shooting at quebec city mosque, 5 reported dead

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
This guy looks like the prototypical alt-right guy: kinda nerdy, europhile, awkward, probably a male virgin.

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014
This guy looks like the prototypical alt-right guy: kinda nerdy, europhile, awkward, probably a male virgin.

Studying political science at uni? Negative, alt-right = against all forms of education.

He was your average Canadian Republican who so happens to support Trump!

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Didn't you see already he is mentally ill therefore it isn't an issue for the right. White guy shooting up a mosque is not a terrorist.

There's an issue to argue over delineation. What constitutes terrorism? Group organization, active participation, logistical, financial support, planning, ideology, inspiration? Casual association (same office, same school, same place of worship?) Or just named by the suspect as a simple excuse? I'd say terrorism requires a serious crime, a political goal, and a level of organization. Although that last point might rule out lone wolves. But if not for organization, what separates terrorism from any old hate crime?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
There's an issue to argue over delineation. What constitutes terrorism? Group organization, active participation, logistical, financial support, planning, ideology, inspiration? Casual association (same office, same school, same place of worship?) Or just named by the suspect as a simple excuse? I'd say terrorism requires a serious crime, a political goal, and a level of organization. Although that last point might rule out lone wolves. But if not for organization, what separates terrorism from any old hate crime?
The serious crime and the political goal both seem apparent here. The organization, it could be argued, is the social media.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
So the Rs will ban whole countries based on vague notions of terrorism...

yet a white wing troll murders Muslims suddenly they become lawyers debating the nuances of definitions, and arm chair phycologists diagnosing mental illness.

Yup. Alternative facts.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Another prediction. Trump who is quick to denounce terrorist attacks in other countries will not label this as such.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think of this more as hate crime than terrorism. I don't particularly like how everything is labelled terrorism.

Jan 25, 2011
Another prediction. Trump who is quick to denounce terrorist attacks in other countries will not label this as such.
They went further than that. Spicer said it was an example of why the Muslim ban was needed. Apparently so they can't be slaughtered by white people.

#alternativefacts.

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Nov 25, 2013
Down to a single shooter, who is clearly mentally ill, and definitely not foreign nor Muslim.

Seems more like insanity or individual hate crime than terrorist group. Terrorist inspired? Eh... if he has known contacts and logistical / finical support... otherwise I'd have to go with inspired at best. By who would be an interesting question to have answered.

Clearly mentally ill, eh? Clearly you say. And just how clearly is that and how did you discover this?

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
I think of this more as hate crime than terrorism. I don't particularly like how everything is labelled terrorism.

If it was a lone wolf Muslim, it would be labeled as a terrorist attack b/c they're supporting ISIS. From what we know so far, this person was a Trump supporter and we know what Trump and his supporters think of Muslims. Even the PM of Canada has called it terrorism.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If it was a lone wolf Muslim, it would be labeled as a terrorist attack b/c they're supporting ISIS. From what we know so far, this person was a Trump supporter and we know what Trump and his supporters think of Muslims. Even the PM of Canada has called it terrorism.

Like I said, I don't like how fast everything gets labelled terrorism so quickly.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
If it was politically motivated (and it almost certainly was), I don't see anything wrong with calling it terrorism. It wasn't an indiscriminate mass shooting like you get at high schools, it was an obvious political/religious attack with political/religious motive, almost certainly intended to frighten said target.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If it was politically motivated (and it almost certainly was), I don't see anything wrong with calling it terrorism. It wasn't an indiscriminate mass shooting like you get at high schools, it was an obvious political/religious attack with political/religious motive, almost certainly intended to frighten said target.

Maybe he is part of a terrorist cell, maybe not. Maybe he is just emboldened by the election of Donald Trump. We just don't know enough yet.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
thought the lefties kept saying that strict gun control would stop this?

No, only dumb lefties thought gun bans would stop this. And yes I said gun bans, thats what crazy lefties want. Just like how crazy righties want Muslim bans and LGBT bans and even if they wont say it now they also want asian bans, black bans, atheist bans, and infinite other bans.