Self-Defense gun kills 3 year old boy

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
Wow Nebor just punk'd 90% of ATP&N.

Hey Nebor, did I mention to you that I just bought a AK-47, a Walther G22, and a Glock 27? I take the CCW class on Dec. 30th.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Backyard pools kill far more children than self-defense guns.

Yeah it's sad but the amount of children killed by guns in the home is pretty low compared to drownings or burnings.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno

Yeah it's sad but the amount of children killed by guns in the home is pretty low compared to drownings or burnings.

Maybe compare the number of kids who swim and end up dead with the number of kids who play with guns and end up dead to see which is more deadly to them.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Maybe compare the number of kids who swim and end up dead with the number of kids who play with guns and end up dead to see which is more deadly to them.

I'd bet pools would still be way more dangerous, considering the millions of kids involved in competitive, olympic and recreational shooting.

There's about 250 million guns in America. There's far, far fewer pools. And yet, more deaths from pools.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Unheard
Wow Nebor just punk'd 90% of ATP&N.

Hey Nebor, did I mention to you that I just bought a AK-47, a Walther G22, and a Glock 27? I take the CCW class on Dec. 30th.

OMG, an AK-47? You don't need one of those to hunt. Those high powered bullet hoses are only good for shooting up shopping malls and churches. I bet it came with those green tipped bullets that seek out small children, didn't it? It's GWBs fault he let the AWB expire and weapons like these flood the streets of America. :|

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Nebor

I'd bet pools would still be way more dangerous, considering the millions of kids involved in competitive, olympic and recreational shooting.

There's about 250 million guns in America. There's far, far fewer pools. And yet, more deaths from pools.

That's likely correct, but that wasn't the discussion.

He said "children killed by guns in the home" and compared it to swimming. You added competetive olympic and recreational shooting, which is a category irrelevant to this thread which you started, namely accidental deaths among children in the home.

So compare the percentage of the millions of kids who swim in backyard pools who die, with the (unknown) number of kids who find mommy's gun and play with it and die. It's not really something easily statistically measurable.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001

That's likely correct, but that wasn't the discussion.

He said "children killed by guns in the home" and compared it to swimming. You added competetive olympic and recreational shooting, which is a category irrelevant to this thread which you started, namely accidental deaths among children in the home.

So compare the percentage of the millions of kids who swim in backyard pools who die, with the (unknown) number of kids who find mommy's gun and play with it and die. It's not really something easily statistically measurable.

Okay. Let's narrow it to an age group that isn't competitively swimming and generally hasn't learned to swim. The age group 0-4 has roughly 450 drownings per year most of that comes from backyard swimming pools. The number of deaths from firearms in that age group is roughly 20. Even when you extend that out until 14, it's only 80 total.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be consequences for people that don't properly stow away their guns, I'm just saying that gun fatalities among children is sensationalized.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
As much as you would like to make it about gun laws, its not. It's responsible parenting at fault.

What purpose could this woman possibly have for owning a pump action assault style automatic shotgun?

What right do you have to tell her she can't have one? She's stupid for not getting a gun lock and putting it away where they couldn't use it. Stupid people make stupid decisions every day, including drunk driving, and driving on the cell phone. Should we remove all possibility of those two also?

What good is a gun lock if someone beats your door down... Are you gonna say wait a minute I'm need a few more seconds to get the lock off my gun??? If you have kids best not even own a gun.

Sigh...

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: ericlp
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
As much as you would like to make it about gun laws, its not. It's responsible parenting at fault.

What purpose could this woman possibly have for owning a pump action assault style automatic shotgun?

What right do you have to tell her she can't have one? She's stupid for not getting a gun lock and putting it away where they couldn't use it. Stupid people make stupid decisions every day, including drunk driving, and driving on the cell phone. Should we remove all possibility of those two also?

What good is a gun lock if someone beats your door down... Are you gonna say wait a minute I'm need a few more seconds to get the lock off my gun??? If you have kids best not even own a gun.

Sigh...

Ummm....you don't say anything, you just go unlock your gun.....:confused:

You will most likely have time to unlock your gun, unless the intruder knows the exact layout of your house, beats down your door within seconds and sprints up to your bedroom and starts shooting.