Serious problem! I'm no longer interested in videogames!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
It only takes 1 good game to bring to back into darkness.

Think of it as a drug. Sure you're clean now but take one good hit and you're back in paradise.

godspeedx

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2002
Meet some real live peple who aren't geeks. Use every ounce of your effort to become friends and hang out with them.

Then after partying all night you'll come back and not feel so "geeky" about playing video games, and you'll enjoy them.

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: godspeedx
Meet some real live peple who aren't geeks. Use every ounce of your effort to become friends and hang out with them.

Then after partying all night you'll come back and not feel so "geeky" about playing video games, and you'll enjoy them.

That whole "partying the whole night" thing - I grew out of that years ago.

I have to teach kids, and I take that veeery seriously - this whole "responsibility" thing kinda puts a damper on your partying days . . ..

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Jehovah

I have to teach kids, and I take that veeery seriously - this whole "responsibility" thing kinda puts a damper on your partying days . . ..

You should really start doing drugs then.........

I kid I kid!!! :p

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Joeyman
Originally posted by: Jehovah

You should really start doing drugs then.........

I kid I kid!!! :p

Oh, it's not like I don't go out - I'm going out to the bars later tonight, in fact - I just am worried about my non-videogaming habits. Those two do not mix in my book - that is, unless I start playing game drunk with buddies . . ..

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Congrats. It's happened to me once or twice (I'm 21), but I've always been sucked back in by the siren call of these digital temptresses we call games. I play about two hours a day on average for the week.

Do people actually play for 40 hours straight? Only a couple of games have ever kept me up through the night - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis / Last Crusade, Alpha Centauri, Fallout(s), and Space Empires. And never for more than 14 hours straight, in the extremes.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yea losing interest is normal.... esp with games that make you do busy work, its just boring. rediculous repetitive leveling up and other bull. only games i like these days are heavily scripted and busy work free ones like call of duty. i really liked how they don't even make you try doors. if a door is closed, it is ALWAYS closed. and they tell u so. no going from door to door trying to find a bloody one that will open, then hunt for a bloody key etc. i guess its a lack of patience for bullsh*t. its been there, done that:p

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: diegoalcatraz
Congrats. It's happened to me once or twice (I'm 21), but I've always been sucked back in by the siren call of these digital temptresses we call games. I play about two hours a day on average for the week.

Do people actually play for 40 hours straight? Only a couple of games have ever kept me up through the night - Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis / Last Crusade, Alpha Centauri, Fallout(s), and Space Empires. And never for more than 14 hours straight, in the extremes.

Y'know, I never knew people actually did that, but last semester I met guys that do that on a regular basis - they do not sleep for three days straight playing a god-damn videogame!! I mean, they do this at least once a week!

iwearnosox

Lifer
Oct 26, 2000
Playing too many video games can be a bad thing, I live near Moffett field here in California, and every time a C130 goes overhead my first reaction is to duck, cover and call for air support to take it out. Damn ye, Desert Combat.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
congrats. I stopped playing a while ago. Only the biannual game of CivIII. I even have a Radeon 7200 that I have no intention of upgrading.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Sifl
Playing too many video games can be a bad thing, I live near Moffett field here in California, and every time a C130 goes overhead my first reaction is to duck, cover and call for air support to take it out. Damn ye, Desert Combat.

yes, i've lost the ability to bend at the waist...and twist my neck looking around corners? crazy talk!!!

gotta love how in desert combat u just gotta expose it all to get a good peek.

ErmanC

Oct 25, 2001
Seems like with todays games you need 8 thumbs and the ability to see about 5 seconds into the future anyway. Console games are fun but good grief there's only so many things I can do at one time. Left trigger, Y button, forward on left thumbstick, rolling the right thumbstick...EEEK. I got Amped for the Xbox and that's about the hardest freaking game I've ever played...

Just so I'm not totally off topic - I stayed away from consoles for several years and PC for about 6-8 months and I'm getting back into it now. Sometimes wish I wasn't, I have little enough free time as it is. :)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm 26 and I loved video games for years. I still like them, but I don't love them. I'll go days without playing. Heck I've not played one in 3 weeks. Sometimes I think it's indicative of a life going down the drains (kidding), but really I'm just getting older. I can see how adults never liked my games as kid. I didn't understand then, but I do now. For all the graphics and what not the fact is that a lot of video games are just monotonous and boring. I still know that in my soul I have what's needed to fall head over heels in love with a game, and as recently as last year I was sinking many hours into mech warrior, KOTR, and others... when halo 2 comes out I feel I'll be reborn, but one thing is for sure: I just am not into vgames as much as I used to be.

Techie333

Platinum Member
Jan 20, 2001
I guess it's a cycle because I recently have noticed that I have lost interest also.....almost about 4-5 months now...

Redviffer

Oct 30, 2002
Cyclic: for me it's slow in the summer, I'm usually out riding my motorcycle more. In the winter, I don't ride as much and hit the computer more. Throughout the entire year though, I still usually attend a LAN party once a month or so. To me, it's different than playing online or single player, much more socially interactive.

Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Redviffer
Cyclic: for me it's slow in the summer, I'm usually out riding my motorcycle more. In the winter, I don't ride as much and hit the computer more. Throughout the entire year though, I still usually attend a LAN party once a month or so. To me, it's different than playing online or single player, much more socially interactive.

Hmm, LAN parties . . . more socially interactive . . . so is it *more* dorky to go to one, or is it *less* dorky? ;)

Hmm, well, I'm at home now - found out I usually don't have much to do around here 'cept play videogames . . . so I guess it's a "nothing better to do" thing - :cool:

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
rolleye.gif

rolleye.gif