Shell Workers Had To Attend Trump Speech To Be Paid, Were Ordered Not To Protest: Report

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The new $6 billion plant, which has been under construction since 2017, is an “ethane cracker” plant. It will “crack” ethane, a natural gas liquid found in some natural gas deposits, and turn it into plastic pellets to be used in various plastic products. The plant will produce over 1 million tons of plastic. Environmentalists and community groups complain that the operation will harm the region’s air quality and will increase carbon emissions and plastic pollution.

Should have built the plant in China, no Trump rally attendance by employees' controversy, no worries about harming the region’s air quality or increasing carbon emissions and plastic pollution, and you can go buy all your foreign throwaway plastic junk at your local big box store while virtue signaling how you kept a polluting plastic plant out of your neighborhood for environmental reasons,

because as we all know many of our liberal, living wage, pro environment Americans only care if their political, labor, environmental rights are threatened in their own neighborhoods, but as long as you give them a cheap price they forget or don't care about the conditions those products are made under when it is in some far away land that they would struggle to find on a map.

For those with too much Trump derangement syndrome to understand it's like this, don't expect for the environment to somehow magically clean itself or the problems of pollution to go away when all you care is about your own front and backyards but have no problem buying your cheap junk from countries with lax to no pollution standards and made under labor and wage conditions you would consider criminal if you were expected to work under them.

Curb your consumerism, recycle, and apply the same labor, environmental and human rights standards uniformly to the actual product itself regardless of where it is sourced from,

but the question then becomes are you willing to pay more for it in the short run while everyone will benefit in the long run.

Reactions: IJTSSG

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Should have built the plant in China, no Trump rally attendance by employees' controversy, no worries about harming the region’s air quality or increasing carbon emissions and plastic pollution, and you can go buy all your foreign throwaway plastic junk at your local big box store while virtue signaling how you kept a polluting plastic plant out of your neighborhood for environmental reasons,

because as we all know many of our liberal, living wage, pro environment Americans only care if their political, labor, environmental rights are threatened in their own neighborhoods, but as long as you give them a cheap price they forget or don't care about the conditions those products are made under when it is in some far away land that they would struggle to find on a map.

For those with too much Trump derangement syndrome to understand it's like this, don't expect for the environment to somehow magically clean itself or the problems of pollution to go away when all you care is about your own front and backyards but have no problem buying your cheap junk from countries with lax to no pollution standards and made under labor and wage conditions you would consider criminal if you were expected to work under them.

Curb your consumerism, recycle, and apply the same labor, environmental and human rights standards uniformly to the actual product itself regardless of where it is sourced from,

but the question then becomes are you willing to pay more for it in the short run while everyone will benefit in the long run.
Isn't China moving over to Renewables and becoming more concerned about the Environment now?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
All the workers had to do is snuggle a anti trump or any democrat sign. When trump starts talking pull it out. Get kicked out. So you would get paid and only listen to the speech for a few minutes
not worth losing your job over, easier to go and put earbuds on and jam out.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
This is the kind of thing that'd make me get an EV out of spite, though!
If you can afford such a thing.... On the other hand I'm a poor not so white middle aged man with a pile of student debt among other things so discount it is.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
My question is the Corporate donation (paid time for workers) a tax deduction or a political donation?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
My question is the Corporate donation (paid time for workers) a tax deduction or a political donation?

Since it was a rally for King Donnie the Dotard, obviously, it will be counted as work-related wages and tax deductible...had it bewn for one of the filthy 'Murica-hating libruls, it would have bwwn a non-deductible political expense.

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
Not buying Shell gas anymore, thanks for the info.

Just as an FYI to everyone, it's dangerous to say you're going to boycott certain brands because they really may not be owned by the companies you think own them.

For instance, I work for a major refining and marketing company and, through acquisitions, we own several different brands in a smattering of locations. We own some Arco sites, some Shell sites, etc... but we aren't Arco or Shell.

Those brands, at those locations, came with the acquisition because customers in those areas are accustomed to those brands.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Just as an FYI to everyone, it's dangerous to say you're going to boycott certain brands because they really may not be owned by the companies you think own them.

For instance, I work for a major refining and marketing company and, through acquisitions, we own several different brands in a smattering of locations. We own some Arco sites, some Shell sites, etc... but we aren't Arco or Shell.

Those brands, at those locations, came with the acquisition because customers in those areas are accustomed to those brands.

Plus, buying gasoline at a name-branded station doesn't always mean you're getting that particular brand of gasoline...

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Shell licenses their brand for a fee. So by shopping at a Shell location, I would be indirectly giving my money to Shell, even if it's not owned by Shell. I have no interest in that if I can avoid it. No skin off my back since Shell here is usually more expensive than other stations to boot.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Hard to imagine that they actually had to show up to get a paycheck. Where's the union?

Paying $2.39 for gas here, not counting Kroger discounts.

You don't read so good, huh?

The newspaper said that they were also told: “No yelling, shouting, protesting or anything viewed as resistance will be tolerated at the event. An underlying theme of the event is to promote good will from the unions. Your building trades leaders and jobs stewards have agreed to this.”

“This is just what Shell wanted to do and we went along with it,” Ken Broadbent, business manager for Steamfitters Local 449, told the newspaper. He said he wouldn’t “bad rap” the situation.

“We’re glad to have the jobs. We’re glad to have the project built,” he said. “The president is the president whether we like him or dislike him. We respect him for the title.”