NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Okay, first question: if they don't offer more, will you still accept the job?

I mean, you don't want to deliver an ultimatum and have them call your bluff and left standing with nothing.

On the other hand, if you're not able to accept the position unless they offer more, then I see no reason not to (politely) say so directly.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I don't have a suggestion for you both both lines sound really cheese, IMO. I would not want to be an employer reading that, especially as a closing line.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
A. looks ok except i'd maybe change 'a bit more.' it came off as lacking confidence (maybe not to everyone, that's just the first impression i got).

i'd rule out B. altogether as the second part sounds inordinately obtuse. :)P)

or you can go with my suggestion:
"thanks, yo"

theMan

Diamond Member
Mar 17, 2005
B makes you sound like a jerk. In A, take out "a bit more", and take out "it would do a lot" and replace it with something that sounds more professional, i dont know, look in the thesaurus or something.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
I don't like either of those.

I think negotiating salary via letter is not the best idea. Better to give the HR person a friendly call and say you were looking to make a little more, and then give them a good reason that explains why you deserve it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention... a good reason you deserve it has be a good reason from the employer's perspective, not yours. An employer isn't going to raise their offer simply because you say you want your kid to go to a better school or you deserve to drive a nicer car (which is essentially what you are saying when you use the term "econimic justification"). Give them a reason that means something to them... like how hard you work or how dedicated your are in solving problems.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: theman
B makes you sound like a jerk. In A, take out "a bit more", and take out "it would do a lot" and replace it with something that sounds more professional, i dont know, look in the thesaurus or something.

agreed ;)

OP, what'd you go with? You went with B, huh?