should I be paying for vpns? do the free ones work fine?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Thoughts?

If you are using a VPN to stay anonymous on the internet than no, free ones do not work. They keep logs of who registers and when you connect and they freely hand it to the feds every time they ask.

Most paid ones do the same.

A couple are hosted in countries who say FU to the FBI and those are the ones you want.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I also have been using them for just over eight months and they are great, no complaints.. A buddy and I split the cost since you can use with multiple devices..

What kind of latency and throughput do you guys see? My only complaint with the service so far has been the high latency. I know using the VPN is going to inherently increase the latency because of the extra hops but it's a VERY noticeable increase, especially when gaming.

Also, using the desktop clients or a router config? All the threads on their "forum" about performance is usually people doing it at the router level rather than using the client.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Mostly. I'm using one right now. Sometimes they're slow and sometimes they're difficult to connect to, but yes, they work. It just depends on what your expectations are. Why do you think you need one?

What free VPN are you using?

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
I have been using it for over a year and I highly recommend it. I have had zero problems with it and I have my Unraid server connecting to it everytime it starts.

Also, up to 5 devices can use the same account...so, its awesome.

Aren't all PIA servers in USA though?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Thoughts?

I used the free one, endorced by the Bay.
no riaa/dcma requests yet from the movie studios..

ive been using it for over a yr.

definitely not hosted in the US

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I read one of the best ones is PIA VPN
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Never used it.

NO! I'm using it now and it's shit! Fisrt the client thrashes on your hard drive, second sometimes you can't even make a connection to a server. Now I'm using OpenVPN with the PIA credentials and it only uses Blowfish 128 for encryption. I can't even connect to some server with OpenVPN too! When my plan is up I'm checking out VPN.AC recommended by some people on the PIA forums. https://vpn.ac/

BTW, VPN.AC's client is stand along. No install needed. Torrent traffic can only be used on the Euro servers though which sucks.

Here's a list of VPNs. https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-services-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2014-edition-140315/

I used to use a free VPN, but I couldn't use torrents with it and would have to change the password on a weekly basis from their site which sucked.

If you get a VPN. Pay with bitcoin or gift card if they allow it. Use a free VPN or proxy and create a E-mail address for just the VPN. That's what I done. Total autonomy.

PIA is also blacklisted on some forums and sites.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Is there any reason to not just tunnel your data through an SSH tunnel to a server you control?

I run a low traffic site on a $5 VPS with a 100Mbit connection. I figure it can spare a little bandwidth for me to run my traffic through it.

SSH is slow and not meant for Internet traffic only server commands. But I do have a SSH server built into the router.

Last edited:

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
What kind of latency and throughput do you guys see? My only complaint with the service so far has been the high latency. I know using the VPN is going to inherently increase the latency because of the extra hops but it's a VERY noticeable increase, especially when gaming.

Also, using the desktop clients or a router config? All the threads on their "forum" about performance is usually people doing it at the router level rather than using the client.

I don't use it for gaming so I haven't really noticed any latency issues. I can do a quick speed test and compare.

97 ping with it on and 19 with it off.

I use the desktop client. I don't want to do my whole network that way I can isolate issues easily if its my network or the VPN.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
If you use OpenVPN and want to log in with your username and password automatically do the following.

1) In the Programs Files under OpenVPN find the config folder and create a text file called pass.txt. Inside the text folder add your username on the first line and password on the second line. Save and close.

2) Add this line to the .ovpn config files.
Code:
auth-user-pass pass.txt
Then the connection will point to the pass.txt file for the username and password.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
NO! I'm using it now and it's shit! Fisrt the client thrashes on your hard drive, second sometimes you can't even make a connection to a server. Now I'm using OpenVPN with the PIA credentials and it only uses Blowfish 128 for encryption. I can't even connect to some server with OpenVPN too! When my plan is up I'm checking out VPN.AC recommended by some people on the PIA forums. https://vpn.ac/

BTW, VPN.AC's client is stand along. No install needed. Torrent traffic can only be used on the Euro servers though which sucks.

Here's a list of VPNs. https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-services-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2014-edition-140315/
PIA is also blacklisted on some forums and sites.

I can't say I've noticed the client "thrashing" my drive. I definitely haven't had any issues connecting to their servers. US-West, US-CA, or US-TX. Haven't had any issues with blacklisted IP's on West or CA, occasionally on TX though. But that's going to be a concern with any proxy.

Not allowing Torrent traffic automatically removes a provider from my list personally.

I don't use it for gaming so I haven't really noticed any latency issues. I can do a quick speed test and compare.

97 ping with it on and 19 with it off.

I use the desktop client. I don't want to do my whole network that way I can isolate issues easily if its my network or the VPN.

Yeah, we have way more than 5 devices on our network and I don't want to have to count on certain people remembering to turn it on before doing something stupid. It's easily enough to isolate. Turn interface off, are you still having issues?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I can't say I've noticed the client "thrashing" my drive. I definitely haven't had any issues connecting to their servers. US-West, US-CA, or US-TX. Haven't had any issues with blacklisted IP's on West or CA, occasionally on TX though. But that's going to be a concern with any proxy.

Watch the hard drive light while the PIA client is running. Other people including me noticed the thrashing. https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/discussion/3029/rubyw-exe-drive-writes

I use SSDs so this is a huge concern for me.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I've seen your other posts, you're a smart guy. We can be more technical then this. I've read that link and do you know what I see? A bunch of people who have never looked at their hard drive activity before reading that thread and most haven't actually looked to see what's causing the activity even after posting in that thread. Here's my system right now, with PIA connected and no running applications besides Chrome.

Capture.PNG

Yep, sure enough, PIA's client is writing 40kb/s. Usually less (20kb/s), occasionally more. But what's this? Chrome is writing 318kb/s while sitting there doing literally nothing. Fresh Chrome session, the only thing open is the tab with this reply in it and that's after turning off Chrome's option to keep running the background. Open Firefox and let it sit at Google.com, there's another 100kb/s. Have any applications that keep themselves updated? That's going to be writing too. Have Steam? You're going to freak out when you realize how much data it's typically writing due to updates. Use a chat program? That's probably logging too. God forbid you're using Outlook in a Corporate environment.

The reason that stands out is because you're looking at a computer that's doing basically nothing at the time. Open up some browser tabs, maybe download some updates. That 40kb/s is going to get lost in a hurry. Let's look at the big picture here. You posted your crystaldiskinfo over in Memory and Storage recently of your "old" GSkill Sniper. My current main SSD has a higher write per day average by almost 30%, so let's stick with yours to make PIA look as bad as possible.

Your drive has been powered on for 676 days and in that time written 5.81TB of data. That's roughly 8.59Gb of data a day. Let's go absolute worst case here. Let's assume PIA logging is running high at 40kb/s and you leave it on and connected every waking second of the day. That's 3.45Gb a day. That's not insubstantial, however you're at 5.81TB after going on 2 years of power on time. Assuming the above worst case of PIA being on and connected 24x7 at the above constant 40kb/s, that would put you at 7.31TB after 2 years instead of 5.81TB.

A quick search didn't turn up the write endurance for your GSkill, but the economical MX100 is rated for 71TB. That's almost 20 years of writes even factoring in worst case PIA usage. I've got almost 70 drives in my house (Spindles + SSDs) between desktops, laptops, tablets, and servers and not a single one is anywhere near 10 years old nor do I expect to have any of them after 10 years. That thread is people making mountains out of a mole hill.

Then there's people saying it's "bringing their system to it's knees". They're either full of shit, or they have something seriously wrong with their system. Would I prefer it use less? Sure. I'd also prefer Chrome use way less resources. But I'm not going to stop using Chrome because it might be shaving a few months off my SSD's life. Not to mention if it's still a concern after considering those numbers, don't install it on an SSD. Use an internal spindle, or an SD card, or shared storage, or a RAM disk, or better yet, don't leave it running 24x7. It takes 10 seconds to boot a system running off a decent SSD. There's no shortage of ways of reducing or eliminating that write usage.

Last edited:

Kneedragger

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2013
I've seen your other posts, you're a smart guy. We can be more technical then this. I've read that link and do you know what I see? A bunch of people who have never looked at their hard drive activity before reading that thread and most haven't actually looked to see what's causing the activity even after posting in that thread. Here's my system right now, with PIA connected and no running applications besides Chrome.

Capture.PNG

Yep, sure enough, PIA's client is writing 40kb/s. Usually less (20kb/s), occasionally more. But what's this? Chrome is writing 318kb/s while sitting there doing literally nothing. Fresh Chrome session, the only thing open is the tab with this reply in it and that's after turning off Chrome's option to keep running the background. Open Firefox and let it sit at Google.com, there's another 100kb/s. Have any applications that keep themselves updated? That's going to be writing too. Have Steam? You're going to freak out when you realize how much data it's typically writing due to updates. Use a chat program? That's probably logging too. God forbid you're using Outlook in a Corporate environment.

The reason that stands out is because you're looking at a computer that's doing basically nothing at the time. Open up some browser tabs, maybe download some updates. That 40kb/s is going to get lost in a hurry. Let's look at the big picture here. You posted your crystaldiskinfo over in Memory and Storage recently of your "old" GSkill Sniper. My current main SSD has a higher write per day average by almost 30%, so let's stick with yours to make PIA look as bad as possible.

Your drive has been powered on for 676 days and in that time written 5.81TB of data. That's roughly 8.59Gb of data a day. Let's go absolute worst case here. Let's assume PIA logging is running high at 40kb/s and you leave it on and connected every waking second of the day. That's 3.45Gb a day. That's not insubstantial, however you're at 5.81TB after going on 2 years of power on time. Assuming the above worst case of PIA being on and connected 24x7 at the above constant 40kb/s, that would put you at 7.31TB after 2 years instead of 5.81TB.

A quick search didn't turn up the write endurance for your GSkill, but the economical MX100 is rated for 71TB. That's almost 20 years of writes even factoring in worst case PIA usage. I've got almost 70 drives in my house (Spindles + SSDs) between desktops, laptops, tablets, and servers and not a single one is anywhere near 10 years old nor do I expect to have any of them after 10 years. That thread is people making mountains out of a mole hill.

Then there's people saying it's "bringing their system to it's knees". They're either full of shit, or they have something seriously wrong with their system. Would I prefer it use less? Sure. I'd also prefer Chrome use way less resources. But I'm not going to stop using Chrome because it might be shaving a few months off my SSD's life. Not to mention if it's still a concern after considering those numbers, don't install it on an SSD. Use an internal spindle, or an SD card, or shared storage, or a RAM disk, or better yet, don't leave it running 24x7. It takes 10 seconds to boot a system running off a decent SSD. There's no shortage of ways of reducing or eliminating that write usage.
Fuck! ;) kidding aside.. I bet a lot of those people are also folding haha.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012

Capture.PNG

I'm using Pale Moon and there is no hard drive activity light flickering like a mother fucker. When I used the Ruby client it was constantly flickering. I wouldn't trust Google witha ten foot pole.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
I'm using Pale Moon and there is no hard drive activity light flickering like a mother fucker. When I used the Ruby client it was constantly flickering. I wouldn't trust Google witha ten foot pole.

So is your problem with it the writing itself, which I just explained shouldn't be a concern, or the fact that the light is blinking? There's a solution for that too.

I have no problem if you're happier with a different service. Nor if you're capable of setting it up either with a different client or on your router. To that end however, the reason I have the client installed is because it's performance when setup on my pfSense router was less than spectacular. Most routers don't have the CPU power to handle the encryption well.

I just don't see the disk activity PIA's logging creates as being an actual issue. I honestly didn't even notice until you brought it up in this thread. It certainly hasn't had any sort of noticeable affect on my computer usage and I'm definitely not going to lose any sleep over it.