Should I go to college out-of-state?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Google "Famous College Dropouts". I find it odd I have to explain this since many of these stories are very infamous.
I'm literally talking about today's top richest men in America. They literally control all the wealth. Not talking about previous or in general famous people. Why can't you refute that and stay on topic?

Gates. Buffet. Musk. Bezos. Zuck. Google bros.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Out of the top 7 richest men in America, 6 went to top universities. The only one that didn't? A walmart heir, Jim Walton. All the self-made guys? Top Universities

Jeff Bezos$193.8
Elon Musk$191.8
Mark Zuckerberg$101.3
Warren Buffet$87.6
Jim Walton$67.5
Michael Bloomberg$54.9
Phil Knight and Family$51.7

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
What boggles my mind is people who end up with like 6 figure debt. To me, after like 10k in debt and still no job, I would be questioning what I'm doing, and looking at another direction. Do people just keep taking all these random courses hoping they get some magical job offer or something? I just don't get it. To me, pick a program, stick with it, finish it, then start applying for jobs. Don't just stay in school because you don't know what to do with yourself.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
What boggles my mind is people who end up with like 6 figure debt. To me, after like 10k in debt and still no job, I would be questioning what I'm doing, and looking at another direction. Do people just keep taking all these random courses hoping they get some magical job offer or something? I just don't get it. To me, pick a program, stick with it, finish it, then start applying for jobs. Don't just stay in school because you don't know what to do with yourself.
Doesn't work that way when kids don't have the experiences to know what they can be successful at. Comp sci was the big new deal in the early 80's so the wife that direction. Nope, her brain doesn't work that way regardless of how smart she is. Ended up being a licensed therapist. And it was cheaper for me to marry her than to keep paying for sessions.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Cuz there is quiet "for-profit" motive for creditors in edumacation but the kids are raised as if it's the Eucharist and thus the experience itself is so important money don't matter. The value of the intangibles(and partying and getting laid) is like the word used to end Mastercard commercials: priceless.
Now, it is in certain situations, typically with schools of particularly high prestige that will increase your pay and access, that is true but many of roads are "overpriced".

Dec 10, 2005
Also, nearly everyone in this thread is ignorant of one very common reality that exists in...every university in this country: out of state tuition only counts for one year. Every fucking place has conditions for earning in-state residency for tuition purposes in a maximum of one year time. So, yeah...most people here are idiots.
That is not true. For instance, MA requires you to be a resident for 7 years before you qualify for in-state tuition. Other states might require some form of financial independence.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
You don't pay extra out of state tuition cost with private schools. So which is why I would only consider private schools if I was considering out of state.

And lol at @s0me0nesmind1 thinking Stanford is equal to state school. I would send my daughter to Stanford before any Ivy.

Reactions: snoopy7548