Seth Yatovitz = Whiny Crybaby Loser POS -trying to force city of Burlingame to remove ALL Yellow Ribbons

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Man calls yellow ribbons 'offensive'
Tells city he might file suit if items not removed from public property

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: April 2, 2003
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

A disgruntled California man has demanded the mayor of Burlingame remove the many yellow ribbons displayed on a major retail thoroughfare and to apologize to "any person who may have been offended by his illegal actions," reports the San Mateo Daily Journal.

Mayor Mike Coffey had decided the city would not enforce an ordinance against private displays on public property when a woman asked if she could put ribbons on Burlingame Avenue. Now that nearly every tree and lamppost has a yellow ribbon, Seth Yatovitz, a resident of Palo Alto, wants the city to take them down, calling them "offensive ribbons."

Yellow ribbons spark debate (photo: Michelle Durand, San Mateo Daily Journal)

According to the paper, Coffey couldn't imagine anyone complaining about the town's residents showing support for U.S. troops in Iraq.

"Clearly there are many laws on our books that are enforced when called to our attention, but we don't have the resources to enforce all the laws we have until somebody brings it up," City Manager Jim Nantell told the Daily Journal.

Even though Yatovitz is not a resident of Burlingame, he has the right to object, said Nantell.

In his complaint to the city, Yatovitz mentioned his belief that the soldiers involved in the Iraq theater are actually criminals.

"I find the yellow ribbons on city property offensive to my senses, as they are posted in support of violators of international law. I do support our troops that are not involved in illegal activity," Yatovitz wrote to the council.

If his demand is not heeded, according to the report, Yatovitz will begin a boycott of Burlingame businesses and possibly file a lawsuit.

"I'm trying to put pressure on the city targeting their tax base. It's not aimed at the businesses and I have no animosity towards the businesses," Yatovitz said.

Some businesspeople will not tolerate the city removing the ribbons.

"We are at war and somebody wants to remove the ribbon? I think it's over my dead body if he wants to remove it," said Ashok Patel, owner of the Burlingame Smoke Shop, according to the report.

As WorldNetDaily reported, the Fieldsboro, N.J., borough council recently voted to ban yellow ribbons from public property after a businessowner placed a ribbon on the official borough welcome sign and one nearby.

The Burlingame City Council will take up the issue at Monday's council meeting.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=31828

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
He might get by with it in California, but here in Oklahoma we would just tie HIM to a tree than to give up OUR right to support the troops on or off city property. We're such a bunch of redneck trouble makers damnit! :p

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
I am not sure why he would take offense to the yellow ribbons themselves, although I can understand his concern about littering, etc. A public property in itself should not be a venue for private displays, no matter how patriotic or well-meaning they may be.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Zakath15
I am not sure why he would take offense to the yellow ribbons themselves, although I can understand his concern about littering, etc. A public property in itself should not be a venue for private displays, no matter how patriotic or well-meaning they may be.

I take it you have no children over there? How would you feel if your child was abducted and they said sorry, you can't post a missing person poster on public property.

Marshallj

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
Somebody should do the country a favor and pummel him. He seems to be offended by a sense of unity in the country. He's a member of the lunatic fringe and the public should drive home the point that he's in the minority and he has to put up with the majority's wishes.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: mastertech01

I take it you have no children over there? How would you feel if your child was abducted and they said sorry, you can't post a missing person poster on public property.

How would I feel? It depends on how many are put up, and I think it's crucial to this debate.

In my mind, I had an image of the utility poles being plastered and completely covered with ribbons. However, from the photo in the article, it appears I am wrong. If it is intermittenly placed on public property, I don't have a problem with it.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
I am not sure why he would take offense to the yellow ribbons themselves,

It sounded pretty obvious to me:

"In his complaint to the city, Yatovitz mentioned his belief that the soldiers involved in the Iraq theater are actually criminals."

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
well I don't think the KKK are nice guys so they can't protest or gather to show support for their views either.....Not only is his perspective on our soildiers actions as "illegal" wacked, his logic and understanding of what this country stands for is fundamentaly flawed. Tie whatever color ribbon he likes best around his neck....

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
public property = no

private property = ok

people put up yellow ribbons on public property, what's to prevent others to drape a "no blood for oil" banner right over the ribbons? where will it stop, it would get out of hand very easily. if most people in the community want ribbons, put it on their houses, it'd probably look a lot nicer anyway.

bulldawg

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Can't they take those down and then let the city put up some "official" ribbons on city property?

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: drewshin
public property = no

private property = ok

people put up yellow ribbons on public property, what's to prevent others to drape a "no blood for oil" banner right over the ribbons? where will it stop, it would get out of hand very easily. if most people in the community want ribbons, put it on their houses, it'd probably look a lot nicer anyway.
I'm tired of mincing words. drewshin, you're a f***ing idiot. You are another paranoid liberal that thinks that every single small infraction will lead to a "domino effect." Hey, I spent 4 years in college debate and was a national champion, so don't tell me I don't know the argument. I used it a lot. However, it's common knowledge in the debate world that it's not a good argument in and of itself. PROVE to me that people will be allowed to post "No Blood for Oil" stickers or that we'll start putting up ribbons for every single cause that comes by. You can't because it's not true.

However, that's not the most important reason why these are OK to display. They're OK because IT'S A NATIONAL MILITARY FERCHRISTSAKES!! It's not my military or your military, it's everyone's military. The ribbons don't display any side of the war, they are simply a sign that we want our troops to come home safely. Even many anti-war protesters carry them on their posters and on their homes. The only people who would want them gone would be those who fully hate America. If they say they don't, they're lying to themselves. Displaying yellow ribbons for our soldiers is no different that displaying the flag on public property. It's about patriotism, and if this guy's offended, tough.

You show me in the constitution where is says that one of our inalienable rights is to not be offended and I'll drop the argument.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
i thought people only had a stick up their butt against religious displays... i feel a little better know that simply showing patriotism drives the extreme liberals crazy, proving they are completely detached from any sort of normal american values.

I also find it interesting that someone with a Jewish surname is against this war, as the cheif beneficiary in the region is Israel. I guess he hates God, his country, and himself all at the same time.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I've always thought that wearing ribbons, no matter what the reason, is kinda stupid.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
The guy isn't even a resident of Burlingame. I bet the vast majoprity of residents not only in Burlingame, but in California think this guys is a supreme wanker. I also bet that some of the Neo Neanderthals have already discovered his address in Palo Alto and are letting him know of their feelings

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BDawg
I've always thought that wearing ribbons, no matter what the reason, is kinda stupid.
Are you sure that was actually a thought and not self loathing ?

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Are you sure that was actually a thought and not self loathing ?

Not self loathing. I just don't understand how wearing a ribbon means you care any more about a certain area. Anyone can wear a ribbon; only people who care act.

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002

Well your opinion is all good and nice, but not everyone thinks like you.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
A disgruntled California man has demanded the mayor of Burlingame remove the many yellow ribbons displayed on a major retail thoroughfare and to apologize to "any person who may have been offended by his illegal actions," reports the San Mateo Daily Journal.

You just gotta love "The People's Republic of California"
rolleye.gif

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak

rolleye.gif
Well according to inbred paint chip eaters from Alabama. Listen Bubba, don't judge the whoe state because of some idiot expressing his right to free speech. Just like you he, is entitled to be an idiot.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

rolleye.gif
Well according to inbred paint chip eaters from Alabama. Listen Bubba, don't judge the whoe state because of some idiot expressing his right to free speech. Just like you he, is entitled to be an idiot.

Actually, I won't disagree, there are paint-chip eating rednecks in Alabama, and I can't wait to move back up north.

I base my opinion of the PRC on legislation enacted by that state's government.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

rolleye.gif

Actually, I won't disagree, there are paint-chip eating rednecks in Alabama, and I can't wait to move back up north.

Well ignorance is bliss Bubba. Trust me, the vast majority of Californians are as Patriotic and the uneducated masses who are toold what the need to know from Rush Limbaugh. Plus if you are intelligent, have all your teeth and have the ability to form a lucid thought I can assure you the you'd love this place.

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003

rolleye.gif

Well ignorance is bliss Bubba. Trust me, the vast majority of Californians are as Patriotic and the uneducated masses who are toold what the need to know from Rush Limbaugh. Plus if you are intelligent, have all your teeth and have the ability to form a lucid thought I can assure you the you'd love this place.

1) Rush Limbaugh is an idiot
2) I'd rather not live on a major, active fault line thanks.

Edit:
Sounds very much like the Neo Neanderthals..err Conservatives.
Yeah, I'd definately enjoy being your neighbor.
rolleye.gif

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

rolleye.gif

1) Rush Limbaugh is an idiot
2) I'd rather not live on a major, active fault line thanks.

Edit:
Sounds very much like the Neo Neanderthals..err Conservatives.
Yeah, I'd definately enjoy being your neighbor.
rolleye.gif
Well if you were my nieghbor I'm sure I'd complain about the cars you have on blocks in your front yard. BTW, your Mobile Home would survuve an Earthquake.. much better than a Tornado.