox. Opera seems to work better with a marginal wifi signal. It's like flying an airplane getting all the options setup, but it has a lot of customization built in. It also works great as a portable app since since it can do the work of several different applications, so it saves space.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
I don't like Chrome at all. Lately my time's been divided between Opera and Firefox. Opera seems to work better with a marginal wifi signal. It's like flying an airplane getting all the options setup, but it has a lot of customization built in. It also works great as a portable app since since it can do the work of several different applications, so it saves space.
Definitely like Opera more than Chrome. I haven't used Opera in a long while though. Might have to run an update and give it a shot.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
I did the jump about 1.5 years ago and never looked back. Will consider getting back to FF once FF7 is final.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Is there a way to get around ALL video adds in Chrome like in FF? That is the only thing I hated about the browser.

boochi

May 21, 2011
Chrome has serious memory leak issues dealing with sites with a lot of flash content.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Stay with FF. Chrome can be insidiously pervasive and really screw up your links and add-ons when it installs without permission and takes over as primary browser. Damn near had to reinstall to get rid of it!

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Their both basically the same. and chrome has adblock plus now, every browser should come with it imo. i went from FF from years of use to Chrome and both are very similar

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
Chrome will start faster, but that's pretty much a moot point if you're using a solid state disk. Chrome does not offer the same capability when it comes to plugins. I don't really see the point in using Chrome instead of FF to be completely honest.

I tried it, but went back shortly after. Tried IE9, tried Opera. Meh. There's really no reason to abandon FF at this point.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Stay with FF. Chrome can be insidiously pervasive and really screw up your links and add-ons when it installs without permission and takes over as primary browser. Damn near had to reinstall to get rid of it!

How did you get it installed without permission? I never had it screw up anything when it was set as primary, but IE is now on my work VM since I need IE more there.

One thing I really love about Chrome though is the preferences sync. I just do a new install, put in my Gmail credentials in the sync preferences and it sets up that browser exactly like all my other Chrome installs, even across multiple OSes.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Chrome will start faster, but that's pretty much a moot point if you're using a solid state disk. Chrome does not offer the same capability when it comes to plugins. I don't really see the point in using Chrome instead of FF to be completely honest.

I tried it, but went back shortly after. Tried IE9, tried Opera. Meh. There's really no reason to abandon FF at this point.

I like Chrome addons infinitely more than FF addons... so it's personal preference.

I could not go back to Firefox come hell or high water.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Chrome has tons of ported FF plugins now. i have all the same plugins in chrome now that i had in FF. didnt used to be the case but its come a long way.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I don't think it does extensions and themes but there may be another way of doing that?

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
How did you get it installed without permission? .

It came as a result of a sneak screen when updating Flash. My screen font size prevented the opt out box from showing, and it installed Chrome, and Chrome proceeded to make itself king and destroyed all my links.

The fix was a quick switch to my reserve HDD - and then clone it to the Chrome corrupted one.

It was a pure and simple PITA! The sneaking in under another program update is nasty, and Chrome will never again darken my door no matter how good it is.

ArtShapiro

May 6, 2011
I have been using FF for years, but have been getting more and more curious about Chrome. The only extensions I use in FF are adblock plus.
I originally found Chrome to be quite disappointing, but like the more recent versions so much that I've made it my primary browser. I think having the eight most-frequently-referenced sites as clickable page views on the home page is even better than the bookmarks bar. And the one area for entering either a URL or a search term is delightfully reasonable.

What I don't like is that the AdBlock add-on is less effective than Firefox's. One apparently can't block a whole directory of ads by using the * as the last node, which is always one of the choices with Firefox.

Chrome strikes me as a somewhat crisper and more-responsive browser these days. They're both good, and have a lot of advantages over IE.

Art

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
It came as a result of a sneak screen when updating Flash. My screen font size prevented the opt out box from showing, and it installed Chrome, and Chrome proceeded to make itself king and destroyed all my links.

The fix was a quick switch to my reserve HDD - and then clone it to the Chrome corrupted one.

It was a pure and simple PITA! The sneaking in under another program update is nasty, and Chrome will never again darken my door no matter how good it is.

I still don't get what you mean by "sneak screen when updating Flash". And IME Chrome does the same as other browsers, meaning it doesn't take over anything and set itself up as default unless you click the button upon first running it.

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
That's the point - the buttons were not visible due to display parameters. What I mean is this - I was in process of updating Flash -yes, yes (buttons) and then Google Chrome was installed - no choice of mine. And, ENTER caused it to install.

I now know better - and change the screen DPI before updating Flash or anything else with ties to Google. :)