Should he have been expelled (Left gun in car parked near school grounds.)

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
No

- It was off school property

- WTF were police doing "random inspections" for? Was it like school security walking around checking out students cars? If so, they are bound by school limits. If it's just some cop walking around looking in windows, see below

- I hope he was at least smart enough to put it out of sight...

- Unless there's a law stating no firearms within XX yards of school property (which there very well may be), he didn't do anything illegal (assuming gun was lawfully owned, and it was not loaded)

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
No

- It was off school property

- WTF were police doing "random inspections" for? Was it like school security walking around checking out students cars? If so, they are bound by school limits. If it's just some cop walking around looking in windows, see below

- I hope he was at least smart enough to put it out of sight...

- Unless there's a law stating no firearms within XX yards of school property (which there very well may be), he didn't do anything illegal (assuming gun was lawfully owned, and it was not loaded)

If somebody can figure out if "school security" means "police", that would help. I'm not sure what they are.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
If somebody can figure out if "school security" means "police", that would help. I'm not sure what they are.

Yeah it would simplify things

If it was school security checking on vehicles off of gorunds, screw that crap

If it was a patrolling cop looking in windows, and there is a law in CA stating no guns within XX yds of grounds, then it's sadly valid (though in this specific case I wouldn't really say that any wrongdoing took place, though technically illegal)

"The police doing random inspections of vehicals find his gun"

What I'd like to know, was it in sight? The wording makes it sound like police were doing random physical searches, which would be bogus (and probably not the case). But if someone saw it through his window, I'd say that's kosher

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Yeah it would simplify things

If it was school security checking on vehicles off of gorunds, screw that crap

If it was a patrolling cop looking in windows, and there is a law in CA stating no guns within XX yds of grounds, then it's sadly valid (though in this specific case I wouldn't really say that any wrongdoing took place, though technically illegal)

"The police doing random inspections of vehicals find his gun"

What I'd like to know, was it in sight? The wording makes it sound like police were doing random physical searches, which would be bogus (and probably not the case). But if someone saw it through his window, I'd say that's kosher

Best I can tell, the dog sniffed it out. I've never worked with a gun-sniffing dog..but apparently they exist.

Jan 2, 2010
Where you live in might be different, but here high school security are police officers. They carry guns and they can arrest you. That is why I referrred to them as being police officers in the article, because they probably are.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Where you live in might be different, but here high school security are police officers. They carry guns and they can arrest you. That is why I referrred to them as being police officers in the article, because they probably are.

You probably have school resource officers, which are police officers for your town or city and are assigned to the school. The article said "school security" - not "police" - which is why I'm not sure.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

they were not cops, but private security:

Later that morning, private security guards performing a sweep of the school's perimeter with a gun-sniffing dog discovered the guns.

from here

Hey Zeus

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Basically a high school junior goes hunting before school, and afterwards doesn't have time to go home and drop his hunting rifle off. So he parks his vehical on the street off of the campus thinking it should be fine since he didn't park on campus with the guns. The police doing random inspections of vehicals find his gun and he gets expelled by the school district board. He appeals to the county school board and wins and they throw out the expulsion.

Personally I think he should have been expelled. It sets a dangerous precedent that students can take guns when they go to school. Schools are suppose to free from guns. Dumb county officials, I hope the school board fights this and wins and he gets expelled for good.

Link to article:

http://www.news10.net/news/story.aspx?storyid=73798&catid=2

Thread title fixed to make it more accurate and less trollish. -Admin DrPizza

He went Hunting you fucking tree hugger. It's not like he brought it to shoot up the school

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
Seriously...

MN cop: Hey not much is going on here, let's go take a look around in canada see if we find anything

I'd still want it to get clarified though that

- gun was/not legally owned
- gun was un/loaded
- gun was/not in sight

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
What's the big deal? The gun isn't going to shoot anyone by itself. It isn't like he was brandishing it in a classroom.