should I be paying for vpns? do the free ones work fine?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
When you are using a VPN and you launch your browser it will go to that site and confirm there are no DNS leaks.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
When you are using a VPN and you launch your browser it will go to that site and confirm there are no DNS leaks.

i ran it while connected to my free vpn.
it back back with 2 ip ranges, both owned by google.

173.194.98.xxx
74.125.74.xx

is this good or bad?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Post a screen shot. Don't worry about the exposed IP if it's Google. I have only seen one IP shown. If the results don't show your location your golden.

Is that with the extended test?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Post a screen shot. Don't worry about the exposed IP if it's Google. I have only seen one IP shown. If the results don't show your location your golden.

Is that with the extended test?

yes... and all show a non-US country

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
Get $5 a month vps. Install OpenVPN Access Server(Full gui, very easy to setup).

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
thx.. couldn't decide between pia and torguard.
torguard it is

Since I use my VPN to post on a few forums I've been banned from, I'll just live with it. If I were to use the VPN for more nefarious purposes then I'd probably look into it further.

I think it's somewhat easily fixable, taken from the link I posted:

The Easy Way: Disable WebRTC In Your Browser

Chrome, Firefox, and Opera (and browsers based on them) generally have WebRTC enabled by default. Safari and Internet Explorer don't, and thus aren't affected (unless you've specifically enabled WebRTC.) Either way, if the test above worked in your browser, you're affected. You can always switch to a browser that doesn't have WebRTC enabled, but since most of us like the browsers we use, here's what to do:

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
The vpns I recommend (in China now using one):

Astrill
Witopia
strongvpn

Astrill has the best and most user friendly client including being easy to install on DD-WRT routers.

Michael

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
for those considering PIA or torguard, they currently have sales for $32 and $30 a year respectively.

who?

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2012
I'm using the Hotspot Shield VPN so that even if I accidently use some other motel guests hotspot my activity will be encrypted.

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
I feel like even the paid ones don't work. Seems like it can be unmasked. So now I just use phone data. Get a new IP everytime

Jerem

May 25, 2014
Trying out HideMyAss right now and the lag is horrible. Glad I only signed up for a month. I guess nobody mentioned them cause everyone but me knew they suck.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
I use a vpn when so called tech nerds in USA call themselves hackers and they build a website that is hosted in the USA but denies all Americans to view their sites then I use VPN to act like I am in China or germany to loop back into USA to view their sites.

These lame hackers attend hacker forums and hack groups that are also visited by the CIA,FBI and the secret service randomly. You can tell who they are by how clean cut they are then the group gets all choked up.

I never shut up about hacking because I no longer hack but reminisce about the good old days of hacking to just get high score on your favorite game.