September 11, 2007

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The people who are taking a thread like this and turning it into a rant about the war on terror or the war in Iraq should be ashamed of themselves.

There are plenty of other threads for you to voice your opinions on those subjects. This thread was clearly intended for people to ?pause and reflect? on what happened that day, not bitch and moan about what has happened since.

Six years ago today nearly three thousand innocent Americans were killed in under two hours time. Have some respect for them and their families and take you petty complaints to other threads.

I quite agree with you John, but the conspiracy theorist tried to hijack this with his tinfoil.

QFT X1000

There are 20 different threads for your 911 conspiracy theories and your Bush hatred and dislike for the war in Iraq, but this is not the thread for any of that. This thread has nothing to do with Bush, or Iraq, or conspiracy theories, it has to due with your reactions to the death of nearly 3000 American citizens which was one of the most tragic days in this countries history. Of all the days to whine and complain about our current policies (and believe me I do alot of it too), this is NOT the day. Of all the threads to make accusations and claims this is NOT that thread. This thread has a simple purpose, explain what you were doing that day and how you were affected.

Jan 9, 2007
There are too many questions that haven't been answered, and there needs to be an investigation. If there is nothing to hide, there will be no problems. At least, that is the rationale that they used on the American people when passing the Patriot Act. If there was absolutely no negligence or wrongdoing, they should want an independent investigation to clear up any confusion, if nothing else. There is just too much that was left unexplained. That doesn't mean, however, that there was a conspiracy. It could just be a giant fustercluck of incompetence.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003

Never said they were; but look who paid for the poll, and how the answers are reported. I bet if I paid for it I could get the results I want too. How come 911truth.org doesn't do a breakdown and release the information from this question in the poll (give you a hint: cuz it doesn't fit their agenda):

402. There are three main schools of thought regarding the 9/11 attacks. The first theory is the official story, and maintains that 19 Arab fundamentalists executed a
surprise attack which caught US intelligence and military forces off guard. The second theory known as Let It Happen argues that certain elements in the US government
knew the attacks were coming but consciously let them proceed for various political, military and economic motives; and the third theory Made It Happen contends that
certain US government elements actively planned or assisted some aspects of the attacks. Based upon your knowledge of 9/11 events and their aftermath, which theory
are you more likely to agree with?

1006 people polled.
Official Story: 639 = 63.6%
Let it happen: 266 = 26.4%
Made it happen: 46 = 4.6%
NS: 54 = 5.4%
Let it happen

So 63% of people polled, an overwhelming majority, believe the official story.

I believe you just got owned by your own poll. Congrats.

And a steady 67-68% believe that no action should be taken against either W or Dick. Another overwhelming majority.

Edit: Poll ?'s and results

The whole pdf you posted 17 pages long from the looks of things you got your wires crossed. The 51% calling for Bush/Cheney (executive branch) to be investigated by Congress comes from pages 9,10,11.

I guess you think Zogby can't add or subtract Sinsear? Seems like everyone likes "owning" people in here. Maybe you just got owned?

Bamacre can you lend a little insight into the numbers? There are multiple sets of data.

http://www.911truth.org/images/ZogbyPoll2007.pdf

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I was 15, and it was the first real awareness I had of the global Islamic Supremacist movement. Since then I?ve taken notice of the countless people across the planet ? especially on the border countries of the Islamic world who are slaughtered in the name of a god.

September 11th clearly drew the battle lines for a war that has not yet begun in earnest. This will be WW3, and we haven?t seen anything yet. Events will unfold that?ll make us think September 11th was just another day in the park.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: dualsmp

Never said they were; but look who paid for the poll, and how the answers are reported. I bet if I paid for it I could get the results I want too. How come 911truth.org doesn't do a breakdown and release the information from this question in the poll (give you a hint: cuz it doesn't fit their agenda):

402. There are three main schools of thought regarding the 9/11 attacks. The first theory is the official story, and maintains that 19 Arab fundamentalists executed a
surprise attack which caught US intelligence and military forces off guard. The second theory known as Let It Happen argues that certain elements in the US government
knew the attacks were coming but consciously let them proceed for various political, military and economic motives; and the third theory Made It Happen contends that
certain US government elements actively planned or assisted some aspects of the attacks. Based upon your knowledge of 9/11 events and their aftermath, which theory
are you more likely to agree with?

1006 people polled.
Official Story: 639 = 63.6%
Let it happen: 266 = 26.4%
Made it happen: 46 = 4.6%
NS: 54 = 5.4%
Let it happen

So 63% of people polled, an overwhelming majority, believe the official story.

I believe you just got owned by your own poll. Congrats.

And a steady 67-68% believe that no action should be taken against either W or Dick. Another overwhelming majority.

Edit: Poll ?'s and results

The whole pdf you posted 17 pages long from the looks of things you got your wires crossed. The 51% calling for Bush/Cheney (executive branch) to be investigated by Congress comes from pages 9,10,11.

I guess you think Zogby can't add or subtract Sinsear? Seems like everyone likes "owning" people in here. Maybe you just got owned?

Bamacre can you lend a little insight into the numbers? There are multiple sets of data.

http://www.911truth.org/images/ZogbyPoll2007.pdf

I can clearly see that. I just cherry picked like your 911truth lunatic fringe group did to fit an agenda. They don't want you to see that the overwhelming majority of people believe in the official story do they? They sure didn't report that on their website, cuz it would show they are in the minority and fringe areas.

403. In October 2006, a New York Times/CBS poll found that only 16% of Americans believe they have been told the whole truth about this administration's
foreknowledge of the September 11 attacks. Based upon your knowledge of 9/11 events, do you agree or disagree that the Congress should investigate the
executive branch's conduct prior to, during and following the September 11 attacks?

It says investigate their conduct. Conduct could be construed as many things. Nowhere does it accuse them of anything or say that anyone in the poll buys into conspiracy theories.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
I was 15, and it was the first real awareness I had of the global Islamic Supremacist movement. Since then I?ve taken notice of the countless people across the planet ? especially on the border countries of the Islamic world who are slaughtered in the name of a god.

September 11th clearly drew the battle lines for a war that has not yet begun in earnest. This will be WW3, and we haven?t seen anything yet. Events will unfold that?ll make us think September 11th was just another day in the park.

I don't know if we're quite at Doomsday yet; but you're right in the battle lines being drawn.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
I can clearly see that. I just cherry picked like your 911truth lunatic fringe group did to fit an agenda. They don't want you to see that the overwhelming majority of people believe in the official story do they? They sure didn't report that on their website.

403. In October 2006, a New York Times/CBS poll found that only 16% of Americans believe they have been told the whole truth about this administration's
foreknowledge of the September 11 attacks. Based upon your knowledge of 9/11 events, do you agree or disagree that the Congress should investigate the
executive branch's conduct prior to, during and following the September 11 attacks?

It says investigate their conduct. Conduct could be construed as many things. Nowhere does it accuse them of anything or say that anyone in the poll buys into conspiracy theories.

Lunatic...nice buzz word.. How bout tin foil or nutter.. You forgot those.

BTW 911truth is not my group.

Your saying cherry picked. Your data was misconstrued by saying, "67-68% believe that no action should be taken against either W or Dick." which is simply wrong . The 51% comes from different pages. Also, Zogby was the one who highlighted the data not me.. Go look again.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1354

Zogby Poll: 51% of Americans Want Congress to Probe Bush/Cheney Regarding 9/11 Attacks; Over 30% Seek Immediate Impeachment

67% also fault 9/11 Commission for not investigating anomalous collapse of World Trade Center 7

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I guess what struck me most about sept 11th besides the tragic loss of life is that when we closed our Airspace we had to for the first time in a long time ask other countries to take the many travelers who were flying in from outside the US and land thoser planes at there airports and be hospitable to those weary travelers!!

I have always been thankful that the Canadians and other said YEs when we asked for assistance!!

Peace!!

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Bamacre can you lend a little insight into the numbers?

:laugh:

Sorry, I hated crosstabs. Oh God, those were always a mess to put together. Seriously, in my ten years in the market research biz, I stayed as far away from crosstabs as possible.

dualsmp

Golden Member
Aug 16, 2003
Originally posted by: bamacre
Bamacre can you lend a little insight into the numbers?

:laugh:

Sorry, I hated crosstabs. Oh God, those were always a mess to put together. Seriously, in my ten years in the market research biz, I stayed as far away from crosstabs as possible.

Yeah the layout of the data was giving me a headache as well. It's certainly not the easiest data to tabulate at a glance.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I was walking back from a meeting with my boss where she had chewed me out for a small mistake. Jeff from down the hall walked up and asked me did I hear about the plane flying into the WTC.

I work about 30 miles from Manhattan. The company sent everyone home about a hour after the second plane hit the tower and the site was closed the next day.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
This video shows how I remember that day and the events afterwards.
rose.gif

A Song Is Born - A 9/11 Tribute

imported_Shivetya

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2005
I don't support the global war on terror, and don't believe the official story about 9/11.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14727720

Do you believe any of the conspiracy theories suggesting the U.S. government was somehow involved in 9/11?

Yes. The government has left many questions unanswered about that day.
67%

No. These theories are absurd and disrespectful -- especially to those who lost their lives on 9/11.
28%

I'm not sure.
5.3%

-------------------------
Ron Paul for President in 2008

Fatherland = Nazi Germany
Motherland = Communist Russia
Homeland = The New Amerika

I don't know a more fitting supporter for Ron Paul than you, certainly covered the stereotypes that doom him

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
I had the news on when they broke in.

I saw that my neighbor across the street was home and she is a flight attendant so I went to see how she was. She was a trembling, crying mess.

While holding her and watching the event still unfold I thought back on how many times I had been there since I grew up outside of New York City and wacthed the Towers built.

My blood was boiling on who did it and how we would strike back.

I marveled at how long they were standing after the impact and knew they were going to come down. I told her I hope everyone that can get out is out including the fire and policemen and then I saw the giant antenna starting to move and knew it was coming down.

Sadly Iraq is not what I had in mind for a strike back on who did this to us.

rose.gif
X all those that died during 9-11 and
rose.gif
X all our soldiers that have died since.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
I had taken the day off and was heading out early in the morning to go surfing to catch the tail-end of a hurricane swell. My wife called and said a plane had hit the WTC and wanted to know if I'd heard anything else about it. I switched to the radio and they were talking about the 2nd building being hit. At the time nobody had any real idea that an attack was in progress so I continued to Patrick AFB and parked at the Officer's Club.

Surf was nice; a very clean and glassy 2 - 4 swell. The weird thing was that I saw a lot of sharks in the water that day. Sharks weren't unusual at the O-Club but so many of them at one time were. No doubt just a strange coincidence.
You surf the O club, then I know I've seen you in the water. BTW, the men in the gray suits, do show up in the shallows to feed after big storms IME.

09/11/01 I saw the 2nd plane hit on the TV, and immediately went and bought even more bottled water * because hey, ya never know*. We always have a lot of storm supplies that time of year already. Then went and stood in line for hours to donate blood.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Originally posted by: nick1985

Just because 51% want them investigated does NOT mean 51% believe those retard conspiricies.

Go find some other thread and "own" someone...and feel powerful doing so.

Oh, dont want to respond? OK.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I do feel sorry for those who lost their lives that day , but I'll have to beg to differ on whether or not the Iraq war is even really part of the "war on terror". that said,
rose.gif

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: nick1985

owned.

oOooo. Nice imput.

Do some research into surveys and polls. You can get almost any answer that you want depending on how you word the questions.

There have been a few programs on Discovery about professional pollers. Its hilarious to watch them get completely opposite answers to the same basic topic from one person by just changing the wording of the question.

Do you think the government has told us everything about 9-11?

Do you believe that the government, or members of the government, where directly involved in 9-11?

Completely different questions but people like you will imply that they mean the same thing.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

BTW 911truth is not my group.

Your saying cherry picked. Your data was misconstrued by saying, "67-68% believe that no action should be taken against either W or Dick." which is simply wrong . The 51% comes from different pages. Also, Zogby was the one who highlighted the data not me.. Go look again.

Zogby did the poll; 911truth highlighted the data to fit their agenda out there on the lunatic fringe. The 51% want an investigation into conduct: I displayed that question above in a previous post and how it was worded. I never denied that. Big deal; another investigation. And my data is factual. I just cherry picked the question I used to report, just like your tinfoil conspiracy site did to fit their agenda; they cherry picked a question and only give you half of the results like 30% want impeachment; as you will see below that is a small minority.

401. Some groups on both the right and left are now petitioning Congress to impeach the President and/or the Vice President. Based on your own knowledge of George Bush's and
Dick Cheney's conduct regarding war policy, detainee treatment, domestic surveillance, the 9/11 attacks and Congressional investigations, which one of the following comes closest
to your opinion?

Number polled: 1004
Congress should start impeachment proceedings against George: 19 = 1.9%
Congress should start impeachment proceedings against Dick C: 29 = 2.9%
Congress should start impeachment proceedings against both: 260 = 25.9%
Congress should take no action on impeaching Bush or Cheney: 672 = 66.9%

Sure you add up your 3 and you get your 30%. Big fucking deal. How come 911truth didn't report the bottom line? 66.9% don't want impeachment. That's an overwhelming majority. Page one of your precious poll. Please tell me that is wrong. And all 3 of the target groups polled about the same with 67-68% saying no action towards impeachment.

Then again, this thread was supposed to be about 9/11 and remembering those who died, and where we were when it happened. So can you please take your tinfoil asshattery, that is clearly in the minority according to your poll, and bring it somewhere else.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
I was sitting in class my senior year of HS, when one of my classmates walked in late and told us a plane had hit the WTC. We turned on a TV and were watching just after the second plane had hit. We sat mesmerized in front of the TV for the entire rest of the day.

9/11 is a day I'll never forget.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
It is true that 9/11 is to this generation what 11/22/63 was to the previous. You'll always recall exactly where you were and what you were doing.

As for me, I was working on a client's machine. I happened to hear something about the airspace being shut down but I didn't really pay that much attention at first. It wasn't too long after that I turned on the TV and felt my heart sink at the images I was shown.

I will never forget.

Feb 6, 2007
It was my freshman year of college, second week of classes, so I was still getting acclimated to that. I was asleep (West Coaster), and my alarm woke me up with some woman in mid-sentence "... plane has hit the World Trade Center, there was an explosion..." I switched off the alarm, and noticed my roommate still asleep. "Hey," I said, shaking him, "I think the news just said that someone bombed the World Trade Center." He brushed me away and rolled over. I threw on some clothes and went down to the common area, where a large group of students was beginning to gather around the lone TV in the building, dutifully watching the first images being played on CNN.

In a daze, I wandered off to my class, art history 100. When I arrived, I found my professor choking back tears. She informed us that class was cancelled, but that we were welcome to stay and watch the news on the projector. I left. I was unsure what to do at that point, as I had no classes for the rest of the day. Normally a Tuesday without classes was a joyous occasion, but this was entirely different. The mood on campus was eery, a still, unnerving calm that kept people on autopilot, walking to class with a glazed look on their face, barely acknowledging the presence of their friends and colleagues. Everyone was a grim specter, unable to articulate on what we were realizing was to be one of those moments that defines a generation. Here it was, our moment, and we were unable to speak.

I wandered around between the dorms, looking in to see crowds huddled in front of TVs, watching those same videos played back on loop, trying to cope with a communal loss of innocence. I wandered down to the campus rose garden, to a nice, secluded bench, and sat, looking out over the river, off towards the city. I stayed there for some time, reflecting on the juxtaposition of external serenity and internal chaos. I was reminded of the words of Franklin Roosevelt: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." I steadied my nerve and walked back up the hill.

I entered the dorm to find the news reports shifting to talking about the heroism of the firefighters and rescue workers. My school, reacting swiftly, had set aside the entirety of the next day for panel discussions and roundtables on the attacks. At that moment I was filled with a terrific sense of hope, of pride. My country would get through this. The people were coming together, rebuilding, joining in a common goal, refusing to be afraid. I have never been so proud to be an American.

Sep 12, 2004
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
Originally posted by: TastesLikeChicken
I had taken the day off and was heading out early in the morning to go surfing to catch the tail-end of a hurricane swell. My wife called and said a plane had hit the WTC and wanted to know if I'd heard anything else about it. I switched to the radio and they were talking about the 2nd building being hit. At the time nobody had any real idea that an attack was in progress so I continued to Patrick AFB and parked at the Officer's Club.

Surf was nice; a very clean and glassy 2 - 4 swell. The weird thing was that I saw a lot of sharks in the water that day. Sharks weren't unusual at the O-Club but so many of them at one time were. No doubt just a strange coincidence.
You surf the O club, then I know I've seen you in the water. BTW, the men in the gray suits, do show up in the shallows to feed after big storms IME.
I've surfed there plenty of times before and since and haven't seen the same number I did that day.

And, yeah, I primarily surf Crecent Beach, O-Club, and sometimes Tables when it's small but head south on bigger days. When it gets over 4 feet you can't beat Melbourne's punchy surf, not to mention the fine scenery at the Boardwalk. :) Had to miss the little swell last Sunday. Damn obligations you can't wriggle out of always seem to coincide with good surf.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
If you remember one thing about 9/11 kids, it's that it was our fault. Just ask BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews...id_1612600/1612653.stm

(Do kids the age of whom would enjoy the nauseating color palette offered at "BBC for Kids" really search out news/political websites for info?)

See I would have started with a "Some people have a misguided view of their religion..."