[Semiaccurate] GK104/Kepler/GTX680 Next Week?

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
i'm afraid this has been proven in the past repeatedly if i'm not mistaken and yet here we are

Well, this time it's really blatant and easily referenced the next time someone says "Charlie was usually right most of the time!" BS. He's got about as much of a clue about Kepler as a lug nut.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Well, this time it's really blatant and easily referenced the next time someone says "Charlie was usually right most of the time!" BS. He's got about as much of a clue about Kepler as a lug nut.

Racist against lug nuts are we? Tsk tsk

gdmk

Oct 25, 2011
http://www.chiphell.com/thread-367824-1-1.html

23475581.jpg

30533255.jpg

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
From fud:

We are still trying to chase down more sources and try to confirm some other rumours, but for now we are hearing that the performance should be quite similar to the Radeon HD 7970 as the new GTX 680 card wins in some benchmarks and games and lose in some others.

Price:

The decision to go for a $550 price tag doesn't come as a surprise although we were hoping that Nvidia might go for a lower price in order to hurt AMD sales and restart those price wars we all love. Of course, price is never carved in stone and Nvidia can easily change it, but for now, our sources are pretty sure about it.

Last edited:

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Is there any post where you actually don't troll???
But yes, 550 is way out of line. Sorry to disappoint you, no apologist over here.

BoFox

May 10, 2008
Naw, not out of line if it's 10-20 (or even 30%) faster than HD 7970.

HD 7970 would be reduced by $50-100.

And then AMD rolls out cherry-picked overclocked samples of HD 7970, and call it "GHz Edition", just like with HD 7770 and HD 7870 - except that it'd be much more than just 1 GHz (probably 1150-1200 MHz), for up to 30% perf increase.

It might be just like X800XT Platinum Edition - just something for the review sites, too limited edition supply for retail anyways (priced at $599 or so).

And GTX 680 would be right where NV wants it to be, $549.. especially given the initial 28nm supply.

Then NV might do 680 Ti and 670 Ti using 8+6-pin tower connectors and 6+6-pin flat connectors. The 680 Ti would also be more expensive, just as hot and power-hungry as GTX 580 after upping the voltage as much as possible, also very limited edition at $649 or so, just to one-up AMD's counter-move.

The competition is gonna be fierce!!!!!!!!!

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
So focus is attempted shifted away from performance to some FOTM metric...like "small dies" or "perf/watt".

Funny.

Riek

Dec 16, 2008
So focus is attempted shifted away from performance to some FOTM metric...like "small dies" or "perf/watt".

Funny.

Can you blame people? Maybe if their were performance metrics and ballparks... people would keep discussion that.. But discussing the unknown?? yeah exactly.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011

Funny.

There are some people who are interested in the technical side of things. If you're not one of them, let the others discuss.

BoFox

May 10, 2008

Funny.

Yep, all the funnier given that AMD lied about Bulldozer's transistor number. Dave Baumann (AMD's manager) recently had something to say about this:

Dave Baumann said:
A published transistor number is really a marketing number - it has no practical use and the reported number will make no difference on how an application works, it is immaterial to all intents a purposes (and the difference in numbers just relates to what is actually counted and whether it is consistent with previous numbers released).
from: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1625772&postcount=105

Dave Baumann joined ATI as technical marketing manager, and is now AMD Product Manager. He was originally Beyond3D's chief editor, before being hired by ATI. What was being discussed in the above quoted post is the misleading number of 2 billion transistors for Bulldozer that AMD published at the time of launch. About 3 months after launch, the number was revised to 1.2 Billion transistors, a huge 800M difference.
(Anand did an article on this issue alone: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5176/amd-revises-bulldozer-transistor-count-12b-not-2b )

Well, check out Apoppin's reponse over at: http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=24247&start=230#p60262

So funny!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I'm skeptical about GK104 being 294mm^2. It looks like as if it's more than 320mm^2.

Last edited:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

Is it just me or does that card look too big for a 190W (supposedly midrange (performance) part) graphics card? That's assuming it's the GK104 based Kepler in his hand. And why wouldn't he actually show it and let people look at it? Hmmm?

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I did not realize that nvidia launched 680.

They didn't....didn't you get the "memo"?
It's "delayed"...wich is quite a feat for an unannouced GFX card...:sneaky:

Threads like this is the reason of my signature...

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
Is it just me or does that card look too big for a 190W (supposedly midrange (performance) part) graphics card? That's assuming it's the GK104 based Kepler in his hand. And why wouldn't he actually show it and let people look at it? Hmmm?

Apparently this is an example of one of the coolest people you'd ever meet... Am I missing something?
I'm referring to the man in the photo not Vagabond btw.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
They didn't....didn't you get the "memo"?
It's "delayed"...wich is quite a feat for an unannouced GFX card...:sneaky:

Threads like this is the reason of my signature...

So basically it's unannounced and completely unknown and no one knows when it might launch, if ever.

So basically, people should stop waiting and just buy a card now? And if they want the best card, but AMD?
I mean, there's no guarantee that NV will even release a card. They haven't said they will be releasing a high end or even mid range consumer card, they have talked about their next gen HPC architecture. Kepler.

Arzachel

Apr 7, 2011

Plastic bags are the new woodscrews :D

HEY GUYS, Nvidia is totally coming out with an ownage card, It's gonna spank the 7970 by 30%, cost 300$ and run on a 200W PSU and come with a free pony!!! Except that it'll cost 550$ not 300$, whoops. About the performance... yeah, it's not going to beat the 7970 by 30%. More like trade blows. And you'll need a beefier PSU, the cards rated at 190W ...No that's not the maximum power draw, thats Optimum Balanced Load Median™ TDP. And it's coming out 2 months later than 7970. Wait, make that 3. At least you still get the pony! ...Yeah, about that pony...

Eh, bring on the 7870 competitor and I'll be happy.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
So basically it's unannounced and completely unknown and no one knows when it might launch, if ever.

So basically, people should stop waiting and just buy a card now? And if they want the best card, but AMD?
I mean, there's no guarantee that NV will even release a card. They haven't said they will be releasing a high end or even mid range consumer card, they have talked about their next gen HPC architecture. Kepler.

Yeah, people should go out and buy a new card if they need one right now.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009

Nice fallacy...but not biting.

My only grief are with the red team posters (that are not going to buy the card) have gone into "Silly season"-overdrive...and try really hard paint a picture...blindfolded.

But on the other hand...between alll the false claims and some&mirrors...there is some laughs to be had....a few...the rest is just /facepalm.

Status
Not open for further replies.