Shell Workers Had To Attend Trump Speech To Be Paid, Were Ordered Not To Protest: Report

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I don't know. Is this a legal? Can they make you listen to the liar-in-chief to be paid (for that day)?
Seems on the surface no, but maybe the couple lawyers on this board can chime in.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/penn...ended-trump-speech_n_5d576dd7e4b056fafd0c08db

"“Your attendance is not mandatory,” one manager told workers, summarizing a memo that Shell sent to union leaders, the Post-Gazette reported, but only
those who showed up at 7 a.m., scanned their ID cards and prepared to stand for hours through lunch would be paid.
“No scan, no pay,” workers were warned.
"
"In addition, workers who decided not to listen to the president’s speech reportedly would not be paid overtime rates routinely built in for extra time during the week.

Imagine if this stunt would have been done with Obama as president.

And as usual cheeto turned this into a campaign speech
"
Trump took full credit for the plant in his speech, even though it was initially approved in June 2016, during the Obama administration, CNN reported.
“It was the Trump administration that made it possible,“ Trump told workers. “No one else. Without us, you would never have been able to do this.”
He also told workers: “I’m going to speak to some of your union leaders to say, ’I hope you’re going to support Trump. If they don’t, vote them the hell out of office because they’re not doing their job.”

Trump was supposed to stick to addressing energy in his speech, but it morphed into a full-blown, free-range campaign speech.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I highly doubt that was legal to do. I smell a really big lawsuit coming up. And would serve Shell right if a class action lawsuit was filed. And the pissed of workers begin a strike over this.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
As offensive as I think this is, I believe it's completely legal. The company can classify it as a "work-related activity," making the hours worked count toward the weekly total...which would count for overtime. Opting for PTO, those hours wouldn't be work-related...and exepmt from the weekly total towards overtime.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Well that's one way to win Pennsylvania!

Seriously though, you know who else had to show up for political rallies at the workplace? Employees of Volkswagen, Bosch, Daimler, and Siemens in 1930s Germany.

But yeah, tell me again the Hair Furor is not a fascist.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Poor wittle Trumpdy Dumpdy, looking for love. Whether it's Melania or a rally audience, he always has to pay for it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Sadly this is probably legal. Note "not mandatory" and that leaves the choice of being paid or not up to the worker. Yes, I know it's not right but what is legal and right often diverge when it gets to courts.

My guess unencumbered by data is that if people are hourly and "being paid" means getting OT, then yeah it passes easily. If these are salaried workers and this is over and above their normal shift then not so much, maybe, but again I am guessing not telling. I have no friggin idea but it's morally wrong.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Although I don't agree with what they did Shell does give me a permanent .15¢ discount so my wallet says go to Shell to fill up.

Reactions: pcgeek11

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Although I don't agree with what they did Shell does give me a permanent .15¢ discount so my wallet says go to Shell to fill up.
If you search can probably find places that would equal that .15 discount. Get app Gasbuddy for your phone. I use it all the time. Let us know what you find.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
All the workers had to do is snuggle a anti trump or any democrat sign. When trump starts talking pull it out. Get kicked out. So you would get paid and only listen to the speech for a few minutes

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"Other duties as assigned" is a standard feature of union contracts. There are exceptions for safety & training. Workers can file pay greivance if they perform duties normally assigned to higher pay grades. None of that applies when assigned to listen to an idiot. I've been a party to a lot of such presentations.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
"Other duties as assigned" is a standard feature of union contracts. There are exceptions for safety & training. Workers can file pay greivance if they perform duties normally assigned to higher pay grades. None of that applies when assigned to listen to an idiot. I've been a party to a lot of such presentations.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Out here in the west Shell isn't close to being competitive price-wise. They exist solely because of their fleet contracts. Arco, Maverik, Golden Gate and Costco are all always 30+ cents per gallon cheaper. The independent dealers are all cheaper too. Hell, even Chevron and Texaco are consistently cheaper.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We have ONE gas station in town...you guessed it...Shell. Their prices are fucking ridiculous...but when you're the only game in town......However, in the (slightly) larger towns 20 miles away, there are several stations. Prices are still higher than in civilization...but 30-50cents/gallon cheaper than the local Shell.
The local tribe is supposed to be building a mini-mart just outside town at the junction of two main roadways. I REALLY doubt their prices will be much cheaper than the Shell.

Feb 4, 2009
We have ONE gas station in town...you guessed it...Shell. Their prices are fucking ridiculous...but when you're the only game in town......However, in the (slightly) larger towns 20 miles away, there are several stations. Prices are still higher than in civilization...but 30-50cents/gallon cheaper than the local Shell.
The local tribe is supposed to be building a mini-mart just outside town at the junction of two main roadways. I REALLY doubt their prices will be much cheaper than the Shell.

Rule of three.....

You need 3 competitors to have low prices. Very accurate simple rule too.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Here when one drops their prices all must follow suit so my discount makes Shell the clear winner for a poor guy buying fuel.

m8d

Nov 5, 2012
Look at the “land of the free” forcing patriotism down our throats.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Rule of three.....

You need 3 competitors to have low prices. Very accurate simple rule too.

There is a 3rd station not far from where the tribal mini-mart will be. Prices there are the same as the Shell here in town. (Currently $3.59 for regular...drive into the next town, $3.03) There used to be another gas station sort of across the highway from the mini-mart location. Not sure if they just went out of business or if the tribe bought them out.
Keep in mind, I'm on the Washington coast...businesses here jack their prices WAAAAAAY up so they make enough money during the short tourist season to help sustain them during the off-season.

Reactions: IJTSSG

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
If coerced into attending, holding a silent protest and/or applauding Trump with stone faced golf clapping is an viable alternative to show how one feels about Trump.

No worries though, Trump's groupies in the crowd will more than make up for the lack of enthusiasm.

Jul 9, 2009
Hard to imagine that they actually had to show up to get a paycheck. Where's the union?

Paying $2.39 for gas here, not counting Kroger discounts.