Should I add 5 lbs or try to do more reps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
Is it normal to be about 10%-20% weaker on a daily 500 calorie deficit depending on the exercise? I lost 2 reps (used to be between 5-7 reps but now it's 3-5 reps with 185 lbs) on my bench press and I'm much weaker on my barbell rows (135 lbs feels like 165 lbs for the same reps).
You might be confusing cal def with lack of protein. If you are not consuming enough protein in your diet there is nothing to rebuild with meaning the damaged cells are returned to the body as fuel and not repaired, = loss of strength. Like I said the process of weight loss and muscle retention is the holy grail of body/strength training. You could use a visit to a dietitian who is versed in strength training.

Edit: I will be in need of one soon.

Reactions: Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
You might be confusing cal def with lack of protein. If you are not consuming enough protein in your diet there is nothing to rebuild with meaning the damaged cells are returned to the body as fuel and not repaired, = loss of strength. Like I said the process of weight loss and muscle retention is the holy grail of body/strength training. You could use a visit to a dietitian who is versed in strength training.

Edit: I will be in need of one soon.
You may need something that gives you an edge. We are talking supplements that will give you the gains that diet, exercise and protein fail to provide.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
You may need something that gives you an edge. We are talking supplements that will give you the gains that diet, exercise and protein fail to provide.
If your talking about PEDs or roids, no he doesn't need them. There are a very select few that "do" and to recommend them to a novice is a very dangerous thing to do.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
I gained strength (measured) and size (measured) while eating a 20% deficit on programmed workout over 8 weeks dropping 9 lbs and gaining strength. programmed diet was very high in protein , relatively low fat, and the rest carbs.

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
I gained strength (measured) and size (measured) while eating a 20% deficit on programmed workout over 8 weeks dropping 9 lbs and gaining strength. programmed diet was very high in protein , relatively low fat, and the rest carbs.
Interesting, that had to be a very taylored plan. Care to share more about it, weight, size, your level of experience in the gym, diet...?

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
Interesting, that had to be a very taylored plan. Care to share more about it, weight, size, your level of experience in the gym, diet...?

I've been lifting regularly for 3 years. I have not been following a program before, but I did try programming myself with some success.

Workouts were programmed by a IFBB pro who is vegan with 5 days in the gym, 2 rest days. Chest, Back, Legs, Arms, Delts. with cardio each day (but leg day) and core work scheduled each day. This was for a group as part of a program from http://www.veganfitness.com

My changes were not huge, but material. Starting weight 243, ending 234. Waist size dropped 2 cm, bicep size went up 1 cm . Neck dropped 2 cm. Chest dropped 1 cm.
Now I hold fat in my stomach and chest. I know the chest dropped further as how my shirts fit is better across the chest but I believe my back gained which affected my ability to compare measurements. My back always gains like crazy compared to any other muscle group.

I gained strength across all lifts with bicep curls seeing the most gains. (10-15lbs over the period)

SNC

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2001
I've been lifting regularly for 3 years. I have not been following a program before, but I did try programming myself with some success.

Workouts were programmed by a IFBB pro who is vegan with 5 days in the gym, 2 rest days. Chest, Back, Legs, Arms, Delts. with cardio each day (but leg day) and core work scheduled each day. This was for a group as part of a program from http://www.veganfitness.com

My changes were not huge, but material. Starting weight 243, ending 234. Waist size dropped 2 cm, bicep size went up 1 cm . Neck dropped 2 cm. Chest dropped 1 cm.
Now I hold fat in my stomach and chest. I know the chest dropped further as how my shirts fit is better across the chest but I believe my back gained which affected my ability to compare measurements. My back always gains like crazy compared to any other muscle group.

I gained strength across all lifts with bicep curls seeing the most gains. (10-15lbs over the period)
What was the intensity/diet compared to your previous workouts? Were you doing anything even close to the same amount of work before or was it just a different workout? 1-2 cm is within the error range for measuring.

mike8675309

Jul 17, 2013
No error in measuring as I made sure it was all the same. Big difference was volume and intensity. I normally would do 3 sets of anything with 6-8 reps and I would do 4 to 5 movements. With this program I was doing 4 sets of 8-12 reps one week, then 3 sets with 15 reps the next week. And I was doing 8-10 movements with 30 to 45 minutes of cardio. Switched from lazy sets with more than 60 second pauses between sets regular to carefully timed sets with no more than 60 seconds between sets.

Looking at my logs, can say that on week 1 of the program I could do DB Hammer Curls with 30lbs for 3 sets of 10. During the last week I was doing 3 sets of 8 with 40lbs. V-Bar cable push week 1, 4 sets of 10 at 57lbs. Last week I was doing 4 sets of 10 at 67.5lbs.

I'm not saying it is ever an ideal situation to try and gain strength/ muscle while cutting. But I am saying it's possible, just not ideal. If you want to gain lean muscle mass, you are always going to get more value for your workout if you are in a caloric surplus.

Joshuamiller

Jul 10, 2018
I believe that 'Eating better is more important than counting calories for weight loss'. Along with 'weight loss diet plan' performing 'yogic yoga in weight loss' is also good.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Here's an update to my progress. Yesterday I benched 180 lbs for 7 reps, not 100% sure if I could do 8 reps but I did not attempt an 8th rep because I did not have a spotter. I seemed to have hit a wall on bench press at 180 lbs for 7 reps. About a 1.5 months ago I was benching 195 lbs for 3 reps but seem to have plateaued there as well so I decided to increase my rep range to between 8-12 (8 being the minimum reps I want to achieve in the set) and reduced the weight. About 5 weeks ago I was benching 165 lbs for 8 reps. I did get a little better at bench through the course of the month but I think I'm progressing too slowly. I'm 40 years old and weigh 160 lbs, so I'm not sure if my bodyweight or age are holding me back at 180 lbs for 7 reps for bench press.

you know what will help you lift more? I have tried so many diff things. #1 to getting stronger / bigger.. EAT MORE. buy your self some weight gainer some creatine and casein protein powder. After your giant breakfast of lots of carbs protein fat. i say equal 33% of each. after breakfast eat scoop weight gainer, then for lunch eat nice big lunch, work out 2 hours after that .. maybe 4pm? depending on time of day my body can lift different amounts. before bed take your casein, You will grow

Also you can use creatine retain some water will def bump you up to next rep. Every 16 weeks take a week off, start low again.. This is the hardest thing for me unless i force myself to go on vacation with out weights nearby. i still find myself wanting to do lots of push-ups to try maintain. In the past ive done max overload training but right now and some fun 8 6 3 set work out with 60 seconds rest between sets. The key is to trick your muscles into growing.

one friends diet and work out was train 8 days straight then take 5 days off, eat ground meat for every meal as much as he could he had muscle ontop muscle surely was on some kinda drugs too ;) but that was his technique.