News Setback for conspiracy nutters

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
In a modern sense of the word I guess you could call an installment like Infowars "evil".

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I thought this thread was going to be about the political witch hunt that is Russian collusion when I read the title.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I thought this thread was going to be about the political witch hunt that is Russian collusion when I read the title.
What kind of hat will you be eating if it turns out to be true. Trump a russian agent. Would you rather be a Russian than turn your back on Trumpism?

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
What kind of hat will you be eating if it turns out to be true. Trump a russian agent. Would you rather be a Russian than turn your back on Trumpism?

For him its the liburals fault for everything.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I hope they take every nickel Alex Jones has. His attack on these people was fucking depraved.
He took advantage of a permissive liberal state's attitude toward free speech. Wasn't it state authority that reigned him in? And isn't it quite conservative of you to be tickled by this?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He took advantage of a permissive liberal state's attitude toward free speech. Wasn't it state authority that reigned him in? And isn't it quite conservative of you to be tickled by this?

I speak for Justice. Call it conservative if you want. I call it Karma, what goes around comes around. Alex Jones richly deserves a royal rogering & I hope he gets it.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think you need a political leaning to be tickled by this. Jones knowingly puts people's lives in danger to promote false conspiracy theories and pad his bank account. That crosses the line from free speech into reckless endangerment... and, frankly, pure evil. Unless Jones is sincerely sorry, he deserves every bad thing that happens to him the rest of his life.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I speak for Justice. Call it conservative if you want. I call it Karma, what goes around comes around. Alex Jones richly deserves a royal rogering & I hope he gets it.
Well, what do you mean by justice. Do you mean doing what is fair, or do you mean getting what you deserve when you don't or both. These things can lead in different directions I think. For a liberal like me virtue is the love of doing what is right for the sake of the self respect that it brings, but for a conservative or too many of them, in my opinion, their idea is that justice should be maintained by fear. This, I think, is a difference that springs from a deeper source, the faith that people are basically good but corruptible or basically evil and manageable only by means of threat.

I don't have a preference for what we want to call what you here express. My interest is in being personally clear on the nature of moral outrage. It's a pretty terrible thing, I think, if there isn't any true morality behind it, where it is based on unconscious assumptions that have been inculcated by violence. I may not be quite so comfortable accepting my moral outrage as objectively based as you are. I would also, as a direct result, be far more comfortable pushing the love of truth as a virtue with infinite rewards over the fear of going to hell for being evil. That last part (hell) is a given because it implies the absence of the first (the satisfactions of self respect).

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

He is trying to hide behind the first amendment to push conspiracy theories and encourage harrassment of victims. He's an asshole and I hope he gets what's coming to him.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't think you need a political leaning to be tickled by this. Jones knowingly puts people's lives in danger to promote false conspiracy theories and pad his bank account. That crosses the line from free speech into reckless endangerment... and, frankly, pure evil. Unless Jones is sincerely sorry, he deserves every bad thing that happens to him the rest of his life.
What would you say about the moral values of a culture that allows such things to happen to itself? Wouldn't the carriers of that culture also bear some culpability? And what of the willingly deceived?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
What would you say about the moral values of a culture that allows such things to happen to itself? Wouldn't the carriers of that culture also bear some culpability? And what of the willingly deceived?
I think people have the responsibility to think things through and not just believe everything they are told.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

There is a certain responsibility on the part of society at large to learn from this, but that starts by dismantling Jones' apparatus. If firefighters were lax in responding to a house on fire, you still wait for them to put out the blaze before you start asking them how they could improve.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
He is trying to hide behind the first amendment to push conspiracy theories and encourage harrassment of victims. He's an asshole and I hope he gets what's coming to him.
Fine, me too. Thank God we have sufficient structure and order left in our legal system to bring justice to those who act dispicably. All Hale conservative thinking. One could almost say that liberal permissiveness over speech as in our wonderfully liberal first amendment, and the way this asshole abused it, has been tamped down by judicial authority. All Hale the authoritarian state and the notion of limits. Freedom can't exist without responsibility to use it properly. The left and the right make sense at a higher level of understanding.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There is a certain responsibility on the part of society at large to learn from this, but that starts by dismantling Jones' apparatus. If firefighters were lax in responding to a house on fire, you still wait for them to put out the blaze before you start asking them how they could improve.

Well, my opinion is that we are going to be late in figuring out our responsibility to learn from Jones too, so I'm starting early. I post on this forum but have little control over what happens to Jones real world.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Fine, me too. Thank God we have sufficient structure and order left in our legal system to bring justice to those who act dispicably. All Hale conservative thinking.

I don't see what's wrong in enforcing slander and libel laws against a man who abused the victims of the Sandy Hook massacre.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Fine, me too. Thank God we have sufficient structure and order left in our legal system to bring justice to those who act dispicably. All Hale conservative thinking. One could almost say that liberal permissiveness over speech as in our wonderfully liberal first amendment, and the way this asshole abused it, has been tamped down by judicial authority. All Hale the authoritarian state and the notion of limits. Freedom can't exist without responsibility to use it properly. The left and the right make sense at a higher level of understanding.

The rare sarcastic Moonie.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I don't have a preference for what we want to call what you here express. My interest is in being personally clear on the nature of moral outrage. It's a pretty terrible thing, I think, if there isn't any true morality behind it, where it is based on unconscious assumptions that have been inculcated by violence. I may not be quite so comfortable accepting my moral outrage as objectively based as you are. I would also, as a direct result, be far more comfortable pushing the love of truth as a virtue with infinite rewards over the fear of going to hell for being evil. That last part (hell) is a given because it implies the absence of the first (the satisfactions of self respect).

I never claimed objectivity. I try to put myself in other people's shoes. When I look at the callous avarice from Jones towards the families of Sandy Hook who were already grieving the loss of their young children, it does something to me at a deep emotional level. Given that I can't just beat him into a state of reasonableness & force him to apologize I'll settle for those families doing what they can to break him financially.

If we're to have a civilized society we must have rules & norms that set a minimum level of respect in how we deal with each other. Jones & others simply won't do that unless forced to do so. There are limits & consequences of Free Speech, rightfully so.

Fuck that guy. He knows what he's doing. His conspiracy theories are just games in his head. He doesn't believe any of it, but he knows that his usual rubes will & DGAF about what happens when they do. He's gettin' his, and that's all that matters.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I don't see what's wrong in enforcing slander and libel laws against a man who abused the victims of the Sandy Hook massacre.
I don't either. My point is that it is the inherent order demanded by law, a major conservative value, that has allowed a radical conservative prick to be brought to heal. I only want to say I recognize that as a value. Freedom of speech must be tempered by responsibility and Jones has for a very long time, in my opinion, been way over the line. My intention is to draw back from the emotional satisfaction that karma brings and keep an eye on how to balance the need for freedom without losing responsibility and visa versa.

Reactions: Jaskalas

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I never claimed objectivity. I try to put myself in other people's shoes. When I look at the callous avarice from Jones towards the families of Sandy Hook who were already grieving the loss of their young children, it does something to me at a deep emotional level. Given that I can't just beat him into a state of reasonableness & force him to apologize I'll settle for those families doing what they can to break him financially.

If we're to have a civilized society we must have rules & norms that set a minimum level of respect in how we deal with each other. Jones & others simply won't do that unless forced to do so. There are limits & consequences of Free Speech, rightfully so.

Fuck that guy. He knows what he's doing. His conspiracy theories are just games in his head. He doesn't believe any of it, but he knows that his usual rubes will & DGAF about what happens when they do. He's gettin' his, and that's all that matters.
My suspicion is that Jones is a psychopath who discovered how to make money off the vicious sickness in others. I understand the deep emotional nature of your offense. I also know the futility of rage.