Seti@home gauntlet 2012

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
i'm as dry as a two dollar whore at a gang bang in the desert.... no wu here... and i'm set up for 10 days.. :(

:eek::eek:

Sorry guys, I was out of town and the monster-in-law shut down one of my 15k ppd rigs for the past week. It was a rough week all around, my group got bumped from our hotel so that turkey and israel could meet about something or other, then I come home to a turned off i7 920. The only thing that made the week bearable was the "was that a columbian hooker?" jokes every time I saw a secret service agent...

Last edited:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
I have not run SETI since before they started using GPUs to do work. Hence my question for the more experienced folks here:

I have several computers with two GPUs. But when I check them, often I find that only one, and sometimes none, of the GPUs are doing work, but the CPU is going full blast. Is this normal? :confused:

lane42

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
Pokey, try using an older nvidia driver for your win7 computers. For some reason
the 296.10 drivers are erroring out on them, but work fine on your XP machines.

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Yeah, the 285.62 WHQL driver works fine in 64-bit win7. I believe the later drivers power down the gpu when the screensaver is activated or something like that? A potential work around is to not use the screensaver and turn off the monitor using the power switch. I didn't test this but just rolled back to the driver version mentioned above.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
OK.... Thanks guys. To bad we are running out of time.......:\

BTW: I always turn the screen saver off just as a rule.........

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
I have not run SETI since before they started using GPUs to do work. Hence my question for the more experienced folks here:

I have several computers with two GPUs. But when I check them, often I find that only one, and sometimes none, of the GPUs are doing work, but the CPU is going full blast. Is this normal? :confused:
I'm (blissfully) ignorant of any Nvidia-drivers-problems, but as for either CPU or GPU running-out of work while other has work, this isn't something new when it comes to SETI@home.

Except for the VLAR-wu's that some Nvidia-cards atleast at the start crapped-out on, all wu's is device-independent, but then they're assigned to the client they're assigned to a specific device-type, either CPU, Nvidia or Ati/AMD. Meaning on client this is separate queues. Then there's problem downloading work from SETI, one of the client-queues running-out of work before the other queue is normal.

Since GPU is significantly faster than CPU, GPU will often run-out faster then problems downloading work, and since needs to download more just to keep busy it's not even certain manages to fill-up the queue even CPU is maxed-out.

For SETI@home the current limits are 400 per GPU and 50 per CPU-core.

If example GPU uses 5 minutes per task while CPU uses 2 hours, a maxed-out queue then SETI has another connection-problem so no new work can be downloaded, will lead to GPU running dry in less than 1.4 days while CPU can continue crunching for 4.1 days.

Last edited:

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Thanks Rattledagger.
I also have noticed recently that downloads of new work seem to be excruciatingly slow. I suspect due to constrained bandwidth on their end.
I guess I have gotten spoiled. :|

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
In any case I have made some driver adjustments. And I will probably continue to run SETI past the end of the race just to see if it helps. :)

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Well, we are coming up on the end of the race. We got caught in 4th place and couldn't seem to make any headway. But I enjoyed it. :thumbsup:

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
as did i. i've always been an Astropulse cruncher at heart, but as most of you know, its damn near impossible to maintain an AP cache large enough to feed a GPU non-stop. that in addition to a driver reset problem that i could not solve in time for the Gauntlet, i ended up having to keep the HD 6950 out of this race. nevertheless, i finally got to see how my hardware stacks up on the Multibeam side of things, and found out that a GTX 460 and a GTX 560 Ti (both factory overclocked) is definitely a formula for being in the TeAm's top 10 for SETI@Home production.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks, all Gauntlet-crunchers, for a great race. We did very good!

All the teams around us - except the winning team GPUUG - had 23 - 24 members and we still placed #4 although with 14 members.
Each of the TeAm-mates crunched in average 617K points,
The two [SG]-teams above us crunched 405 - 440K/member,
The two [SG]-teams below us crunched 278 - 299K/member.
[SG] = SETI-Germany, who put more than 90 members to the Gauntlet.

We can really feel proud; considering the output/team member we were second. :)

Thanks for this time, the next race is coming up soon: PrimeGrid! :D

Wiz

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Heh - now I can regain my spot in Seti...
Assuming people will switch back to their regular projects of course!
;)

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Thanks, all Gauntlet-crunchers, for a great race. We did very good!

All the teams around us - except the winning team GPUUG - had 23 - 24 members and we still placed #4 although with 14 members.
Each of the TeAm-mates crunched in average 617K points,
The two [SG]-teams above us crunched 405 - 440K/member,
The two [SG]-teams below us crunched 278 - 299K/member.
[SG] = SETI-Germany, who put more than 90 members to the Gauntlet.

We can really feel proud; considering the output/team member we were second. :)

Thanks for this time, the next race is coming up soon: PrimeGrid! :D

Great job, TeAm! I will contribute the power of this fully operational deathstar to aid in the PrimeGrid race. And not because it sounds so much like "prime rib", though that's a good enough reason. Sorry, I just got done reading about real wood pellets and new grills in the BBQ compendium thread and I'm already planning my grilling strategai this weekend...