Shootout: 780 Lightning vs 290

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ICDP

Nov 15, 2012
I can easily clock my 780 to ~1300 as well.I do not run at those speeds as I play mostly swtor nowadays.Heck I have seen Titan owners with TI bios cross the 1250 mark, it was a max oc shootout and 780 just plain came out ahead.As for recommendation I don't care, people choose according to their needs, their is no one size fits all.

It's a good comparison and it was a lot of effort from Elfear. I just would never use it to proclaim GTX780 better than R9 290. The Nvidia fans seem to take this to mean GTX780 > R9 290. All it means is that this particular High end GTX780 is better than a reference R9 290.

No sh*t :)

Last edited:

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
It's a good comparison and it was a lot of effort from Elfear. I just would never use it to proclaim GTX780 better than R9 290. The Nvidia fans seem to take this to mean GTX780 > R9 290. All it means is that this particular High end GTX780 is better than a reference R9 290.

No shit :)

780 > 290 any day dude its simple math really :biggrin:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Looks like I am a little to the party. I have been pestering you for the last week and your results have been on here for the past two days ;) I really appreciate the time you spent on theses benchmarks and even measuring the power usage at the wall when running them. That is a great idea, and something I will more than likely incorporate in to my future tests.

I am not too surprised by the outcome giving the Lightning is clocked so high. I am surprised by the amount of power the lightning consumes when @ 1400Mhz+. I am seeing a whole lot more power being consumed and not much of a performance benefit. Like Balla mentioned, I think this has something to do with the low clocking Elpida memory holding the card back at that core clock. In my own tests I didn't notice much of an increase when cranking her up to close to 1400Mhz as well. I do see your Bioshock frame rates are higher than mine in the same test, assuming the settings are the exact same. This is more than likely because you are on high clocking Haswell setup? Crysis 3 finally broke my 1333Mhz stable overclock @ 1.2v. It's now fully stable @ 1320/1650 @ 1.2v. I will say even @ 1440P, this card is fast. I even recorded some videos using shadowplay showing the performance @ 1440P

Metro LL
Crysis 3
Modded Skyrim

I don't think I am going to shoot for 1400Mhz+ on this card when the NZXT G10 gets here. I may just go for silent gaming setup with a decently clocked card @ 1320/1650 or put it on another card?

Awesome job Elfear and thanks for doing this :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Fastx

Dec 18, 2008
Nice work Elfear and thanks! This whole thread has also been a good read for me!

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Hey F2F,

Crysis 3 was also the oc breaker for me. I was at 1241@1.187v stable in every game and C3 wouldn't last a minute.

Anyone doing stability testing should start with that game.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I agree with both of you of guys. I wish they made a benchmark tool for this game, would save a lot of time.

I was good for an hour with Crysis 3 @ 1333Mhz then the driver stopped responding. Kind of funny, this is how you know this card is pushed too hard. It never locks up or anything, the driver just stops responding...
Even @ 1440P my 3570K is a bottleneck in certain parts of this game. My cpu usage outside is in the 90's for every core if you watch the video...

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Yeah I had similar results with 7950 CF at 1080p, even at 4.8Ghz my cpu would start necking it a bit around 60 fps.

Shadow Play looks great, better than using Quick Sync as I didn't see any texture quality loss that I see sometimes when using Quick Sync via MSI Afterburner.

Termie

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
www.techbuyersguru.com
Crysis 3 is where I started stability testing my CPU!

Also great for that.

I agree with both of you of guys. I wish they made a benchmark tool for this game, would save a lot of time.

I was good for an hour with Crysis 3 @ 1333Mhz then the driver stopped responding. Kind of funny, this is how you know this card is pushed too hard. It never locks up or anything, the driver just stops responding...
Even @ 1440P my 3570K is a bottleneck in certain parts of this game. My cpu usage outside is in the 90's for every core if you watch the video...

Crysis 3 is one of the few games that performs much better with Hyperthreading. It was not playable at Very High spec on my 3770K@stock with HT turned off. Turning on HT gave it a big boost. OC'ing helped too, of course, but having both is the best bet for this game.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
Really love these types of reviews!

Thanks!

The 780's, particularly the Lightning just are more refined than the 290 reference. Without mining considerations I'd take the 780Lightning any day of the week at current price levels.

The non reference 290's should make things a bit more interesting, but it's really not too interesting until prices on AMD stuff come back down.

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
I get the bag on reference for the 290, but when was the last time anyone considered reference water inferior to non reference air?

Has that ever happened before?

Also mining is like pulling teeth, unless you are only buying for mining I don't see any reason to bring it up. The 780 can pull 600+ kh/s now so it's not like it can't do the same, it will just take longer due to kh/w difference. Which could obviously change with more revisions to the CUDA miner which has already taken Kepler for completely worthless to respectable outside of that kh/w issue.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Also mining is like pulling teeth, unless you are only buying for mining I don't see any reason to bring it up. The 780 can pull 600+ kh/s now so it's not like it can't do the same, it will just take longer due to kh/w difference. Which could obviously change with more revisions to the CUDA miner which has already taken Kepler for completely worthless to respectable outside of that kh/w issue.

How much power does a 780 pull to do 600kh/s?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Whoa say what now. When and how did this happen.

That is worse than AMD's rate but....a huge jump for NV cards.

Gloomy

Golden Member
Oct 12, 2010
The entire system...

Wow we're really derailing this thread which had no kh/s graphs in the OP :|

Not really derailing unless you consider mining performance not relevant to this forum (since it is relevant to the cards).