[Semiaccurate] GK104/Kepler/GTX680 Next Week?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
Agreed with this.

I don't considering a car the same.

While I have plenty of friends that you can say are in love with their cars. You won't see any of them in car forum fighting with people they don't know. They would you know rather be out driving and doing what they love to do. And some of them when they buy a car they may keep it for 30 years. Its a far bigger investment than a PC.

When was the last time you picked up a Date with your videocard?

you need to spend more time on car forums other than "the garage" here...hello chevy vs ford (i.e. camaro vs mustang), import vs domestic, and so forth...

or spend some time on motorcycle forums... hello suzuki vs kawasaki (i.e. hayabusa vs zx14)

to stay on topic, all the rumors are just rumors... i look forward to the official announcements

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
you need to spend more time on car forums other than "the garage" here...hello chevy vs ford (i.e. camaro vs mustang), import vs domestic, and so forth...

or spend some time on motorcycle forums... hello suzuki vs kawasaki (i.e. hayabusa vs zx14)

to stay on topic, all the rumors are just rumors... i look forward to the official announcements

I was referring to my own friends who are adults. I'm sure those other forums also have children and fighting aswell.

And yes the highend battle should be interesting this time around.

Elganja

Platinum Member
May 21, 2007
I was referring to my own friends who are adults. I'm sure those other forums also have children and fighting aswell.

And yes the highend battle should be interesting this time around.

some of these "children" who have these arguments about cars and have brand loyalty are in MotoGP, NHRA, Nascar and Formula 1. The drag racing scene alone has a constant battles going back and forth.

the point is, if you are passionate about something you will argue/defend it to no end (sport teams is another example).

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
the point is, if you are passionate about something you will argue/defend it to no end (sport teams is another example).

Damn, then pity my future kids, because I'd throw them to the wolves first chance I get. Haha. Aiming to be a troll dad :D

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Yes but if I can ignore their arguments and refer to them as children I'll have a much better time easing my mind that all is well and my opinion is still the correct one.

GL being a troll dad, I get trolled all day long. I get duped by a 5 month old more than I care to admit.

After you change a diaper, they get a troll face and you check and there is now solids where there was none before.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
some of these "children" who have these arguments about cars and have brand loyalty are in MotoGP, NHRA, Nascar and Formula 1. The drag racing scene alone has a constant battles going back and forth.

Ok now we are getting ahead of ourselves.

I'm not talking about people that are involved in the industry. I'm talking about the average forum user. That is different than green vs red battles that goes on many internet forums.

And yes being passionate is good. But thread crapping, causing arguments and just being plain disrespectful to other users in the forum which are things fanboys do is not a good thing.

But lets stay on topic.

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Assuming GK104 is a 900MHz, 256bit Bus card, can it realistically beat a 7950? Hmm, well, initially I thought not likely but I'm not as sure now. A 7870 is almost as fast as a 7950, faster in one or two benchmarks. Given that this is AMDs first try at a compute heavy architecture and NVs second, and given how close the 7870 is to the 7950, I'm not sure this is as unlikely as I initially made it out to be.

So, now the only question is price. And seeing how AMD utterly embarrassed NV on price when it released the 4000 series, I think it would be appropriate for NV to now do the same to AMD. Come on NV, I double dog dare you to release Kepler at ridiculously low prices that force AMD to drop their prices in shame. Payback is hell. Do it! Do it! A price war is always the best revenge!;)

p_monks33

Golden Member
May 22, 2011
Hey Elganja whats your monitor setup there in your signature pic. Thats pretty sweet care to share details. Sorry for the hijack.

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Assuming GK104 is a 900MHz, 256bit Bus card, can it realistically beat a 7950? Hmm, well, initially I thought not likely but I'm not as sure now. A 7870 is almost as fast as a 7950, faster in one or two benchmarks. Given that this is AMDs first try at a compute heavy architecture and NVs second, and given how close the 7870 is to the 7950, I'm not sure this is as unlikely as I initially made it out to be.

So, now the only question is price. And seeing how AMD utterly embarrassed NV on price when it released the 4000 series, I think it would be appropriate for NV to now do the same to AMD. Come on NV, I double dog dare you to release Kepler at ridiculously low prices that force AMD to drop their prices in shame. Payback is hell. Do it! Do it! A price war is always the best revenge!;)

Add a "No balls!" if you get any answer from Nvidia and you'll have a deal.

:D

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011

i would love a price drop...
but seriously, it's not the same story, the 4000 series benefited alot from gddr5, and it was half the size of nvidia flagship at that time...

i can't really imagine kepler beeing 180mm² or using some obscure memory...
nor nvidia hight-end card costing 300 bucks

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
First, and most interesting: with some models of the GeForce 600, NVIDIA will introduce a load-based clock speed-boost feature (think: Intel Turbo Boost), which steps up clock speeds of the graphics card when subjected to heavy loads. If there's a particularly stressing 3D scene for the GPU to render, it overclocks itself, and sees the scene through. This ensures higher minimum and average frame-rates.

Second, you probably already know this, but GK104 does indeed feature 1,536 CUDA cores, which lend it a strong number-crunching muscle that helps with shading, post-processing, and GPGPU.

Third, the many-fold increase in CUDA cores doesn't necessarily amount to a linear increase in performance, when compared to the previous generation. The GeForce GTX 680 is about 10% faster than Radeon HD 7970, in Battlefield 3. In the same comparison, the GTX 680 is slower than HD 7970 at 3DMark 11.

nice! price war is going to be goooood
http://www.techpowerup.com/161972/GeForce-GTX-680-Features-Speed-Boost-Arrives-This-Month-etc.-etc..html

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Oh boy, Nvidia turbo boost, lol... That's going to be called cheating, not real and not fair, wahhhh ! Because that's exactly what we heard when the i5 750 launched with it.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Oh boy, Nvidia turbo boost, lol... That's going to be called cheating, not real and not fair, wahhhh !

Same thing as overclocking. I see nothing wrong with officially sanctioned "OCing". As long as power consumption stays within pci-e specs I see no problem with "turbo-boost".

As long as it boosts like hell spawns! :p And not like 25Mhz or something silly like that.

Last edited:

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
Oh boy, Nvidia turbo boost, lol... That's going to be called cheating, not real and not fair, wahhhh ! Because that's exactly what we heard when the i5 750 launched with it.

Agree 10000% :thumbsup:

THE AMOUNT OF WHINING WILL BE EPIX

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Nvidia always delivers the best products, GK110 will probably compete with AMD's dual card solution like in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.