Should I go to college out-of-state?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
Here, the teachers catch it from admin, parents and little shits in their room. We have a serious shortage...good and well deserved.
Yup, and demand remains consistent because everyone expects their kids to be educated. Either way, problem will naturally solve itself.

To be quite honest, requiring a 4 year to teach students 4th grade math is quite comical. They would be better served with a degree in psychology vs. math or education.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Great, so you clearly have no idea of the costs and implications that come with going to an out of state school apparently.
My sister went to NYU in 94. It was 25k a year then, room and board. It's more than double that now. I keep track. However if one has the financial means to go to certain schools, it can totally be worth it. To say never go to an out of state school as a blanket statement is just wrong.

Reactions: Brainonska511

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
OP is not going to listen to anything you say. Let him/her think they're the center of the universe. Making mistake is part of growing up and living. I went out of state for college and it was likely the wrong move. But you know what? I would do it again. Maybe I should've gone to Wharton instead. There will always be what if about the path not taken and whether you would've been better or worse off.

My daughter chose to stay in state for college, and I 100% support her. She's saving me lot of money.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Great, so you clearly have no idea of the costs and implications that come with going to an out of state school apparently.

It really depends on the state, though. Live in Alabama? Might wanna check out of state schools. Live in Massachusetts? You'd be an idiot to go out of state.

Nov 8, 2012
My sister went to NYU in 94. It was 25k a year then, room and board. It's more than double that now. I keep track. However if one has the financial means to go to certain schools, it can totally be worth it. To say never go to an out of state school as a blanket statement is just wrong.
I didn't say it as a blanket statement. I said it specifically in relation to not having scholarships - as a means of obviously making up the difference of in-state at minimal - and presuming the in state isn't giving any as well.

Regardless, outside of Ivy League schools, every school is a dime a dozen. A piece of paper is a piece of paper...

And even for ivy league, it's more about connections than anything else, similar to career advancement in general.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I didn't say it as a blanket statement. I said it specifically in relation to not having scholarships - as a means of obviously making up the difference of in-state at minimal - and presuming the in state isn't giving any as well.

Regardless, outside of Ivy League schools, every school is a dime a dozen. A piece of paper is a piece of paper...

And even for ivy league, it's more about connections than anything else, similar to career advancement in general.
There are more top end schools than just the 8 ivy leagues. It's just a league. I mean Stanford, MIT, Georgetown, university of chicago, NYU, numerous Cali state schools, Duke, northwestern, chapel hill, carnegie mellon, etc. None in the ivy league. Etc.. All really top notch.

I mean if you just want to teach in a local public school and want the best bang for your buck, go to the best state school you can. It all depends on what you want to do and what money you have available to you.

I think my life might have turned out differently if I went to a higher end university vs an average state school. In a good way. For various reasons. For others it would have made no difference.

Richest guys btw. Gates, Bezos, Musk, Buffet, Zuckerberg, the Google guys. All went to top schools. Obviously the guys are brilliant in general, but I guarantee their exposure and interactions with those also on a high level in a regular basis at top schools also furthered their advancements via their ideas. Being surrounded by excellence incubates ideas and success. It's not the only thing, but the odds get much higher.

Are the prices nuts? Yes. That's a whole other discussion. But if you can afford it, do it.

Nov 8, 2012
There are more top end schools than just the 8 ivy leagues. It's just a league. I mean Stanford, MIT, Georgetown, university of chicago, NYU, numerous Cali state schools, Duke, northwestern, chapel hill, carnegie mellon, etc. None in the ivy league. Etc.. All really top notch.

I mean if you just want to teach in a local public school and want the best bang for your buck, go to the best state school you can. It all depends on what you want to do and what money you have available to you.

I think my life might have turned out differently if I went to a higher end university vs an average state school. In a good way. For various reasons. For others it would have made no difference.

Richest guys btw. Gates, Bezos, Musk, Buffet, Zuckerberg, the Google guys. All went to top schools. Obviously the guys are brilliant in general, but I guarantee their exposure and interactions with those also on a high level in a regular basis at top schools also furthered their advancements via their ideas. Being surrounded by excellence incubates ideas and success. It's not the only thing, but the odds get much higher.

Are the prices nuts? Yes. That's a whole other discussion. But if you can afford it, do it.

The irony is many top dollar rich guys dropped out lol. Thus defeating any point you intended.

MIT I will give you - the others are no different than any other state university. Your interviewing skills will be far more substantial than having those names on your degree windmill paper.

Nov 8, 2012
It really depends on the state, though. Live in Alabama? Might wanna check out of state schools. Live in Massachusetts? You'd be an idiot to go out of state.
Really, Alabama Tide is really that horrible of a school academically to the point of quadrupling your costs potentially?

Again, unless the out of state school is THAT notable, it won't make a difference In anything other than your debt load. I guarantee it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yup, and demand remains consistent because everyone expects their kids to be educated. Either way, problem will naturally solve itself.

To be quite honest, requiring a 4 year to teach students 4th grade math is quite comical. They would be better served with a degree in psychology vs. math or education.

eh, whatever degree any teacher earns in this country, it's worth more and requires vastly more skill and talent than whatever shit was crapped out to lump unto your vacant, untalented person..

....just speaking from experience.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
OP is not going to listen to anything you say. Let him/her think they're the center of the universe. Making mistake is part of growing up and living. I went out of state for college and it was likely the wrong move. But you know what? I would do it again. Maybe I should've gone to Wharton instead. There will always be what if about the path not taken and whether you would've been better or worse off.

My daughter chose to stay in state for college, and I 100% support her. She's saving me lot of money.

out of home matters more than out of state. I think...many people in this country still don't reflect on the vastness of this country and opportunity. I guess if you live in an unpopulated state, then maybe out of state still means something. So, yes, maybe you have to do that, but out of home is what matters more.

Many states offer great opportunities for in-state resident tuition, and some have massive systems that work well for all sorts of students (Still: it is vastly, unconscionably more expensive now than it ever should be, even compared to 15 years ago. It's insane).

Also, nearly everyone in this thread is ignorant of one very common reality that exists in...every university in this country: out of state tuition only counts for one year. Every fucking place has conditions for earning in-state residency for tuition purposes in a maximum of one year time. So, yeah...most people here are idiots.

I mean, look at where we're posting! :D

Nov 8, 2012
eh, whatever degree any teacher earns in this country, it's worth more and requires vastly more skill and talent than whatever shit was crapped out to lump unto your vacant, untalented person..

....just speaking from experience.
Meh, just from the teachers I've seen - I can't say that they have much skill.

Then there is the whole part of them banging away at 10 year old boys... Christ, can't even keep your affairs to legal ages.

We have so many people worthlessly wasting their time through classes that I honestly don't have a problem saying that teaching is another sector that simply having a piece of paper doesn't mean you're skillful in the profession.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
The irony is many top dollar rich guys dropped out lol. Thus defeating any point you intended.

MIT I will give you - the others are no different than any other state university. Your interviewing skills will be far more substantial than having those names on your degree windmill paper.

vast ignorance encountered. move along.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Meh, just from the teachers I've seen - I can't say that they have much skill.

Then there is the whole part of them banging away at 10 year old boys... Christ, can't even keep your affairs to legal ages.

We have so many people worthlessly wasting their time through classes that I honestly don't have a problem saying that teaching is another sector that simply having a piece of paper doesn't mean you're skillful in the profession.

you're an idiot, though. A lot of this has to do with how you hate when people (everyone) is smarter than you, so you have no idea how to properly judge the intelligence and value of others.

Also, the argument stands that you are a product of what created you. So, it's certainly possible that you are as dumb as we know you to be because you only experienced the worst that this country has to offer.

I mean, it's either/or.

Nov 8, 2012
Also, nearly everyone in this thread is ignorant of one very common reality that exists in...every university in this country: out of state tuition only counts for one year. Every fucking place has conditions for earning in-state residency for tuition purposes in a maximum of one year time. So, yeah...most people here are idiots.

Indeed there are mostly idiots here ;)

While residency requirements do vary from state-to-state (and sometimes even from college-to-college within a state), it is universally pretty impossible to pay in-state tuition anywhere simply because you've spent a year (or more) in college in that state or have worked there for a year

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
If I had planned out picking a college in hindsight, I'd either have strategized to get to Michigan at all costs because they had the best marching band anthem or I would have planned to get in-state residency before going to UC Santa Barbara because...Jim Rome.

Instead, my bungling many-interests self wound up staying in the stale state of Maryland in its in-state university.

Back in high school, there was a substitute teacher who stated the her daughter had decided at least 2 or 3 years before on a college and established her in-state residency well before 18.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Indeed there are mostly idiots here ;)

eh, I don't understand that comment about in-state tuition from out-of-staters, or where it is sourced--haven't seen it posted in this thread (yeah, I skimmed); but anyway, it definitely doesn't reflect what I have seen.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

All those guys I posted I googled where there degrees where from, not where they attended school. So I'm guessing they actually have those degrees.

Nevertheless if you want to say the education at Stanford or NYU or any of the other schools I named, for starters, is the same as any old state school, of which there are many many average ones, that's just insanely dumb.

Or do you think very successful people are dumb? Because most of them send their kids to those type of schools, and it doesn't equate to success, but as a ratio of who does become the most successful, it definitely tilts the odds. It's part of what helps maintain disparity in the country too, but that's another story. I mean networking and access to people is such a huge part of success, and those are the institutions where that happens on a more regular basis.

Again. The very top of the richest men in America. All elite schools. Coincidence?

Nov 8, 2012
eh, I don't understand that comment about in-state tuition from out-of-staters, or where it is sourced--haven't seen it posted in this thread (yeah, I skimmed); but anyway, it definitely doesn't reflect what I have seen.
States aren't stupid just like any other tax related scenarios. Simply sleeping in a state for a year doesn't mean your money and residency is there and are thus obligated to provide state tuition funds to you.

Nov 8, 2012
All those guys I posted I googled where there degrees where from, not where they attended school. So I'm guessing they actually have those degrees.

Nevertheless if you want to say the education at Stanford or NYU or any of the other schools I named, for starters, is the same as any old state school, of which there are many many average ones, that's just insanely dumb.

Or do you think very successful people are dumb? Because most of them send their kids to those type of schools, and it doesn't equate to success, but as a ratio of who does become the most successful, it definitely tilts the odds. It's part of what helps maintain disparity in the country too, but that's another story. I mean networking and access to people is such a huge part of success, and those are the institutions where that happens on a more regular basis.

Again. The very top of the richest men in America. All elite schools. Coincidence?
Google "Famous College Dropouts". I find it odd I have to explain this since many of these stories are very infamous.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
out of home matters more than out of state. I think...many people in this country still don't reflect on the vastness of this country and opportunity. I guess if you live in an unpopulated state, then maybe out of state still means something. So, yes, maybe you have to do that, but out of home is what matters more.

Many states offer great opportunities for in-state resident tuition, and some have massive systems that work well for all sorts of students (Still: it is vastly, unconscionably more expensive now than it ever should be, even compared to 15 years ago. It's insane).

That one part may...or may NOT be true. It's not in California...

There are four requirements you must fulfill in order to be a California resident for purposes of tuition at UC. All these requirements must be met by the residence determination date (generally the first day of classes) of the term for which you request a resident classification.

1. Physical presence
You must be continuously physically present in California for more than one year (366 days) immediately prior to the residence determination date of the term for which you request resident status. If you moved to California primarily to attend the University of California, you are here for educational purposes and may not be eligible for a resident classification for purposes of tuition.

Read the full policy on physical presence (pdf)

2. Intent to remain in California
You must establish your intent to make California your home one year prior to the residence determination date of the term for which you request resident status.

Read the full policy on intent to remain in California (pdf)

3. Financial independence
If you’re an unmarried undergraduate under the age of 24 and your parent(s) are not California residents, you must be able to verify financial independence for the two full years immediately preceding the term you wish to enroll. Graduate students are presumed to be financially independent unless they were claimed as a dependent on their parents' federal tax return for the most recent tax year.

Read the full policy on financial independence (pdf)

4. Immigration status
You must have the legal ability to establish a permanent domicile in the United States, meaning that you must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or hold a valid, qualifying nonimmigrant visa.

Obviously, every state has its own residency requirements, but moving to a state to attend a university there may NOT qualify the student for residency for the purposes of in-state tuition.